When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Differnt strokes for different folks

BobM

I have been a member for only 2-3 weeks. I certainly am still learning. I hope and expect I will be learning next year at this time. However, I have learned a lot by crawling all over this site, and by evesdropping on discussions about the choices others have made. I have been trying to put together a plan for myself, based on the knowledge I have gleaned from y'all. I thank you for being available to me, for my interests.

I have put together a plan for a series of watch purchases. What was a surprise to me is that my selections of items to buy clearly doesn't seem to match the popular selections among this group. ?? I am not sure why. Maybe it is just a case of personal preferences. Maybe it is that I just still don't know enough to be making the right choices. My criteria for selection may certainly be entirely different from the common criteria in place here.

I have not a single Submariner, nor Planet Ocean, nor Panerai within the 11 watches I have on my list. I think it is not so significant what I do have on my list; it is simply a surprise to me that it seems so different from the common judgement within this group. And, I wonder why.

I had three watches at the top of my list when I came here. I have ordered one of those and have the other two lined up for next purchases. After scouring the available choices I have learned to my surprise that I am mainly an "Omega man". Five Omegas, 3 Rolexes (including one for the Mrs.), 2 IWCs, and one (maybe 2) Breitings ... with the plan to buy one a month. That will give me time to execute each buy with some precision, and to enjoy each new watch before putting it into a normal rotation for wear.

I plan to be "adventurous" in my choice of dealers from whom I will buy each watch. Maybe after ourchasing six or so, I may have enough experience (hard knocks?) to isolate one or two suppliers to rely on ... maybe by then I will have sorted out the special capabilities/services of specific dealers.

But what is interesting to me is the variance I have in my selections from the apparent common selections within this group. Is this something you have experienced in yourselves? ... perhaps when you were new to the hobby? ... or for some other reasons that, by now, you have sorted out? I am interested.

You have an interesting take on your approach to getting involved in this hobby. Your choice of watches is a personal choice that only you can make and there is certainly no fault there. The one thing that I would caution you about is your "adventurous" selection of dealers. In my experience, you can expect to have good and bad experiences with the same dealer. Often watches are "drop shipped" and your dealer never sees them restulting in a less than well made watch arriving at your door. Sending a watch back to China is a real PITA and the end result is frequently less than satisfactory. There are several dealers who claim to inspect each watch prior to shipment which might be worth your consideration. Establishing a good relationship with a particular dealer can have it's advantages.

What I can add is that my taste and what I thought I was looking for coming into the forums in 2004 is very different from what has ended up in my collection. I have had a lot of watches come and go but have settled into a nice blend of styles - most of which I never thought of when I started participating in the discussions on RWG ^_^

Beware on Panerai-itis B)

What I can add is that my taste and what I thought I was looking for coming into the forums in 2004 is very different from what has ended up in my collection. I have had a lot of watches come and go but have settled into a nice blend of styles - most of which I never thought of when I started participating in the discussions on RWG ^_^

Beware on Panerai-itis B)

BobM, More power to you for making your own decisions rather than simply following the crowd. As long as you research them well and are happy with the results, then that is what counts.

I also agree with dluddy that tastes evolve over time. Your list of 10 or so watches that you want to buy is rather large. Despite the ongoing upheavals in the rep market, I'm always amazed at the speed with which many members build up their collections. Your "one a month" strategy is by no means the most agressive that I have seen here, but I ask myself, "what's the hurry?"

I typically have two to four on my list, and that list changes after every watch that I add to my collection, as a I study more, and as new models come out. For example, I had never owned or particularly coveted a Panerai until the 192 came out and suddenly it jumped to the top of my list. Similarly, I was slow to warm up to Breitlings, but when the Chronomat Evolution came out I saw a watch that I really, really wanted. And I would wager that some watch that I had never even thought of before will be released in the next year that I just have to have.

I disagree with the statement "perfection comes sometime before taste." I would avoid a watch that I coveted if it was too inaccurate or otherwise of poor quality, but there is also no way that I would buy a perfect anything if it didn't resonate strongly with me.

I, too, would be interested in seeing specifics on your list.

I disagree with the statement "perfection comes sometime before taste." I would avoid a watch that I coveted if it was too inaccurate or otherwise of poor quality, but there is also no way that I would buy a perfect anything if it didn't resonate strongly with me.

ok, ok, I'm a maniac, I admit... :p

As far as choosing a collector goes....careful consideration is important.

When I started fresh I was still nervous about spending money with "unknown" people. I picked a collector based in part on reputation and in large part because they took paypal. No hassle for me....no private info passed on....very simple.

Now with more time here I know that many are reputable and quality varies greatly. Paying by credit card is easy also. Using a virtual card number from paypal allows me to buy from people who take cards....yet the funds still come from my account.

I'm switching collectors from now on. Trying to establish a relationship with a particular collector has not happened no matter how many watches I've gotten (or aallll the money I've sent his way). My last few purchases have been disappointing....with the final straw being the ridiculously misaligned date wheel on his aquaracer chrono that just arrived.

Another 288 down the..... :angry:

For me.....nothing but collectors who are inspectors from now on.

Drop kick the drop shippers. :bangin:

If you have a list of possible buys..great..Just read as much as you can on those particular models, youll be amazed at how much recent and not so recent threads tehre are regarding countless models and variants.. As a relative noob myself, I found the Search function to be priceless.

... The one thing that I would caution you about is your "adventurous" selection of dealers. In my experience, you can expect to have good and bad experiences with the same dealer. ... There are several dealers who claim to inspect each watch prior to shipment which might be worth your consideration. Establishing a good relationship with a particular dealer can have it's advantages.

And I hope to get to a state of knowledge to be able to do that or at least to focus on maybe 2 really good dealers. Interesting point about good and bad expereinces even with the same dealer. Thanks.

What may differ between the general and common choices and yours is that we're a bunch a fanatic looking for the perfect rep, perfection comes sometime before taste...

Cheers

I do see that. I think, though, that my expereince with rep watches will be something like my experience with truely high fidelity sound ... About a certain level of fifelity I cannot actually hear the difference, even if I know that sound is purer. I believe I will get to a point of understanding with replica watches that their fidelity beyond a certain point will be immaterial to me. I think my standard of acceptability will be pretty high but probably not as high as yours nor that of many other really good "replica perfection" freaks (meant in a good way!) here.

... Your "one a month" strategy is by no means the most agressive that I have seen here, but I ask myself, "what's the hurry?"

I am sure tmy plan is not the most agressive, but I don't want it to be. I agree with you, "What's the hurry?" I would characteerized my plan as "considered and paced".

I typically have two to four on my list, and that list changes after every watch that I add to my collection, as a I study more, and as new models come out.

I am sure you are right about that, too. I expect my list will change and shuffle some befor I make 6 buys.

As far as choosing a collector goes....careful consideration is important.

I have come to believe this one of teh very most important elements in the buying process. Still, I am in a learning mode and will continue to be foe several months, I am sure. The pursuit of understanding and gaining knowledge is a great part of the pleasure for me. So, I will be "adventurous" in selecting my suppliers even if it 'hurts' ... and I realize it might.

For me.....nothing but collectors who are inspectors from now on.

That is a piece of your experience I will remember, Thank you.

If you have a list of possible buys..great..Just read as much as you can on those particular models, youll be amazed at how much recent and not so recent threads tehre are regarding countless models and variants.. As a relative noob myself, I found the Search function to be priceless.

Yes, that is - in part - why I will be buying one a month. Between purchases I wil be researching the bejesus our of my 'next' buy. There is a lot of great data on this site, available to me from the supplier if I will but ask, and in the experiences of the members of this community on whom I will rely for answers to questions I cannot find by independent reseach. And, ... I will be counting on some discussions between members and with me to flush out questions I never thought to ask.

I, too, would be interested in seeing specifics on your list.

Okay. A couple of your have asked. I just didn't want to bore anybody, but I will certainly value your comments. However, I will set out the list in a separate post. Look for "Newcomer's choices".

Thanks to all.

Bob,

I have no Rolex or Pams that are going to be staying in my collection. I still have a GMT II, but probably not for much longer.

You want my advice? Buy the super-reps.

There it is in a sentence. I half-begrudgingly say it, because I don't like some of the things they stand for, but that's the best advice I could give a noob.

So based on your list, I'd buy a uPO, Cousteau, perhaps an Ingy, etc...