When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

[KM] 50th Anniversary Speedmaster Moon Watch Review

kenmasters

I finally got myself an omega moon watch. I tried looking for the normal full-size moon watch, but I couldn't get one that wasn't in the 'reduced' form. So I went ahead and tried out the replica of the 50th anniversary moon watch (manual, lemania) which is suppose to be full size. Indeed, it measured 39mm (excluding the crown). There's been lots of great reviews from By-Tor, PugWash, Baltic, etc. on these replica moon watches. The 50th watch is no different than other reviews - same sub-dial spacing issue, flat cystral, 3-6-9 o'clock markers shorter, sapphire back case, bracelet does not say 'professional' on it, movement does not read Omega anymore, etc. But is this a good replica of the 50th anniversary version ? Lets see.

MARKETING PHOTOS of the GEN.

50thspeedynicetu1.jpgdetailsspeedmasterb2hn8.jpg

PHOTOs of the REP from Trustytime. (excellent delivery time btw) Note: Unlike By-Tor and Pugwash, I'm not very good at setting up photos, i'll take better ones later ;)

50thspeedy4jh7.jpg50thspeedy1oh2.jpg

50thspeedy2si0.jpg50thspeedy3lt6.jpg

50th Version Accuracy

I don't have a genuine 50th in front of me to compare, but I've seen many photos online - I've attached the best ones I've seen here. There are different versions of the 50th, and this is the one that probably stands out the most. The nice gold seahorse logo is bright and looks nice. Originally I did not want this model because of this logo. I wanted to get the true moon watch experience, however, this logo has grown on me. It actually makes the watch feel more expensive. Maybe its just me, but the gold logo brings a 'rolex' feel to it. The logo itself is not bad. It doesn't have the detail as the marketing photo of the gen above. But you can only see this close up. The fonts look good - correct proportions. The Red Omega logo beneath the seahorse is actually quite good. Some people may have thought that it was too 'dark' in colour. Compared to the nice photo above, it does look that way, but its not that bad. It appears more dark in photos due to black background of the dial. Does it look too crowded ? In my opinion, its nice regardless. You won't be able to read the logos unless you're the one wearing the watch.

One thing stood out other than the gold seahorse logo, the three subdials appear to have a different finish to them. Instead of flat black, the dials are composed of circular patterns. Is this common with reps? because you can't see them in the photos. I also noticed that the luminscence paint was off centered a bit on the lower right markers. Not noticable in the pictures.

The backcase is the same as previous reps. It doe not read, "50th anniversary" anywhere on the back where the gen would have. The bracelet is very nice, and but does not say 'professional' on it. The case is shiny and no where on the case and bracelet reads serial numbers or model numbers (except for the clasp). I've seen photos of the back of some reps, and they have numbers written all over it. The gen would have the same, but for some reason, this rep is 'clean'.

Conclusions

The photos speak for itself, but in my opinion, this is a really nice watch. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a nice replica, but hates the 'reduced' version. Being my first replica, I am actually quite shocked at the quality. Its very shiny and bright - unlike the photos on Trustytime. Dial is dark and the fonts are good. Overall, this is a very nice watch even if it is a replica. I don't think the average joe would know this is a rep. There is the accent of the 'e' of tachymetre and the bracelet doesn't have that 'curve' in it. After seeing a gen, I do miss the dome crystal. The 50th gen does have a 'domed' crystal contrary to some reports. That's one thing I may want to change on this watch. The luminescence on this watch is quite bad. It does glow only in pitch black and its not very bright. Common with all reps? I don't know.

Thanks!

KM

Dear KM:

Nice Review! I shocked when I saw your topic; as this 50th Speedmaster roll-out silently. No one here to discuss or aware about this rep..... I want to have my Moonwatch long long time ago (It's really legendary!!). But it really hold me back due the flaws too much on it & will get call-out not even from an expert.

From your photos & review; I guess the factory just re-work the dial only & release it. Maybe they would like to clear them old stock-out hand? I'm not sure but all flaws in previous version had been remained on this new 50th.

Anyway; hope u enjoy your first rep & wear it in good health!

Best Regards,

Raymond

After seeing a gen, I do miss the dome crystal. The 50th gen does have a 'domed' crystal contrary to some reports.

Not true. Your rep is more accurate than you think, as the gen SM logo'd Anniv model also has a flat sapphire crystal. The other far less obvious Anniv model (serial no. on dial text) however, has the classic domed hesalite crystal. Seen both in person and Omega specs also confirm.

Nice write-up Ken BTW :tu:

p.s. Raymond - the watch didn't go ENTIRELY unnoticed by our community ;)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...80&hl=Anniv

Brilliant work.

Actually I wasn't aware there was such a rep model available. I'll link this to the Omega Guide... so if you post more pictures and update the review, please edit this initial post of yours.

Thanks again... and enjoy your new watch. It's technically the same rep as the "reduced" one that I once reviewed... very nice.

I would like to know, for those who have the reduced rep, what does it measure from 9-3 'oclock ? excluding crown, measuring from the front including the front crystal, dial and tach ? I measure 39mm. Is this smaller than the pro ? because it feels larger than the reduced i tried out.

According to omega website, the 50th anniv with the seahorse logo has a 'domed' crystal. Is this false ?

Edited by kenmasters

Thanks By-Tor, according to your measurements on the 'reduced', it looks like the same size ! Why is that ? Is the reduced actually reduced then ? This is what I'm going to do.. I'm going to visit a store and snap some photos of the pro, reduced and my rep side-by-side. I'll solve this problem once and for all.

Edited by kenmasters

According to omega website, the 50th anniv with the seahorse logo has a 'domed' crystal. Is this false ?

You know that's strange, I've just checked now and you're right, the website does say 'domed sapphire' (as well as AR, hmmm).

However, I KNOW I've read it somewhere, either in the Omega catalogue and 50th Anniv literature I was sent recently, or maybe one of the scathing horology press reviews of the model (a pathetic attempt and missed opportunity by Omega to celebrate the iconic Speedy, is the general consensus).

Admittedly I didn't see the two side by side (the logo version was sold within a day or two) but I could have sworn it had a flat sapphire crystal. I have the domed acrylic classic Speedy and I know the difference. Maybe the dome is far less prominent in sapphire than acrylic. I have a warped sense of domeness anyway as I still find myself gawping at my T39 superdome some two or three years later. Now THAT'S a domed crystal, more 44DD to the Speedy's 36B :D

Ah well, as we all know, website specs can be like prototype pics, in that they sometimes change prior to production.

Ken, would be interesting to see a macro of the SM and retro red logo, a la the official marketing pic - are you able to oblige?

BTW, the gen Reduced Speedmaster comes in one size only.....35.5mm, midsize. Uses a basic chrono movt (c.3220) hence subdial spacing more akin to the Venus-based reps.

There is no rep Reduced as far as I'm aware. Our Venus-based reps, are essentially the same Pro full size 42 mm case (inc.crown) but the Venus relative subdial spacing is visually similar to the gen Reduced.

Not explaining that eloquently but sure you get the gist ^_^

Wow, thanks for sharing.

I didn't even heard about that rep neither.

Now, and pls do not take it for yourself, they (Omega) could have been a little more sober, aren't they ?

I mean that goldish seahorse is a litle Rolex 2007 YM...

But, for sure, thanks for posting and sharing, once again.

Cheers

Stephane

• 2 weeks later...

I also received this rep today. Must say I am VERY impressed!! Unfortunately my camera is "Out of action" at the moment, but all i can say is, the photos posted by Kenmasters do not do the piece justice (..no disrespect intended Kenmasters). I would recommend this rep to anyone and further more I would recommend Precious Time for an A+ service and "To the day" delivery estimate. Thanks!

just a quick question though, as this is a hand wind piece how do I know when to stop winding?? Will it be obvious or is it possible to over wind? Probably sounds stupid, but the last thing I want to do is wind this baby up to the point of breaking it!!

Any advice welcome!