When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

cape cod SS rags

UB7

Just got a bunch of these things I love them they make all my SS watches look brand new..How safe is the stuff? And does it work on two tones or would you avoid doing that? And how safe is it on the crystal? I was polishing my ss daytona and got a bit on the crystal, harmless or should i tape over crystal when applying?

Edited by UB7

Hi,

Because the Cape Cod cloth is extremely strong... it is wise only to use it on polished stainless steel surfaces. Using it on any gold plate/wrap could be very harmful to the watch, as it would scrape the gold clean off. Of course, using it on solid gold is alright.

You may want to try it on thick gold plating, but rub very gently and frequently inspect the item during cleaning.

Good luck...

Ok... I have one question: Can I use cape cod cloth to polish my steel shaft on my golf clubs? I just took them out of the garage for Spring/Summer and found that rust has formed on the steel shafts!

Another question is where to buy them? I am in NZ so availability might be a problem, do they sell them in Aussie? I am wondering maybe they might have them in Bunning's Warehouse here...

Agreed. Cape cods rule. You can really take out pretty solid scratches/dings that you'd otherwise be going insane over. On the flip side, remember how that kind of power can affect anything other than SS. If you're doing just SS though, keep on enjoying them!

Tangentially, I almost ruined my PAM 177 by using one of those Titanium scratch-remover pens I bought you know where. The scratch pad made it even worse. AND I WAS GENTLE.

Do you guys think the Cape Cod would take out the glaring Titanium "silver" or just ruin the entire look by stripping the Ti?

I don't care about the scratch at this point -- I'm angry at the difference in colour. Really, it's tiny and probably most people don't see it, but I do, and it drives me insane.

@Ahchard: Yes, you can use it on steel shafts. Pretty much anything really, that is non-tarnishable, like gold and stainless steel. As for buying them, I went with to the *bay again, and bought a tin of 16. It came with gloves, and some other goodies inside. It was worth the price, and I believe that merchant does international shipping.

@Lanikai: WELCOME BACK! Missed you. Thanks so much for the tip. Will do as you suggest.

@Defacto (hope you see the reply here! Trying to keep post counts down):

"Am I correct in assuming that you gave it a whack with some Scotch brite?"

Well, I used one of those Titanium scratch removal "pens" one buys on *Bay. Bostonwatchexchange, I think they're called. Fantastic merchants, but my Andrew PAM 177h titanium watch was not improved at all by it. Their Titanium is silvery, whereas mine is coppery -- thus the difference is very telling.

I had also bought a titanium scratch pad, which I used after applying the pen. Didn't help. Au contraire. STAY AWAY newbies.

BTW, love your "Curses! Foiled Again" dramatic chipmunk avatar. Never fails to make me laugh, Defacto. :)

Tangentially, I almost ruined my PAM 177 by using one of those Titanium scratch-remover pens I bought you know where. The scratch pad made it even worse. AND I WAS GENTLE.

Do you guys think the Cape Cod would take out the glaring Titanium "silver" or just ruin the entire look by stripping the Ti?

I don't care about the scratch at this point -- I'm angry at the difference in colour. Really, it's tiny and probably most people don't see it, but I do, and it drives me insane.

@Ahchard: Yes, you can use it on steel shafts. Pretty much anything really, that is non-tarnishable, like gold and stainless steel. As for buying them, I went with to the *bay again, and bought a tin of 16. It came with gloves, and some other goodies inside. It was worth the price, and I believe that merchant does international shipping.

cape Cod would shine the TI and lighten the TI .. I don't like my Titanium to shine .. if you do use it on TI and want to remove the "shiny" look just get some dish soap and a tooth brush and take of the petrolium by produsts ... I rather have the TI matte .. the cape cod will make the TI more "silver" .. and you cannot "strip TI it is solid Titanium

@Ahchard

for your golf clubs use chome polish which is like a rubbing compund for chromium and a 000 steelwool ... which you can get at the hardware store ... don't use anything but triple 000 .. it will not scratch the chome but with the chromium polish will remove the rust.. NZ has a lot of salt air like Hawaii.. if the club shafts have spotted rust cape code is more a polish and not a compound .. done it many times on my shafts

Miss barrett,

Am I correct in assuming that you gave it a whack with some Scotch brite? I must say that non-polished surfaces are so difficult to return to their original state. This frustrates me the most on bead-blasted watches. It is one of my favorite finishes, bar none, but when it's scratched...I am totally helpless. Just venting on that one. Anyway, since I am also unfamiliar with the exact manner in which it is finished, let alone the properties of the Ti that they use in it, the typical rules of Ti cleaning might not apply. You could also just send it to vacuum or the like and have the whole case refinished. The $60 or so that it would cost is worth it when you consider the cost of replacing your 177 ;)

@Lanikai: WELCOME BACK! Missed you. Thanks so much for the tip. Will do as you suggest.

Curious, do you think it would work on 1 of andrews daytonas that I have...the 2 tone with 14k wrapped (i think tripple)? or would it take the wrapping straight off?

I used to gold plate.. and generally plating can be polished once in a while.. but gold "wrap" is very thick and can be polished with the cape cod cloth.. cape cod is just petrolium by-products.. (silicone base) the cloth will show a little black after polishing any metal this is just the oxidation showing.. cape code is not a compound .. just go lightly not with alot of pressure.. when you finish with the cape cod polish with a dry polishing cloth.. sont keep going with the cape code all you want is to get a little polish from the cloth onto the metal

for daily use use a soft cloth ( like they use on eye glasses).. or if you are familiar with "dry wash" car polish .. you can use this more frequently .. it the metal has a lot of dust on it and you don't have the dry wash .. never.. never wipe it with a dry cloth .. the dust will scratch the metal especialy the gold as it is softer.. just rinse it under water before using a plain polishing cloth

@ vbarrett.. empty your PM.. trying to send.... Lanikai

Your saying after applying the cape cod, to use a wet cloth or run the watch under a little bit of water before using a drying cloth...I am using eye glass cloth to dry it, should I wet it before drying off?

Archard, ebay or http://www.capecodpolish.ca/ they deliver anywere i think...When im not playing good cop bad cop(im a probation officer) my main love/hobby is cooking and I have quite an extensive knife collection (100 or so knives) I use the cape cod on them and it makes them shine, even better than the day I bought them...

Edited by UB7

Your saying after applying the cape cod, to use a wet cloth or run the watch under a little bit of water before using a drying cloth...I am using eye glass cloth to dry it, should I wet it before drying off?

Archard, ebay or http://www.capecodpolish.ca/ they deliver anywere i think...

after applying the polish with the cape cod cloth.. "polish" with a eye glass cloth.. don't go over and over with the cape cod... don't wet it

if the watch has alot of dust on it don't wipe it with a dry cloth.. rinse the dirt off first.. if you just wipe it with a dry cloth.. the dust between the gold(soft) and cloth will leave fine swirls in the metal which will look terrible in the light..

I notice cape cod cloths at ACE hardware store here in the states

You are right, cape-cod cloths can be purchased at most Ace hardware stores. They work very nicely on polished surfaces, on the rest go lightly and not too often. They are abrasive and will take the brushed look, or gold plate off surfaces if not careful.

For everyday rags to clean, I use microfiber cloths. They are great at removing fingerprint type oils and such which is what we experience most on our watches. When cleaning, don`t throw them in with the regular wash, do them seperate. Wash them in a sink or such with normal dish soap. Then hang to dry. Reason being they can attract or collect dirt particules on the cloth by just being in the wash with other clothes, and then scratch your precious piece...

Thanks for that! Have got the 000 steel wool and chrome polish and will try it on the golf clubs this weekend...

GRIP IT AND RIP IT Ahchard .. good luck, it's getting to be summer in NZ huh?.. your clubs will be so slick those 300 meter drives will be a piece of cake..

have a great round,

lanikai

Curious, do you think it would work on 1 of andrews daytonas that I have...the 2 tone with 14k wrapped (i think tripple)? or would it take the wrapping straight off?

You haven't unwrapped it yet ? :animal_rooster:

I used to gold plate.. and generally plating can be polished once in a while.. but gold "wrap" is very thick and can be polished with the cape cod cloth

But that begs the question, do these watches really have wrap? That's another thread altogether people can search for. ;)