When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Watch Kinda Town

Victoria

2 more years, and that would've been true. Ah well.
Such a loss to the profession. Just what the world needed, another "trick cyclist" talking about 'wombs' and leather strap fetishes. Oh well, their loss, RWG's gain.

We're a discrete race, Docblackrock.
Assume you mean discreet as in low-key rather than discrete as in separate, distinct? Ahh, the grammatical perils of being an expat/exile :whistling: Anyway, if it's true for me, it's more nuture than nature as I have more Celtic/European blood than Anglo. But if you think City boys are in any way discreet (apart from the elves at Goldman Sachs), you are VERY much mistaken.

But yes, overall I agree. London, the Home Counties, the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire. Anything past Watford, and we're talking plastic.
Again, not in my experience and I'm disappointed you resort to such an outdated stereotype. The South East is predominantly made up of bling-seeking tasteless chavs, whereas the inhabitants of Northern cities display a much more discerning appreciation of luxury goods. Affluence and taste is more apparent in a relative sense (Cheshire WAGs excepted) there than anywhere within the M25. It stands out a mile whenever I am up there.

Wow, she sounds like a cow. No offence, I'm sure.
:brow:<_<

The deafening silence of a line being crossed....

The deafening silence of a line being crossed....

NOOOOOOOO. APOLOGIES, HUMBLE, MANIFOLD AND ABSOLUTELY ABJECT.

Drat. Never talk about girlfriends and wives, Vic, never never. I already did so with Two Tone, and I instantly regretted my cheekiness.

I'm so sorry lads! :(

But give me a break with the North, Docblackrock. I'd like to see you point out one place in all of the North which has more taste than even boring, safe as houses Wantage.

Newcastle? With women in tank top sequins and overripe makeup gone 5 PM? Liverpool with its Nike-stripe shell suited denizens?? BORO??? CARLISLE???? HULL?!?! DARWEN??!?!? LOL!

Oh, right. Absolutely. York. Well, excuuuuuuuse me. Even a blind hen can pick out a grain of corn once in a while. :D

Hmmm, so I take it's true then that the French government was rumoured yesterday to have raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France being "Surrender" and "Collaborate.", and that the rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability???

:rofl:

Here all week....:whistling:

One thing, I never "remarked" a Citizen on an Italian! Could it be? The land of Panerai, choosing Citizens?

Unfortunately, yes.

One thing I'd like to ask a real Italian -- is it really really true one get be arrested or have one's rep watch smashed by Carabinieri on the stop, if caught wearing a rep watch?

I may assure you that's not true.

Unless one gets unlucky enough to get caught in a time when they have to make an example of him (what happens less than 0.001% times).

BTW, Carabinieri would not tell a rep from a gen.

Even not a PAM from a well done small hamburger, I would add.

If they did that in the USA, half the population would shout, "Fascist!", and the other half would run to hide their reps. :D

Yes, but Americans are smart people while the Italians are just sheep.

Everyone get the government (and laws) that they deserve.

By the way, my Italian(-descended) boyfriend remarked, "What about the other 70%?". Jolly joker.

Obviously, unbranded watches.

P.S.: He bought me a rep Rolex one time, sold by the famous "Marrocchini" (Moroccans, although they are usually Sudanese, etc.) found hocking watches on the beaches of every Italian resort town. I think it lasted a year before dying a merciful death. If laws are so strict in Italian about conterfeits, how do they allow this?

Italian laws are strict about everything, but they are just words on paper.

I won't even furtherly elaborate about which kind of paper.

Great to know you know about our 'Marocchini'!

Even if people selling reps on Italian beachs was especially Chinese and Korean, in the last few years at least.

DC is surprisingly not as much as a watch a watch town since power rather than money is the status indicator. There are also pretty strict rules about what you shoulkd wear given your station on the food chain (For example, a mid level Hill staffer would look presumptious if he wore a monogrammed shirt w/ cufflinks, while the lobbyists they meet with daily wouldn't be caught dead without both. The watches follow the same pattern: the power watch by far are gold Rolexes on bracelets (I see 5 or 6 a week) followed by Patek (I see maybe 1 a month) What's odd is that I've seen a grand total of 1 Panerai in "business" situations in the 4 1/2 years I've been paying attention, and less than a dozen total of other brands of high end watches.

NOOOOOOOO. APOLOGIES, HUMBLE, MANIFOLD AND ABSOLUTELY ABJECT.

Drat. Never talk about girlfriends and wives, Vic, never never. I already did so with Two Tone, and I instantly regretted my cheekiness.

I'm so sorry lads! :(

But give me a break with the North, Docblackrock. I'd like to see you point out one place in all of the North which has more taste than even boring, safe as houses Wantage.

Newcastle? With women in tank top sequins and overripe makeup gone 5 PM? Liverpool with its Nike-stripe shell suited denizens?? BORO??? CARLISLE???? HULL?!?! DARWEN??!?!? LOL!

Oh, right. Absolutely. York. Well, excuuuuuuuse me. Even a blind hen can pick out a grain of corn once in a while. :D

:blink:

And there she goes adding further stereotyped insult to injury, no really, I'd stop digging that hole if I were you....

I mean I would never think of making comments about someone who chooses to reside in Florida, by all accounts the 'Eastbourne' and cultural epicentre of North America. Nor would I make assumptions about Wantage, much less suggest it was a twee market town populated by Womens' Institute, church-fete-organising, plaid-wearing types whose main ambition in life is to marry off their horsey female offspring to 'solid chaps' (see their male offspring) with overbites called Julian or Tim, whose slack-jawed features and boorish personalities merely accent the fact they went to a third-rate public school, and now "do something" in the City, although disappointingly nothing that makes the FT and thus warrants dropping into conversation with the Jones' at No. 47. No, I would not say that because it would be a gross generalisation and impolite :whistling:

Ok to your challenge then... Liverpool (UNESCO World Heritage City and European Capital of Culture 2008, need I say more?), Chester (no longer a commuter base for other NW centres, a dynamic Roman city boasting very upmarket denizens and facilities, also a large base for science and technology industries), Leeds (extremely affluent and cosmopolitan city, with an economic growth unrivalled anywhere in the entire country), Manchester (still busily reinforcing its claim as the capital outside London, with the facilities and money to match, helped by the new media migration including the BBC, and a city centre plan that owes a big debt of thanks to the IRA. Scum football team though), Glasgow (Scottish version of Leeds) and Edinburgh (oh well if you need me to explain Edinburgh, there's no hope for you). Oh and since it's on the same latitude as some of the NW cities, let's add Dublin where my family is from, a city that is the epitomy of the resurgent "Celtic Tiger" economy, and where every fifth car seems to be an S-Class Mercedes.

There's SEVEN cities north of Watford. Enough??? ;)

p.s. as for the GF comment, it wasn't cheeky or amusing, it was just inappropriate, ill-informed and yes, a little rude. However, sincere apology accepted. :)

Presumably you know the terror alert level for other countries also - I believe we're currently at "Peeved" in the UK, although there are rumours that this may be raised to "Irritated", or "A Bit Cross"?

;)

:D

"Bloody nuisance" warning level I believe ;)

Wasn't going to share the alert level of our other European friends for fear of offending, although I figured the French were fair game :whistling:

Unless one gets unlucky enough to get caught in a time when they have to make an example of him (what happens less than 0.001% times).

Okay, so the possibility exists, as in the case of the young boy I read in one of these rep watch forums, who went on a school trip to Italy, and had his rep watch confiscated, and he was fined.

Sounds like an urban legend to me, but equally, he could well have been made an example of, seeing how as a foreigner and a minor, you have a less advantageous position.

BTW, Carabinieri would not tell a rep from a gen.

Of course. ;)

But I was thinking of the famous "fingerpointers"/informants who tell the Carabinieri or others of such things.

I think I've been reading too much John Le Carr

DC is surprisingly not as much as a watch a watch town since power rather than money is the status indicator. There are also pretty strict rules about what you shoulkd wear given your station on the food chain (For example, a mid level Hill staffer would look presumptious if he wore a monogrammed shirt w/ cufflinks, while the lobbyists they meet with daily wouldn't be caught dead without both. The watches follow the same pattern: the power watch by far are gold Rolexes on bracelets (I see 5 or 6 a week) followed by Patek (I see maybe 1 a month) What's odd is that I've seen a grand total of 1 Panerai in "business" situations in the 4 1/2 years I've been paying attention, and less than a dozen total of other brands of high end watches.

Thanks for your reply, Archibald. :)

It's inevitable that the status consciousness of DC be tied to power -- in most of the cities I have lived in, the seat of government was also the same as the seat of money, and pedigree, such as London, Paris, New York, so the stratification was less noticeable merely due to power.

However, it's sad to hear that you have what is very common in my old homeland: a 'put them in their place' attitude about hierarchy.

I'm torn between thinking that being presumptuous is indeed not a very good attribute (the British in me), but thinking that such things are so much Old World piffle, which can be constrictive and unhealthy to that degree (the newly-minted American in me).

One gets the sense, however, that Rolexes are here to stay in the world, as the premier status symbol amongst those who wish to impress, versus those who are impressive in and of themselves.

By the way, last time I was in DC, I saw Senator Kerry lunching not 10 feet away from me, wearing a gorgeous gold watch. Not sure, but I think it was a Corum...

:blink:

There's SEVEN cities north of Watford. Enough??? ;)

:p

p.s. as for the GF comment, it wasn't cheeky or amusing, it was just inappropriate, ill-informed and yes, a little rude. However, sincere apology accepted. :)

Ahh, thanks a lot Docblackrock! There is such a thing as being Politically Incorrect as I adore to be, enfant terrible that I am, and being absolutely ghastly, manners-wise.

Thanks for taking it on the chin, but immediately making your opinion known it wasn't appreciated, without losing your finesse.

As for that other stuff...Liverpool...world city of culture...Scousers can fool UNESCO inspectors all they want, but you can't fool me. *g*

The only city you mentioned which is truly tasteful is Edinburgh. And that's because of their long association with all things French, I shouldn't wonder.

But of course, I meant the north of England. ;)

As for that other stuff...Liverpool...world city of culture...Scousers can fool UNESCO inspectors all they want, but you can't fool me. *g*
Are you absolutely sure about that? You're not being particularly sharp down that ever-deepening grave you're continuing to dig....;)

Oh and in your dismissive sneering, you're mixing your authorities and awards....UNESCO World Heritage is one body, the Cultural Ministry of the EU Parliament is another. According to you, both obviously staffed by the blind and stupid :rolleyes:

Different outlooks, different circles, as Ry said earlier. But you should never assume anything about anyone by what they're wearing, or what they say, an Old World trait you seem to have lost, or maybe just never had?

Although I'm now fairly confident assuming who the Daily Mail were targeting, when they decided to print locally in Florida...seems they can take the girl out of the Home Counties eh Vic....

Italian?

Not at all. Just happened to be born there and living there.

Cynic?

Definitely.

I work in the downtown core in Toronto, Canada. Its a mecca for watch spotting, and rarely can I take a short walk without seeing something interesting. Lots of Rolex, Breits, and a lot of Pams lately. Also a lot of ADs within walking distance of my office, and I spend many a lunch hour visiting them.

BTW, the old adage goes "Those who can, work in Toronto. Those who can't, move to Ottawa".

I live in Vegas which has to be one of the most watch conscious towns around. It is bling central and you will see any and every kind of watch, high end, low end, genuine and rep. Vegas is a wristwatchers bonanza for sure. I grew up in Honolulu, Hawaii, the opposite end of the spectrum. Nobody wears a watch, nor do they really care what time it is. Thats how it used to be anyway :o