When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When your favorite watch gets bumped down to 2nd Place...

TeeJay

I bet this is quite a common occurence with folks with huge collections, but, I've really only just had it happen :mellow: My Planet Ocean Big Size was, until I got my PAM 111h, my favorite of my watches, and it seldom left my wrist. So much so, that even trying another watch on (such as the VC Overseas) gave me the feeling of 'getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!'. Now, I got my PAM as a casual wear watch, and I admit, I've been wearing jeans all week, so I kept it on. But. I just put the PO back on for a few moments, and decided to put the PAM back on :huh: The PO is by far the superior watch... More comfortable case and strap (feels non-existent on my wrist compared to the PAM) has more accurate dial (as it has minute indices rather than just the '10 minute' markers) and, has more sentimental value, having been bought with inheritance money from my gran, although I have to admit, the size of the PAM dial does make it easier to read at a glance, even if not quite as 'precice to the minute'... A few days ago, I was confident that when I next wore a suit and shirt, I'd be putting my Omegas back on. Now, I'm not so sure... Has my PlanetOceanitis been cured and overtaken by PAMophelia? :huh:

Anyone else had this experience where your favorite is suddenly no longer your favorite?

Edited by TeeJay

I'm suffering right now. I bought my TT Navi from itseme over at RWI while my blue SFSO was away being repaired. I fell in love with the Navi, what a great looking watch on leather or TT strap, wore nothing else for 3 weeks, not even my PAM or PO, now the SFSO is back the Navi is 'off wrist'. Decisions, decisions!

Edited by Emmzy

.............. Has my PlanetOceanitis been cured and overtaken by PAMophelia? :huh:

Teejay, Good to hear that you've finally been infected with PAMophelia :D

The fun part is that I tend to wear my PAM when I'm dressed casual smart and that I wear my sporty watches when I'm wearing jeans. You're doing the exact opposite, hahaha.

And to answer your question, remember my SMP that I modded with gen dial, hands and new movement? I was so happy with this watch when it was finished. But I hardly ever had it on my wrist since I started wearing PAMs and it has been sold a few days ago........... :blink:

So welcome to the PAM addict support group! :1a:

I have a fairly larger collection 20 (+) pieces.

They are ALL my second favorites since I got my MBK Nautilus a month or so ago.

For the first time in 4 years, I have worn this watch exclusively. I can't take the thing off.

I can's stop looking at it, never really seeing the time...just admiring the way the light plays off the the polished/brushed case. For me it works for all occasions, jacket, or jeans.

To me it is the worlds most beautiful watch. Period. This photo does it no justice.

post-22-1190323542_thumb.jpg

I'm suffering right now. I bought my TT Navi from itseme over at RWI while my blue SFSO was away being repaired. I fell in love with the Navi, what a great looking watch on leather or TT strap, wore nothing else for 3 weeks, not even my PAM or PO, now the SFSO is back the Navi is 'off wrist'. Decisions, decisions!

Now that's a tricky situation. I had a similar conflict when I had my 2531.80 being repaired, and bought a 2220.80, and couldn't really decide which I prefered, so I came to the compromise of 2531.80 for a more 'everyday' watch, 2220.80 for more formal occasions. Of course, once my Planet Ocean 2900.50.91 came back, that didn't come off my wrist at all, and I couldn't stand to wear anything else. Ironically, the first PAM 111h I bought, even though it had to be returned due to a defective power reserve, I hardly even put on, but, a month or so later, and I really like my new one :)

Teejay, Good to hear that you've finally been infected with PAMophelia :D

The fun part is that I tend to wear my PAM when I'm dressed casual smart and that I wear my sporty watches when I'm wearing jeans. You're doing the exact opposite, hahaha.

And to answer your question, remember my SMP that I modded with gen dial, hands and new movement? I was so happy with this watch when it was finished. But I hardly ever had it on my wrist since I started wearing PAMs and it has been sold a few days ago........... :blink:

So welcome to the PAM addict support group! :1a:

I've always been a PAMophile, I was just 'in the closet' untill now :lol: To me, there is something almost perverse and fetishistic about PAMs, compared to other watches. There are a couple of PAMs I want to get as part of my 'movie watches' collection, like the 1950 Orlando Bloom wore in Elizabethtown (with as similar a strap as possible), and the Chrono PAM worn by Jason Statham in the Transporter movies. From a comment he made on the commentary for the first movie, I got the impression that it was his own personal watch, rather than a wardrobe choice. From an interview I read with Orlando Bloom, I suspect that the 1950 was also his own personal watch, as he was wearing one during the interview.

I think the thing that's surprizing me, is how a week ago, I couldn't stand to take the Planet Ocean off, now, even though it is more comfortable to wear, I'm taking it off again in favor of the PAM :huh: Curious indeed :lol:

I have a fairly larger collection 20 (+) pieces.

They are ALL my second favorites since I got my MBK Nautilus a month or so ago.

For the first time in 4 years, I have worn this watch exclusively. I can't take the thing off.

I can's stop looking at it, never really seeing the time...just admiring the way the light plays off the the polished/brushed case. For me it works for all occasions, jacket, or jeans.

To me it is the worlds most beautiful watch. Period. This photo does it no justice.

post-22-1190323542_thumb.jpg

I have to admt, the Nautilus is a gorgeous watch. I have no plans at present to buy one, but, like the AP Royal Oak, I suspect if I saw one 'in person', I would probably really like it.

Yeah. <_< Don't ask, i'm in denial.

Because I like this

DSC01625.jpg

Better then the gen I just pinched pennys to purchase prior to it..

DSC01559.jpg

Thankfully they're both badass to me. :D

But do you get the feeling you're unlikely to wear the TAG again? That's kind of the feeling I'm getting with my Planet Ocean :huh::o:huh:

How about the reverse, when a watch becomes your favorite when it shouldn't? My SMP Chrono is in this category - I have so many watches more deserving of wrist time, but the SMP Chrono gets more wrist time than any other watch, including a "better' standard SMP, Double AR 3717 and Inge and GST, DSN 111H and 082 and 183, 3 Breitling Evo's and SFSO, 2 uPO's, etc..... And this despite the fact that the date changes at 4 am instead of midnight, the crown spring is limp, and a gap in the bracelet between the clasp and first link. Despite all this I wear the heck out of this watch, and I'm not even sure why:

Wristshots018-1.jpg

How about the reverse, when a watch becomes your favorite when it shouldn't? My SMP Chrono is in this category - I have so many watches more deserving of wrist time, but the SMP Chrono gets more wrist time than any other watch, including a "better' standard SMP, Double AR 3717 and Inge and GST, DSN 111H and 082 and 183, 3 Breitling Evo's and SFSO, 2 uPO's, etc..... And this despite the fact that the date changes at 4 am instead of midnight, the crown spring is limp, and a gap in the bracelet between the clasp and first link. Despite all this I wear the heck out of this watch, and I'm not even sure why:

Wristshots018-1.jpg

I know that feeling as well :D Before I got my decent 2531.80, my 2531.80 project watch (which really was rather inaccurate) got more wrist time than my Submariner, which was by far the more attractive watch. I think part of the reason, was that the movement was about +2 secs a day, and, I'd come to prefer Omegas over Rolex. I still have it, but it's in need of a movement transplant (I killed this one attempting to learn how to regulate them)

Funny how it goes back and forth... :g:

I never let the PAMS off my wrist .. now I'm going through a period where I can't get the Omegas<IWC's and Breightlings off .. my Pams are neglected :yawn:

I'm curious to see if this is a phase and what the cycle will be like :whistling:

LIVE STRONG AND WEAR IT WELL

Funny how it goes back and forth... :g:

I never let the PAMS off my wrist .. now I'm going through a period where I can't get the Omegas<IWC's and Breightlings off .. my Pams are neglected :yawn:

I'm curious to see if this is a phase and what the cycle will be like :whistling:

LIVE STRONG AND WEAR IT WELL

This is the thing, part of me is thinking "Once I put a suit on, I'll put the Omega's back on..." but part of me is saying that the utter simplicity and minimalism of the PAM dial will keep winning me over :huh: Confusing times indeed :D

Anyone else had this experience where your favorite is suddenly no longer your favorite?

Not quite like this, but based on your posts from when you first got you 111H, this isn't surprising. You almost sounded apologetic about your PO when you were talking about your 'new' 111H.

Just wait until you get a good one! The PAM affliction is a strong one and the better the rep, the stronger the pull...

Now, about that strap... :)

SR