When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshua REALLY goofed - AD says he sent me a Gen

I have a beautiful Omega Double Eagle (looks like an overgrown vrsion of my TT Constellation) with the two tone gold a wrap instead of plate. The little pin thingy in the clasp fell out so Joshua sent me a new piece.

I took it to a "30 YR Watchmaker" who is an AD of several high line watches to fix it as the stud needs to be removed and press fit into my watch clasp. He looked it over thru one of those headset loop things and then he asked about the watch. Thinking he was going to tell me it was a rep, I told him that my brother the doctor sent it to me as a gift, but knowing him, it's probably a fake.

"Oh no," says he - "Don't you have any idea what this is?"

post-223-1148057881_thumb.jpg

I guess Joshua just screwed up and sent me the gen that the copies are made from. I wonder if my TT Constellation could be a gen too?

LOLLLLLLLLLLL

In a way though, it isn't funny. Reps as reps are one thing, but if they can be passed off as real, some bastard will do that and people will be defrauded.

Bill

I have a beautiful Omega Double Eagle (looks like an overgrown vrsion of my TT Constellation) with the two tone gold a wrap instead of plate. The little pin thingy in the clasp fell out so Joshua sent me a new piece.

I took it to a "30 YR Watchmaker" who is an AD of several high line watches to fix it as the stud needs to be removed and press fit into my watch clasp. He looked it over thru one of those headset loop things and then he asked about the watch. Thinking he was going to tell me it was a rep, I told him that my brother the doctor sent it to me as a gift, but knowing him, it's probably a fake.

"Oh no," says he - "Don't you have any idea what this is?"

post-223-1148057881_thumb.jpg

BTW, the pic sux - it looks like the plating on the bezel is worn off but that's just because I don't have TTK's talent with a camera.

post-223-1148058098_thumb.jpg

That may not be much better - the watch itself looks great.

Bill

• 2 months later...

sorry to disappoint you, but your watch is a replica.

Here's the real thing - do you want me to point out the differences?

100708-26335.jpg

Just because a watchmaker says it's real doesn't mean it is. Many "watchmakers" work primarily with quartz watches, and are not up to date with the exact movements of genuine watches. Heck - the watchmaker probably hardly ever sees a mechanical Omega. He only knows it is an ETA, which is what the replica has.

Bottom line is, if the watchmaker couldn't tell the difference, then he's not a good watchmaker (or at least has been hiding in a cave).