When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is MBK ... vs, MBW ?

BobM

I know about MBWs ... sort of. I have seen and read a post by Pugwash about MBWs, at least the history of Mario's Best Watches. However, I am uncertain how that relates to current day circumstances and sources in Thailand (or elsewhere). I do not know what MBK stands for nor how that relates to my interest in finding best quality reps.

Thanks for your help and counsel.

BTW, would you believe I searched for "MBK" and for "MBW" and the search found nothing. !! ?? I don't understand that. I know there has been a lot of discussion about these issues.

BTW, would you believe I searched for "MBK" and for "MBW" and the search found nothing. !! ?? I don't understand that. I know there has been a lot of discussion about these issues.

MBK and MBW are the same watches, for all intents and purposes.

You'll see a lot of people using the term MBK instead of MBW because it's more accurate. MBW is actually a very inaccurate term.

I know about MBWs ... sort of. I have seen and read a post by Pugwash about MBWs, at least the history of Mario's Best Watches. However, I am uncertain how that relates to current day circumstances and sources in Thailand (or elsewhere). I do not know what MBK stands for nor how that relates to my interest in finding best quality reps.

Thanks for your help and counsel.

MBW was an acronym for Maria's Best Watches...Maria is no longer here sourcing them for the members...the one and only source for MBW/MBKs is thailand.

MBK is the correct acronym to call them as that is the place where they come from...

MBK and MBW are the same watches, for all intents and purposes.

You'll see a lot of people using the term MBK instead of MBW because it's more accurate. MBW is actually a very inaccurate term.

Okay. MBW = "Mario's Best Watches" But, what does MBK stand for? And why are they supposed to be "the very best quality replicas"? Are all reps out of Thailand MBKs? Is there only one "factory" producing MBKs? How to spot MBKs ... what to ask for when trying to ensure that is what you are going to get when buying? ... and what to be careful about? I take it there are MBKs of certain gens and non-MBKs of the same gens ??

I have been able to discern that certain of our dealers get their supply out of Thailand. For a dealer that does, do they, therefore, get all their supply out of Thailand? ... some of but not all? Are all reps produced in Thailand these high quality MBKs?

And just how great/significant is this difference in quality? What is the character of the quality difference? Is it the external presentation and fidelity to the gens? ... Is there a quality difference in the movements? Is it worth paying a premium for those watches?

Okay. MBW = "Mario's Best Watches"

But, what does MBK stand for?

And why are they supposed to be "the very best quality replicas"?

Are all reps out of Thailand MBKs?

Is there only one "factory" producing MBKs?

How to spot MBKs ... what to ask for when trying to ensure that is what you are going to get when buying?

... and what to be careful about?

I take it there are MBKs of certain gens and non-MBKs of the same gens ??

I have been able to discern that certain of our dealers get their supply out of Thailand. For a dealer that does, do they, therefore, get all their supply out of Thailand?

... some of but not all?

Are all reps produced in Thailand these high quality MBKs?

And just how great/significant is this difference in quality?

What is the character of the quality difference?

Is it the external presentation and fidelity to the gens?

... Is there a quality difference in the movements?

Is it worth paying a premium for those watches?

Right candidates you may turn over your question papers

Your time starts now

You have three and a half hours to complete the paper

No cheating, no talking, & good luck

:p

Okay. I have re-read Mr. Pugwash's post on MBWs, and all the postings in that string.

Pug's article

Now, let me see now if I can answer my own questions?

Okay. MBW = "Mario's Best Watches"

Actually Maria's Best Watches

But, what does MBK stand for?

A "short" reference to the MBK Center in Bangkok. Wikipedia has quick information about MBK Center.

And why are they supposed to be "the very best quality replicas"?

Not really sure about this, but it seems - originally - the watches were modified to make them closer to the gens, before sale. Now, I suspect, they are simply subjected to a high standard for fidelity to the gens and good quality control.

Are all reps out of Thailand MBKs?

If there is more than one factory in Thailand producing watches, the answer would ne "No" If there is only once rep source out of Thailand, the answer would be "Yes".

Is there only one "factory" producing MBKs?

Yes.

How to spot MBKs ... what to ask for when trying to ensure that is what you are going to get when buying?

If you want an MBK, buy from and MBK 'collector'. Make sure you ask questions about what you are going to get,

... and what to be careful about?

Only to ensure there is an agreement with the seller about what you are going to get.

I take it there are MBKs of certain gens and non-MBKs of the same gens ??

Yes. But logic suggests not all rep models are produced as MBKs, so MBKs represent a subset of options among the reps available.

I have been able to discern that certain of our dealers get their supply out of Thailand. For a dealer that does, do they, therefore, get all their supply out of Thailand? ... some of but not all?

Probably depends on the dealer.

I have not found an answer to that question.

And just how great/significant is this difference in quality? What is the character of the quality difference?

seems that probably depends on the eye of the beholder. More important to "purists" than to some others of us. To the purists the differences will seem great, to others they will be inconsequential.

Is it the external presentation and fidelity to the gens? ... Is there a quality difference in the movements?

As best I can tell it is almost exclusively external fidelity to the gens.

Is it worth paying a premium for those watches?

... in the eye of the beholder ...

One more piece of data to tie this off (for me):

I have the impression - though I have no personal knowledge of this - that the quality of replicas is improving, year-by-year. If so, then any difference in quality between MBKs and other reps is diminishing and becoming less significant, however signicant it may be or has been.

A little study goes a long way

98%

well Done!

I have not found an answer to that question.

MBKs are somewhat of an anomaly being produced as they are in Thailand. Outside of these virtually all rep watches in Thailand are Ex Guangzhou.

I remember my first MBK submariner, at that time MBW submariner.

Considerably more money for a watch I thought looked no better than others I have bought for less than half the price.

I was disappointed to say the least.

With all the hoopla raised here I thought the MBK submariner would have been much better quality.

Perhaps great for fanatic modders, but not for me.

The legend is better than the product.