When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1 more daytona...

UB7

I have the SS with the black face and red subdials. I find it hard to read the time unless the lighting is good. I really like the watch.

I look at my phone if I need to know what time it is. I noticed that sometimes I'll have to check my watch three or four times before I remember to stop adoring it and actually make a note of what time it is. I'm sure it's a common problem here.

I look at my phone if I need to know what time it is. I noticed that sometimes I'll have to check my watch three or four times before I remember to stop adoring it and actually make a note of what time it is. I'm sure it's a common problem here.

That's very comforting.. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 glances to actual mentally record the time. That's even after 1 year of having the same watches.. Reps truly are the gift that keeps on giving :D

I fell in love with the Daytona when I wrote my review of it. However the black one does nothing for me.

It's still a legendary watch, and the reps are great (at least visually)!

Thanks...Why is this the most highly demanded watch amoungst gen. rolex collectors? Why are there 5 year waitlists for this watch at AD's? Seems like a SS daytona is the most highly overpriced timepiece of all time...My AD said somone offered him 15g cash to get one today, mind blowing if you ask me :-p Bytor, some days the black does nothing for me too, than I wear my white 1, thats why I have 3 :-P I match the watch color to my clothes usually even tho its tacky-who cares :-p

Edited by UB7

I find the black dial difficult to read under anything other than good lighting conditions, so I prefer the white dial.

It is hard to say why the Daytona has become such a grail watch. Part of the reason is its connection to auto racing and Paul Newman (Newman is rumored to have worn a Daytona in the movie 'Winning', but it looks to me like another model)

win3.jpg

and part of the reason is the chronograph itself (chronographs have become very popular in general among collectors), and no doubt part of the lure is the constant lack of supply that Rolex bottlenecks as part of its very clever marketing strategy for the watch. Remember, that it is only in the last decade that the Daytona has became The IT watch with 2-5 year waiting lists. Believe it or not, during most of the Daytona's first 3 decades of life, dealers had alot of trouble moving them. Buyers thought the watch was ugly and overpriced. And, then, in the late 80's, an Italian magazine published a photo of Paul Newman wearing a vintage 6239 Daytona that his wife gave him as a birthday present and that seems to have been the match that lit the fire which has been growing hotter ever since.

2946_f260.jpg