When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown removal question

alanytical

I know this is covered but a search results in many posts.

I'm wanting to remove the crown on a Breitling BCE and understand that the crown release button needs to be pressed gently, but what I don't know is..

once I press the release button, does the crown just pull straight out, or do I rotate it left, or right to unwind it? What should I know about this?

I read of some members having problems when reassembling the crown back into the movement. Any tips or tricks to reassembling it?

I need to get to the dial to remove a big piece of lint that's stuck on one of the hour markers.

Thanks for your help.

Pull the crown out to its extended postition. Then with a screwdriver roughly the same size as the nodule, place a lightish but firm pressure and just pull the corwn straight out.

When re-inserting I have never had any problems, just gently eased it back in.

Hey Pugs...Then what's this...

I presumed he was talking about the 1.2mm slot on the 2836 et al. My apologies.

In that case, don't use a screwdriver (save that for the 2836), use a toothpick. :D

ps. I use an awl. Looks like a jeweller's screwdriver with a spike instead of a head.

305171-512.jpg

Great, thanks guys.

So use a toothpick, press the nodule and then gently pull the crown straight out with a slight twist if necessary. When reassmbling just push it straight in and then will the release nodule button sort of click back to indicate that the crown is in securely?

Well, I'm going to give it a shot as soon as the watch tools and blower get delivered.

• 4 weeks later...
Only if you want to kill your 7750.

Just followed the instructions to remove the crown and stem on my 7750...perfect...I've learned that this is a 2 handed operation if you want to avoid disaster. Gentle pressure on pulling the crown...gentle pressure on the release at the same time...until it comes free. The 7750 seems to be a bit more "screw up" proof since the keyless works release is pressure sensitive and moves far less and has much less potential for disappearing under the bridge plate like the ETA 2824 and 2836 if you push too aggressively. Stem went back in the same way...straight in with gentle pressure on the button. Do not try to force it in to "click"...it wont go.