When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I thought the superocean was waterproof....

thealphabeta

Hey

Anyone else had troubles with their Oceans not being waterproof?

I bought mine in July from a very reputable dealer from the board. Swiss and advertised as waterproof!

I swam with it for the first time on holiday last week and it steamed up after swimming and i cant get rid of it. The watch is also now running incredibly fast!!

Any thoughts or what can i do about it? I've contacted the dealer so far but im gutted

Thanks

Put it in a zip lock bag with some silica gel packs open the crown and remove the case back, this will remove the moisture the inside but the damage will have been done. The dealer should replace this watch, almost every one of them states it is water resistant to 1000m. Dealers do the right thing!

Im sorry to hear that. Definately info on the boards on what to do next to fix the watch, so dig around.

Just got my ETA version this week. My caseback arrived loose. Something that needs to be checked on every rep during the initial once over. How is yours?

A selling point of this watch for me at least is the watertight case. I am leary about this however. Do I pay $20-30 for a waterproofing test at a watchsmith, or do I roll the dice and deal with the consequences if it leaks? Easy decision for me on the watches I plan to wear around water.

Are there supposed to be O-rings on the crown tube? Mine does not have one.

hope all goes well Daver. I don't swim with watches unless it's my digital Timex Atlantis. otherwise i feel like they're a nuissance.. i've also lost a watch before in a lake.... Hopefully they will replace it for you.

I LOVEEEEEE your avatar by the way.. i'm probably the biggest jimi hendrix fan I know.. i have 34 jimi hendrix cds total... (total includes box sets and 3 disk sets). plus dvds: Monterey live, Woodstock live, and rare clips of Winterland Live as well as the movie titled "Jimi Hendrix". haha

a musical legend...

Hey all

Thanks for your advice thats great.

In answer to some of the questions...my caseback was fine, again something i always check too. I dont swim with mine either but the dealers seemed very confident about it - wish i hadnt now!

plaifender - cheers man i love the photo too. Hes a legend along with Jimi Page!! Yeah im a big guitar nut too so its a must really huh.

The dealer has got back to me very quickly offering to repair the watch for me and do a pressure test.

I took my mine with me on my cruise at the end of last month. It was used for all my water excursions. This included snorkelling, parasailing, and seadoos. No problems whatsoever. No signs of moisture build up at all. I don't know if this is hit or miss with quality control, but one thing I always checked for before entering water was to make damn sure the crown was screwed on really tight. I was really nervous at first because this is the first time I had ever submerged a rep in water. The fish passed the test with flying colors. I agree that the dealer should either repair or replace your watch. If they are a reputable dealer, you will have no problems with that. Good Luck ^_^

I don't know how many times this discussion comes up but the QC dependability vs disaster potential of swimming and diving never adds up favorably for reps. Best insurance for water tightness and frugality is to keep beautiful reps and high priced gens high and dry and keep your water watches disposable and easily replaceable.

I don't know how many times this discussion comes up but the QC dependability vs disaster potential of swimming and diving never adds up favorably for reps. Best insurance for water tightness and frugality is to keep beautiful reps and high priced gens high and dry and keep your water watches disposable and easily replaceable.

If I fork out over $350 for a solid stainless steel watch, i'm wearing it wherever the heck I want.

These watches are waterproof to 1000ft. Thats genuine submariner territory.

Oh, and my watch tested waterproof afterall. No problems.

If I fork out over $350 for a solid stainless steel watch, i'm wearing it wherever the heck I want.

These watches are waterproof to 1000ft. Thats genuine submariner territory.

Oh, and my watch tested waterproof afterall. No problems.

I forked out over $2K for a genuine Omega SMP chrono and avoided sweating in it for 2 years. This summer, I decided to take it into the surf...one big wipeout and I came out of the water without the bezel...gone forever...PTSD near the shower in a fine watch now.

I'm done with all watches in H2O except for my Seiko Diver...absolutely bulletproof...and infinitely replaceable

If you really think these reps are water resistant to 30 bar...check out the water resistance test in this month's WatchTime. Very expensive genuines with shattered crystals and movements stopping at test levels I venture to say no replica would stand.

I own a rep SOSF for about a month, I rinse it with running water, showered many times and everything is OK, no moisture and the watch keeps running perfectly. As mentioned here, the only thing I do is to check that the crown is screwed tightly before exposure to water. I don't swimm or dive so much so I did not test it in these conditions. Probably for my next rep I will test also that the case back is screwed tightly and not take chances.

P.S., it is refreshing to read here about Jimi Hendrix and Page among all the replica stories.