When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What, then, is the preferred movement for rep with sub dials?

BobM

In an earlier post about the term "Asian 7750" there is an indication the Asian 7750 in certain circumstances MAY be quite reliable: If it comes from a certain factory in China, but not from others. and/or if you have it serviced immediately upon receiving it and before you use it.

So the question is ... What is the best movement in a replica for watches with sub dials? And does it make a difference whether it is a watch with subdials at 12-9-6 or at 9-6-3? ... only two sub dials uses a different movement?

If I get a watch with a certain movement and it dies, can I find a replacement movement? Would getting another movement be better than trying to get part(s) and attempting to repair it, if it should require parts?

I do not have a specific case. Just looking for geneeral guidelines.

Thanks. :unsure:

Idaelly, you would get a replica of a watch that uses a genuine Valjoux 7750 with subdials a 6,9,12. That way the replica would have the same subdial spacing, the movement itself would be completely unaltered, and could be easily replaced with another (or even a genuine 7750) if need be. The tricompax version (minute counter moved to 3) isn't all that problematic (like the Daytona seconds at 6:00) but you suffer a recessed datewheel.

The preffered movement would be the asian 7750, as (aside from the expensive eta 6-9-12 version) it is the only automatic chrono movement available. The Seagull chrono movement used in some manual wind reps is a more reliable motor, but is not as accurate as the 7750 in most cases.

I feel that the 7750 has gotten a bad rap, as it is the movement iis used in just about all rep chronos. Even if it had the same failure rate as any other movement, the numbers would appear to be much higher, as it is such a commonly used movement. Also, because of the extra complications, there is just more things to go wrong with it. BTW, I have never had any problem with any of my chrono movements.

I'm with Andreww on this one. Any modern 7750-based rep (6-9-12) should be as good as you need. It's not going to die in 35 minutes and as long as the chrono second hand is well built, it'll work perfectly as a chrono.

I tend to believe that it doesn't need servicing out of the box as I have several one year old Asian 7750 replicas that are running as well as when they were bought. The Zigmeister, upon servicing my GST, said the movement was pristine. Sure, a service is worthwhile if you can afford it, but if you buy replicas with the intention of getting one to two years of life out of them, it's not needed.

Watches like the Aquaracer, Aquatimer, Carrera, BCE, GST, etc., will all be fine. Even the HBB with the added layer to move the 12 to the 3 will be fine as that's exactly what the gen has instead of the 7753.