When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does ebay ever sell replicas ?

kenmasters

I'm looking at some of the ebay listings for Omega Speedmasters.. Perhaps I'm not aware of the differences in years/models for some of the genuine stuff, but some of these images on ebay look fake to me..

for example..

item # 220145009936

does not look the same as item 220142746810

even though its the same seller ! both claiming authenticity.

Are all the 5min interval lines on the dial suppose to be of the same length ? I notice subtle differences, but at least the casing is real !?

How hard would it be for someone just to put on a new casing, back cover, etc, to make it look authentic and pass it off as real ?

Edited by kenmasters

I'm looking at some of the ebay listings for Omega Speedmasters.. Perhaps I'm not aware of the differences in years/models for some of the genuine stuff, but some of these images on ebay look fake to me..

for example..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Omega-Speedm...1QQcmdZViewItem

Are all the 5min interval lines on the dial suppose to be of the same length ? I notice subtle differences, but at least the casing is real !?

How hard would it be for someone just to put on a new casing, back cover, etc, to make it look authentic and pass it off as real ?

Re-casing is a common enough practice. In the rep world we call those Franken watches. In gen world they are just called fakes. On eBay it is buyer beware. Unless you know what and whom you are dealing with very well - eBay is a risky place to shop.

and how in the world doesnt these ppl get caught by the police? :S.. i mean when you transfer WU.. you need an ID.. which then have your full name and address.. paypal you can get your money back if its a counterfeit items? and i can't see how theyre getting away with the scams.. unless the bidders don't even bother checking it.. but for the buyers that do how can these sellers get away with it? :S

Hi armin. couple of things.

When Ive transferred money ive never been asked for id, this usually the case.

When the buyer receives the money all he really needs is legit (or forged)ID with the corresponding name on. Also maybe a household bill or bank statement which can easily be done.

This is one of the main reason there are so many scams on western union, theyre not a bank, just a normal 'joe' off the street transferring money so probably couldnt tell a good fake passport

We do try if you look in the auction scams you will see that we pick up many and report them, some times i think that georgegrasser does this all day if some one is selling a rep and listing as with out box and papers bid as you see appropriate and not trying to start the bidding at a gen price then ok its not too bad but when is is a blatant rep for a gen price report it