When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which car would you choose?

elwopo

Here's something I've been debating for a short while....so I thought I'd toss it out there to the world of experiences we have here.

If you were going to get a new car....convertible let's say.....and had a top budget of 75,000 US......what would it be, and why?

Power is important.....but handling is a more practical concern as there aren't many places here in the US that you can do 180 for any length of time. :angry:

My friend is pushing hard for the Roush Stage 3 mustang.....but I'm not sure yet.

Thoughts?

BMW 650 convertible. Reasoning behind my choice:Get a certified pre-owned car (excellent warrantee, etc). You don't get hit with depreciation as soon as you leave the lot. Fast car. Convertible. Save your pennies and get a 500hp M6.

Or better yet, forgo the convertible and get a car that nobody has (only 250 lucky people in North America). Get a BMW 850CSi with 6 speed manual transmission. Install a supercharger and your car will be 550+hp; and despite the weight of the car, you will smmmmmoke an M6 at a green light.

9185006ir7.jpg

You're going to have to give us more to go on than just a price range! You have a HUGE selection at $75K, from Porsche to Mustang (as you mentioned). If you're willing to consider used vehicles as well then you can have almost any car you want. Here are a few suggestions, and some eye-candy:

If you love Bavarian handling:

BMW 6-series

2007.bmw.6series.20107148-E.jpg

If you are pro-American:

Cadillac XLR

2007.cadillac.xlr.20092691-E.jpg

British luxury:

Jag XK

2007.jaguar.xkseries.20031194-E.jpg

If you're willing to buy a used one:

Porsche 911

2007.porsche.911.20106865-E.jpg

If you're a bit quirky:

Lotus Elise

2007.lotus.elise.20113036-E.jpg

There are many more options, but this is a pretty fun thought exercise!

So many to choose in your price range... and most of convertibles are so nice from every manufacturer...

I will tell you what i did choosing mine:

.- if you want a car to use almost every day: Lexus or Porsche. No problems at all, no strange sounds or repairs with a normal extensive use.

.- if you want a car to use only some weekends: any other brand, from BMW to Mercedes, Cadillac, Maserati...etc. These cars are great for the weekend, but they will be at workshop the other 5 weekdays.

i would get this lil beauti ;)

ferrari .

at only 69k its a steal ! ;)

100745-1sm.jpg

i wonder how much will it cost to have the clutch replaced on that baby .

Don't worry about the clutch, but you will have to budget for the $2500 15K services.

Wow! Thanks for the responses.

There's a lot more out there than what I was originally looking at.

I will have to admit that the Jag and BMW are great looking. The Caddy has it's appeal as well. I would have to drive that one. For some reason it doesn't "look" fast. Seems more like a cruiser car. Probably just me.

The thing I'll be looking into most at this point is reliability and service costs. Luisik brought up a good point. I don't want anything that's going to be a headache and spend a lot of time in the shop. I've heard good and bad about Jag. Mostly bad unfortunately.

@2005Submariner...My son would love me to get the Ferrari. Then again....my insurance agent would love it more!

wow $2500 15K services is there anything on that ferrari that you can work on your self ?

i owned a 84 911 c & i could not do anything on that car as far as maintenance .

i could not reach the plugs ! at all :huh: .. awsome car thou :rolleyes: i miss it ..

yeah, my dad had an 84 944 and while easier to work on than an ass engine 911, the parts were ridiculously expensive.

I have a friend who is close friends with a rather eccentric millionaire. A few years ago he bought a brand new Ferrari 360 - base with no options so to speak of. He promptly called my friend and informed him that he would learn to change the oil on the car because he would be damned if he was going to pay Ferrari $400 for the oil changes.

After some research, my friend learned that the entire bottom of the car has to come off in order to even access the engine to change the oil, and the oil required to meet Ferrari's warranty requirements is a special blend Shell helix forumla that goes for $22 a liter - and the car requires some 15 or 20 litres of oil because of the dry sump oiling system.

Now i know why you always see Ferraris for sale with 15k miles - that's when the first service is due and the owners find out what the real cost of Ferrari ownership is.

wow $2500 15K services is there anything on that ferrari that you can work on your self ?

If you're seriously after a Ferrari, you're not the kind to risk performance through DIY services.

Try picking up a sports bike if you're after cheap performance, but even then my Ducati liked new rear tyres every 500-1500 miles (yes, they were a little bit soft ...) and 6000 mile engine strip-downs.

If you're seriously after a Ferrari, you're not the kind to risk performance through DIY services.

Try picking up a sports bike if you're after cheap performance, but even then my Ducati liked new rear tyres every 500-1500 miles (yes, they were a little bit soft ...) and 6000 mile engine strip-downs.

Gotta love how the Italians still use shims to adjust the valves in all their engines.

yeah, my dad had an 84 944 and while easier to work on than an ass engine 911, the parts were ridiculously expensive.

I have a friend who is close friends with a rather eccentric millionaire. A few years ago he bought a brand new Ferrari 360 - base with no options so to speak of. He promptly called my friend and informed him that he would learn to change the oil on the car because he would be damned if he was going to pay Ferrari $400 for the oil changes.

Back in the 1980s, someone I knew (ahem) bought himself a Maserati. It had to be serviced every six months -- that is, full tune-up, because it's such a high performance engine.

I forget exactly, but it was well over U$2500 to do so. And a broken part inside (I believe it was an ashtray) cost U$1000. Soon after, the person sold the car, but hey, you live once, right?

Come on, you know you want that Ferrari! ;)

your right about seen ferraris for sale with only 15k miles on em :D didnt think about the costly repair rate . beautifull car though..

my old 84 911 c also required 14qrz of oil , do to its dry sump system but i sure loved that car :rolleyes: i also has a 86 944 t wich was fun to drive & i also had an automatic 84 944 wich looked nice but was not fun to drive , i guess been auto , & the dam tranny damper went on it & cost me about $700 from performance products ..

NOW i drive this my family hualer :D

quest003.jpg

Probably the most under-appreciated "exotic" car of the past decade and a half...

My_NSX.jpg

Easy to drive...

Comfortable...

Reliable as heck...

Not the fastest, but fast enough...

I've owned Boxsters, 911s, and a Maserati Coupe, and I still long to own another NSX...Own one and you'll understand.

Yup, and tires ain't cheap. Although, you guys might have heard that the Pirelli P-Nero line has a 60,000 mile tread life. That's insanity! But, I gotta tell you you, they are excllent in the 17"-18"-19"-20" sizes (ultra-ultra quiet, highest speed rated and grip the road like velcro). Forget about those Ecxtas, Pro-Sports, Dunlops, etc...

Not to go too far off topic, but...

Euno, do you have experience with the P-Neros? Honestly, I've been through 3 or 4 earlier sets of Pirellis (P-700's and P-7000's), and I've never been able to get more than about 18K out of them. I was going to give Falken FK-452's a try, when my current Bridgestone Potenzas are gone.