When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going thru customs

wannab

When you guys/girls talk about getting watches thru customs what do you mean? If customs catches it what what happens?

For most countries, one of two things happens if they open your package:

1 - they estimate the value of a gen, and tax you on that amount

2 - they decide it's a rep (counterfeit) and confiscate it

When you guys/girls talk about getting watches thru customs what do you mean? If customs catches it what what happens?

If you are wearing it on your arm, it is not a problem!

If you are shipping it through customs you have to trust to luck and your dealer.

Stick with the "collectors" on this board and you might have a patience problem but you will not have a problem.

You will have to remember that you are not dealing with the local supermarket, but hey, they are not selling what you want!

Not knowing where Murderland is ;) all I can say is, it depends entirely where you live. Some countries have almost no problems having watches pass through Customs (USA/Canada/or UK sometimes). Some are deadly, like Sweden and France.

Here is a recent reply of mine, where I quoted a Canadian Customs Officer's rundown of what happens when they nab a watch (gen, not rep -- but it's good insight).

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=300685

As for wearing watches on your person in Customs, well, actually sometimes you have to be careful. In South America, they will confiscate it in case you have a very expensive one inside a duo-case. In Bolivia, a Customs officer took me into a backroom with my mother, and shook us down for U$100 a piece for our extra gen Rolexes. Something similar happened in Peru, and Argentina, but by then we got savvy and pulled out a tax bill making it exempt from duties by virtue of its age (we obviously doctored one). Then my mother threatened to call the German/US/and British embassies, to apprise them of this treatment. The watches and we were released instantly.

Thank God this procedure is no longer necessary in Europe, since any EU passport holder holding up his passport is just swept inside by a hand gesture...

Seeing that you are from Baltimore MD. You should have no problems. A good rule of thumb is to not order more than one watch at a time, as it will sail through customs much more easily. It is rare that a watch coming into the US is seized if in a solitary package.

any EU passport holder holding up his passport is just swept inside by a hand gesture...

Just make sure you are holding up your passport with your watch-free arm. :lol:

Not knowing where Murderland is ;) all I can say is, it depends entirely where you live. Some countries have almost no problems having watches pass through Customs (USA/Canada/or UK sometimes). Some are deadly, like Sweden and France.

Here is a recent reply of mine, where I quoted a Canadian Customs Officer's rundown of what happens when they nab a watch (gen, not rep -- but it's good insight).

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=300685

As for wearing watches on your person in Customs, well, actually sometimes you have to be careful. In South America, they will confiscate it in case you have a very expensive one inside a duo-case. In Bolivia, a Customs officer took me into a backroom with my mother, and shook us down for U$100 a piece for our extra gen Rolexes. Something similar happened in Peru, and Argentina, but by then we got savvy and pulled out a tax bill making it exempt from duties by virtue of its age (we obviously doctored one). Then my mother threatened to call the German/US/and British embassies, to apprise them of this treatment. The watches and we were released instantly.

Thank God this procedure is no longer necessary in Europe, since any EU passport holder holding up his passport is just swept inside by a hand gesture...

I think we knew where he was from and he didn't ask about going through third world countries which will hold you up just for fun (read south America, etc.). My comment was only about having a watch on the wrist and not something else in a "duo-case" which doesn't sound that it was on a wrist.

If you are going into any dodgy countries of your own free will just be aware that it doesn't matter whether it is a gen or rep, you can be held up for a tip to the locals if you appear affluent. Any time you attempt to carry any watch into a country which is not on your wrist and doesn't appear to be even slightly used, you can and will be a target, as perhaps our previous poster has testified.

If it is on your wrist, and looks even slightly used, and you have nothing else hidden away in a case, luggage, etc., you have little to worry about.

Canada customs once opened one of my packages only to discover a Vacheron Constantin Retrogating Tourbillon. They had the nerve to charge me $74.86 in customs tax and it arrived as normal. Of course, I screamed my head off at the UPS man who could not even explain how they reached that amount or what it was for - but I still had to pay and now when he drives down the street he looks at the opposite direction of myself.

Anyhow, check your local laws and regulations, because in many countries there are no laws against purchasing reps but rather against selling them - so you're in the clear. The worst that can happen to you in this case if they open the package, is that they will charge you a proposterous customs fee like they did to me because its a fancy pancy watch....

The worst stories I've heard come from Germany. Apparently they have some kind of counterfeit paranoia and are often quite successful in confiscating people's reps, especially if they come from China, and then blacklisting your address so every package you get sent requires customs examination.

Like I said... it depends where you live. America and Canada are safe. One has the much bigger international issue of terrorism to deal with, and the other one has a populace that barely knows how to tell time let alone enforce complicated laws.

I think we knew where he was from and he didn't ask about going through third world countries which will hold you up just for fun (read south America, etc.). My comment was only about having a watch on the wrist and not something else in a "duo-case" which doesn't sound that it was on a wrist.

Oh absolutely, Carl, yes. Not the question asked, but you know me -- I always give a little extra in terms of anecdotes, the better to round off a thread.

If you are going into any dodgy countries of your own free will just be aware that it doesn't matter whether it is a gen or rep, you can be held up for a tip to the locals if you appear affluent. Any time you attempt to carry any watch into a country which is not on your wrist and doesn't appear to be even slightly used, you can and will be a target, as perhaps our previous poster has testified.

If it is on your wrist, and looks even slightly used, and you have nothing else hidden away in a case, luggage, etc., you have little to worry about.

That has been my fortunate experience too. But just to note that these "dodgy" countries did include some rather well-known countries of the first tier -- like Spain, and Portugal.

Like I said... it depends where you live. America and Canada are safe. One has the much bigger international issue of terrorism to deal with, and the other one has a populace that barely knows how to tell time let alone enforce complicated laws.

Very funny...........what's even funnier is that I'm planning to live there :lol:

Very funny...........what's even funnier is that I'm planning to live there :lol:

I think you'll find that most people in Canada can, in fact, tell time.

We do, however, have some rather strict laws about misrepresenting the country of origin on manufactured goods (i.e. "swiss made" on a Chinese watch) although I don't know exactly how they'd go about proving that. I'm not sure I'd want to be going through Canada Customs with a suitcase full of replica watches though.

The worst stories I've heard come from Germany. Apparently they have some kind of counterfeit paranoia and are often quite successful in confiscating people's reps, especially if they come from China, and then blacklisting your address so every package you get sent requires customs examination.

I heard many stories of watches landing in german customs...... really sad !

I didnt know Canada has terrorism issues to deal with.... interesting. :o

Edited by rolexsandwich

It's a well known fact in America, that Canada invites terrorists to live in their country, and contributes to terrorism by funding their weapons purchases by providing them free shelter and welfare check, as well as healing their casualties with our free health care.

I know that your comment is tongue in cheek, but I hope you include many, if not most, Americans as insiders to the joke. Only a small minority would buy into the slanted perspective you describe. Cheers.

I know that your comment is tongue in cheek, but I hope you include many, if not most, Americans as insiders to the joke. Only a small minority would buy into the slanted perspective you describe. Cheers.

Indeed I include most Americans asinsiders to my joke, but you might be surprised as to how many Americans (and Canadians) actually believe this and criticize our immigration and welfare policies

I buy rep watches and I read the Holy Qur'an...

Does that make me a terrorisisisisisist?? :huh:

:whistling:

Oh absolutely, Carl, yes. Not the question asked, but you know me -- I always give a little extra in terms of anecdotes, the better to round off a thread.

That has been my fortunate experience too. But just to note that these "dodgy" countries did include some rather well-known countries of the first tier -- like Spain, and Portugal.

Thanks for the anecdotes, as they are always first-person and interesting!

Dodgy is as dodgy does. But I think we all have to fall back on our own anecdotes, as you say.

As my wife is a product of the University of Madrid (under Franco no less) I'd better reserve comment on Spain. She has her own anecdotes and owns them. As for Portugal, it produced the very worst customs problem I have ever encountered and as it involved a camera (gen of course) I will not go into details on a watch board. I have established my own tier for Portugal.

That is my anecdote and please keep yours coming.

Carl