When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Revelation - Panerai in New York

Watchmeister

I have one of our esteemed members visiting in New York and so we made it a point to visit the Diamond District (47th Street in New York). I had not been there in at least 6 months. And here was the shocker, two of the larger grey market jewelers had virtually dozens of Panerais from A's thru J's, special edition, etc. I did pick up their cards (and they did compliment my Ziggified 29 - ;) ). Both dealers had far more inventory than anyone I have ever seen on on Risti or Via. I was so amazed I forgot to stop by Gary's booth who has been the New York standard on Risti for a couple of years. I did ask the two dealers and they both said they are far and away the hottest sellers this Summer. So the days of never being able to find the more desirable gen PAM's on the East Coast are over. :)

I have one of our esteemed members visiting in New York and so we made it a point to visit the Diamond District (47th Street in New York). I had not been there in at least 6 months. And here was the shocker, two of the larger grey market jewelers had virtually dozens of Panerais from A's thru J's, special edition, etc. I did pick up their cards (and they did compliment my Ziggified 29 - ;) ). Both dealers had far more inventory than anyone I have ever seen on on Risti or Via. I was so amazed I forgot to stop by Gary's booth who has been the New York standard on Risti for a couple of years. I did ask the two dealers and they both said they are far and away the hottest sellers this Summer. So the days of never being able to find the more desirable gen PAM's on the East Coast are over. :)

Fascinating!

Allow me to segue a question about the East Coast v. West Coast Panerai interest.

Surely, to anyone who has ever read the Panerai-centric US boards, you will note that Panerai is hugely popular in California, Arizona, Nevada, etc. Not so much in the East Coast, with Panerais only just now really taking off (you hear much less of GTGs on Risti in the East Coast, than anything remotely approaching San Francisco, Carlsbad, LA, etc.).

I know what people will reply.

In part, that this has to do with the laid-back, niche quality of the Panerai, which is a sporty watch, not perceived as a dressy, status-conscious watch unlike Patek Phillipe, AP, Vacheron, etc. which are huge in NYC, because it's a status-conscious town par excellence.

Then there's the Sly Stallone/Schwarzenegger/Hollywood factor, which blossomed specifically in the West because of this.

But EVEN SO, I'm shocked at this imparity given the international crowd one has in the East Coast, the amount of money which flows there, and the backgrounds of the people, what with the amount of Italians like Stallone there, especially.

And in the South? We won't even talk. Only once did I think someone had picked me out for wearing a Panerai. It seems no one who is "just folks" in the whole of South Florida knows what watch I am wearing (exaggeration! I know, but so far, the truth).

I have yet to experience that tingling Panerai-moment of raising a fist with a PAM on it, in silent, happy acknowledgement from a fellow Panerista.

I don't care if the man in the street doesn't know about Panerai. Half of me is glad of that, in fact...

But I do care that the marque is not better known by watch aficionados, like those in NYC!

My guess is that Panerai hit the West Coast first for a number of the reasons you mentioned. Celebrities wear them and then the execs and wannabe execs follow like sheep. West Coast will tend toward blingier watches anyhow. Also although the larger sized watches are increasingly catching on it still naturally drew a younger crowd and between tech and hollywood there is a lot of upscale youth. I also wouldn't underestimate the impact of the larger Japanese population on the West Coast. Panerai is one of the most favored watches of young Japanese in Japan.

On the East Coast it has taken longer. PAM watches really got notice when Ralph Liphshitz (oops, I mean Lauren) started parading around his collection, Bill Clinton is seen wearing one of several he owns, etc. Although Panerai watches are more low key, simply by their size they are not really. Old school East coast would say quiet elegance - Rolex (part of the white collar uniform) Patek, Audemars, etc. West Coast has always been quicker to go with the next "it" thing. But now it is a whole new world over on this side.

My guess is that Panerai hit the West Coast first for a number of the reasons you mentioned. Celebrities wear them and then the execs and wannabe execs follow like sheep.

And apparently, car salesman are HUGE into Panerai in the West.

There is one chap on Risti who fits that bill, and when someone snarled about used car salesmen being a bunch of rip-off artists, all the car salesmen on the board challenged it indignantly in their replies. I counted about 5 or 6 of them.

Do WE on RWG have 5 or 6 car salesmen who post/read us regularly, I wonder? And that's on a non-speciality watch forum.

West Coast will tend toward blingier watches anyhow.

But that's the thing. When I first saw a Panerai watch on the forums, I was put off by how unblingy it was. It has minimalist lines, and tiny details which separate it one from the other.

I cringe just thinking of that Radiomir with the diamonds for markers. ;)

Okay, it's blingy in the sense of it being outsized, and show-offy, but other than that, it has understated lines.

Also although the larger sized watches are increasingly catching on it still naturally drew a younger crowd and between tech and hollywood there is a lot of upscale youth. I also wouldn't underestimate the impact of the larger Japanese population on the West Coast. Panerai is one of the most favored watches of young Japanese in Japan.

YES! In retrospect, now I realise what those "big watches" were in the streets of Tokyo.

On the East Coast it has taken longer. PAM watches really got notice when Ralph Liphshitz (oops, I mean Lauren)

Well, if Joseph Marie Fran

So... Who are these dealers? :unsure:

Hey Kruz,

Email and PM sent. Marco (Madasboot) and I were walking the streets in NY just last week. It was a hoot. Marco picked up a really nice Arktos for only $90.

I need a GEN auto crown if any are still available. Pls email/PM me when you get a chance.

thanks much,

sherwin

skcheng@optonline.net

quite a number of nice PAM's at sara beth's last night too!! ;)

47th street markets are great places for all kinds of vintage and new luxury models. I was shocked to see several IWC's at a dealer across the street a short time ago.