When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mbw nautilus owners are gonna love this

rkdk

Well. my mbw nautilus broke down. dont know what happened, but the movement stopped, and i took it to my watchsmith.

Mind you this guy is a fanatic. he has a bunch of higend gens, and is a super cool guy.

i left it there for a full service, and i collected it today. he told me that he had never seen such a fantastic rep of the 3700. he had brought the watch over to his friend (who has the gen) in order to figure out wether it was a rep or not. (i didnt say it was a rep)

They had been comparing the two, and except from the movement, there was no difference in finish and craftmanship at all. He was especially impressed by how good the crown was made. he couldnt stop staring at it with his lupe. quite funny.

At first he had thought it was a gen with a new movement, but after some looking he found out it was a rep.

He actually asked if i could get him one.

So guys. no problem in wearing this in to ads all over the world. unless they open it, they will never know :p :p

well, i had removed the second hand, so it was only the little round plate (same as on the royal oak jumbo). but as he said. at first he thought it was a gen with a movement transplant.

There are actually quite a bit of differences in the rep compared to any of the Nautilus models...past or present. But I will definetly agree that the MBW Nautilus is a very well made and beautiful watch...rep or gen.

Since receiving mine I have stopped changing watches on a daily basis. It is simply the most beautiful watch I own.

I have to agree with another member here now when he says, 'Quality...not Quantity'.post-22-1187275077_thumb.jpg

well, aparently there isnt much of a difference between the original 3700 jumbo and the mbw jumbo.

but then again he was so focused on the craftmanship, he didnt notice the connected dots dial flaw. i guess that would take a true patek nerd.

the new nautillus and the mbw are miles apart for sure.

In my research of the history of the Nautilus what I have been able to determine is that the 'Nautica' and the 'Nautilus' with the Roman Numeral Dial face are the only PP that had the connected 'line' around the dial.

For the most part the original 3700 introduced in the 70's, and then the 3800 introduced in the late 80's early 90's, regardless whether they were the 36mm or the 'Jumbo' at 42mm those models all had unconnected 'dot's', not the connected line around the dial.

The newer 5711 model introduced in 2006/07 is in fact 43mm not 42mm like the original jumbos. Additionally, the addition of the seconds hand on the 5711, as well as the sapphire back is different than the 3700 or the 3800 jumbos which had the solid back.

There are other differences in the dial as well in the rep. The copy on the dial is in a different posisition, and the font on the date wheel is inaccurate in comparison to the gen in all models.

Nevertheless, the rep currently available in the MBW, either with the connected line, or with the independent dot pattern is without doubt one of the best rep watches currently available on this or any other forum. For the money it cannot be beat, IMO.

In my research of the history of the Nautilus what I have been able to determine is that the 'Nautica' and the 'Nautilus' with the Roman Numeral Dial face are the only PP that had the connected 'line' around the dial.

For the most part the original 3700 introduced in the 70's, and then the 3800 introduced in the late 80's early 90's, regardless whether they were the 36mm or the 'Jumbo' at 42mm those models all had unconnected 'dot's', not the connected line around the dial.

The newer 5711 model introduced in 2006/07 is in fact 43mm not 42mm like the original jumbos. Additionally, the addition of the seconds hand on the 5711, as well as the sapphire back is different than the 3600 or the 3700 jumbos which had the solid back.

There are other differences in the dial as well in the rep. The copy on the dial is in a different posisition, and the font on the date wheel is inaccurate in comparison to the gen in all models.

Nevertheless, the rep currently available in the MBW, either with the connected line, or with the independent dot pattern is without doubt one of the best rep watches currently available on this or any other forum. For the money it cannot be beat, IMO.

Also I have seen this incredibile error in a rep very good. The error ruine the best work

Only roman numerals have the connected 'line' around the dial , all marks dials not have the connected line around the dial. it is truly a incomprensibile error, sin, the rep is very very nice

post-3745-1187372494_thumb.jpg

Well, the point of my post was not really the dial flaw. I think all owners of the rep are aware of this by now.

My point was that the craftmanship is on par with the gen. I dont think anybody but us will ever know wether there is a connected line dial or not.

Most Gen enthusuasts notice the details first. and with a watch that old, a "special dial", is quite plausible. Most gen owners wont know, and thats for sure.

well, aparently there isnt much of a difference between the original 3700 jumbo and the mbw jumbo.

but then again he was so focused on the craftmanship, he didnt notice the connected dots dial flaw. i guess that would take a true patek nerd.

the new nautillus and the mbw are miles apart for sure.

I always wonder when people will start to figure this out.

If the watch has all the quality and finish of the gen, a minor tell on a vintage watch will be much less conspicuous.