When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Discussions with a collector..

P4GTR

I had an interesting email conversation with Josh recently. I thought it was interesting enough to share. He has always been a gracious collector through all of our dealings.

some of the questions I asked are to follow...

There is obviously a difference between the asian and swiss movements, but what exactly am I getting when I shop swiss movements?

Is this a replica of a swiss movement? Is it swiss ETA parts assembled under any quality control in Asia?

Tell me what I am getting with the swiss version over the asian. Is my classic ETA sub (which has a nickel ETA inside the case) really a genuine ETA movement?

Here is a reply from Joshua regarding movements:::

On the subject of movt.. Swiss movt is indeed swiss.. The rotor decoration if any is definitely made in china.. Movt comes from movt traders .. who actually registered watch brands companies in China and Hong Kong.. Thus they have the ability to buy the movt on a annual schedule from Swiss Eta.. Product is definitely bought from Swiss Eta.. But where Eta and how Eta makes these movt.. This I do not know ..

If the movt s simply plated.. Like nickle plating .. The movt comes direct ... If it is being machine to have decoration , fishcsales.. this is a local add on.

Yes.. a trained watch smith can definitely work on these watches.. Spares are definitely avail..

.. Movt comes from movt traders .. who actually registered watch brands companies in China and Hong Kong.. Thus they have the ability to buy the movt on a annual schedule from Swiss Eta..

This is an interesting statement.

Movement traders?

First time I have heard this name.

..and what does "who actually registered watch brands companies in China and Hong Kong" mean.

I don't quite understand this.

Movement traders?

..and what does "who actually registered watch brands companies in China and Hong Kong" mean.

movement suppliers have genuine watch companies in order to buy ETA movements in bulk. I assume it is impossible to order batches of movements from ETA at wholesale or whatnot, unless you are a manufacturer.

Movement traders?

Probebly buyers for sandoz and invicta buying 20,000 amount of movements for 15,000 watches and sliding 5,000 the rep builders way and a nice penny.