When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So...what did I get ?

iKst

Hi,

i bought my first rep a week or so ago and i like it very much. Its a 4th gen PO from Andrew and besides a bit dodgy bracelet clasp (not a big deal really) its really nice. Im wearing it all the time and it seems to be waterproof :)

But lately i started reading more about dealers that sell ETA movements that are actualy asian copies, sapphire glass that isnt sapphire etc. Like i said, i like my watch but i would like to know what exactly i have.

So, can someone please tell me if 4th gen. PO from Andrew has the real ETA movement, real sapphire etc.

Hi,

i bought my first rep a week or so ago and i like it very much. Its a 4th gen PO from Andrew and besides a bit dodgy bracelet clasp (not a big deal really) its really nice. Im wearing it all the time and it seems to be waterproof :)

But lately i started reading more about dealers that sell ETA movements that are actualy asian copies, sapphire glass that isnt sapphire etc. Like i said, i like my watch but i would like to know what exactly i have.

So, can someone please tell me if 4th gen. PO from Andrew has the real ETA movement, real sapphire etc.

Hi, and welcome. Without pics of the movement, it's hard to really say what the movement is. With regards the sapphire crystal, the term used is synthetic sapphire. This does not mean that it is a fake sapphire, like pleather is fake leather, it means that the sapphire has been produced under lab conditions. A better term would be 'synthesized sapphire'. One way of testing for a sapphire crystal, is putting a droplet of water on the lens. If it spreads out, it is regular mineral glass. If it remains in a uniform shape, then chances are it is sapphire. The only problem with this is things like AR coating and the shape of the crystal can give false results. The only other real way of testing it (without non-invasive professional tools) is to try and scratch the crystal with a pin. If it doesn't scratch, it's sapphire. If it scratches, then it wasn't. But, you then wind up with a scratched crystal. Probably best to just accept the watch 'as is', and just try not to hit the crystal on anything :)

The movement traders involved in this are certified watch makers, which allows them the ability to order swiss ETA movements in bulk annually. If you purchase swiss ETA from one of the reputable collectors, then that is what you get.

The movement traders involved in this are certified watch makers, which allows them the ability to order swiss ETA movements in bulk annually. If you purchase swiss ETA from one of the reputable collectors, then that is what you get.

:blink:

I'm not sure I understand.

ps. If you ordered a 4th gen Planet Ocean, you got an ETA with Sapphire.

Dont be so sure my friend... Have you read all the posts about the Cartel dealers here advertising "ETA 28xx" movements, and the watch actually has a $2 chinese POS (not even the asian ETA) movement in it... Then they defend themselves by saying its an "ETA copy" but then The Zigmeister jumped in and said its not even close to a "copy" of an ETA. Its as much of a copy as a fiero with a plastic body kit is a copy of a Ferrari... Sure it looks and for the most part, functions like a watch movement, but the quality is VERY different. Read Pugs post about "Little white lies" and there is another long post but i forget the name right now...

Buyer beware... and ask LOTS of questions

Lonnie

:blink:

I'm not sure I understand.

ps. If you ordered a 4th gen Planet Ocean, you got an ETA with Sapphire.

Pug i'm going to make a thread that would explain my post. Check it out-

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=46258

Dont be so sure my friend... Have you read all the posts about the Cartel dealers

Those darn cartel dealers and their foolhearted schemes to take over the world. Blast! :lol:

I'm sure somewhere along the way, people have got Asian movements instead of ETA. I've had my watchsmith inspect my ETA sub from josh and it authenticated as such. I'd advise to always err on the side of caution. Inspect what you get (or have it inspected by a watchsmith). Talk with your collector.

Pug i'm going to make a thread that would explain my post. Check it out-

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=46258

Those darn cartel dealers and their foolhearted schemes to take over the world. Blast! :lol:

I'm sure somewhere along the way, people have got Asian movements instead of ETA. I've had my watchsmith inspect my ETA sub from josh and it authenticated as such. I'd advise to always err on the side of caution. Inspect what you get (or have it inspected by a watchsmith). Talk with your collector.

Let's not forget the watch shown a while back where it had an ETA baseplate, but the rest of the movement was just Asian parts... Swinese, Chiss, either way, Ziggy pointed out that it wasn't 'all it claimed to be', and it was indeed interesting (from a consumer point of view) that such a movement would exist. In a way, I think there is a real similarity to 'kit cars'. Externally, they look about right, but pop the hood, and you find parts from all sorts of donor vehicles. The movement in question, wasn't, to stick with the car analogy, wasn't a Porsche engine with a few parts replaced with generic replacements, but a generic engine, with the part with the Porsche logo bolted on top. Given the Cartel's history for incorrectly labelling the movements, I think the best bet is to have the movement identified by an independant expert if that's something that really matters to you. Personally, as long as it tells the time within reasonable standards, (my 2220.80's Asian movement is rock solid at +4 secs a day) I couldn't really care what the movement is, providing of course, it is as described in the point of sale :)

Let's not forget the watch shown a while back where it had an ETA baseplate, but the rest of the movement was just Asian parts... Swinese, Chiss, either way, The Zigmeister pointed out that it wasn't 'all it claimed to be', and it was indeed interesting (from a consumer point of view) that such a movement would exist. In a way, I think there is a real similarity to 'kit cars'. Externally, they look about right, but pop the hood, and you find parts from all sorts of donor vehicles. The movement in question, wasn't, to stick with the car analogy, wasn't a Porsche engine with a few parts replaced with generic replacements, but a generic engine, with the part with the Porsche logo bolted on top. Given the Cartel's history for incorrectly labelling the movements, I think the best bet is to have the movement identified by an independant expert if that's something that really matters to you. Personally, as long as it tells the time within reasonable standards, (my 2220.80's Asian movement is rock solid at +4 secs a day) I couldn't really care what the movement is, providing of course, it is as described in the point of sale :)

TJ I can't be the only one that got a genuine ETA movement in my Swiss's. :g:

TJ I can't be the only one that got a genuine ETA movement in my Swiss's. :g:

I never said that you were. All I was pointing out, is that there are examples of movements which, at a first glance, and certainly to the uninformed, could appear to be, or pass as genuine ETA movements, and given the nature of this interest, it is essential that things are labelled with 100% honesty for what they are. The Chis/Swinese movement is a prime example that just because it has the ETA marks, that does not always make it a genuine ETA. Same as just because the dial says Rolex, that does not always make it a genuine Rolex.

Yes, 'sapphire' in watch crystals is only synthetic sapphire. There is nothing like natural sapphire here and on gens.

'Synthetic sapphire', in Andrew's dictionary, stands for:

Mineral glass with [possibly] anti-scratch coating.

This is not due to malafede, but to the fact that Andrew has to compete with scam sites advertising their watches as sapphire even if they are glass. We RWGers should be in knowledge of such a terminology. Rep forum members all together make for less than 10% of all Andrew's (and of any other collector who has a website as well) trades.

Hope this helps.

Am i missing something also. I thought that all sapphire used in Rolexs and other watches was synthetic

Yes, it is. Even in genuine watches.

Natural sapphire is cloudy or coloured. Synthetic, lab-grown sapphire is clear. It's still sapphire, but it's man-made. Sometimes, however, dealers have been known to use the term 'synthetic sapphire' to mean 'mineral glass', but I believe this practice is mostly over.