When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loose CG Pin on Panerai..how to tighten it?

beever

I dont know if I described it correctly but, on Panerais with the large crown guard, there is a lever that closes into the guard and against the crown of the watch. On my rep, and from what i have gathered on almost every rep, this pin is wobbly when in the open position. I have read for hours with no solution. I heard a vice to pinch the sides, some wire tubing trimmed to shim the hole. In my case, it seems that it wiggles from side to side and would require a washer or shim of some kind (or vice) to make it tight.

What is the solution..simple I hope.

The ubiquitary problem on reps is that the lever is loose when in opened position, not that the lever pin is wobbly.

Are you sure that it is your pin to be loose? (no pun intended)

Ok, you may try the usual fixes for the floppy lever problem.

1. Quick-and-dirty:

Remove the pin (with the same tool used to remove bracelet links -- have a look here).

Fill the hole in the crown guard and the lever, where the pin was, with silicon.

Reinstall the pin.

Clean any silicon excess.

Wait 24 hrs with the lever in the closed position before moving it again.

Or

2. The correct way:

Remove the pin as in 1.

Get a piece of electric wire that could accept the pin inside the rubber insulant, remove the copper threads, put the pin inside the insulant in place of the copper threads.

Measure the wire thickness (diameter) with a micrometer, where the pin is.

Remove the lever and enlarge its hole (where the pin was) with a dremel and a drill tip that diameter.

Remove the pin from the insulant (you may sacrifice the insulant if this is tricky).

Cut a piece of insulant as long as the lever's thickness.

Put the insulant inside the enlarged hole of the lever.

Mount the lever back in the crown guard.

Push the pin back in its hole in the crown guard and lever.

This way you will make a rubber gasket (or a very thin silicon gasket, with method 1) around the pin.

This should keep the pin firm and it will get you rid of the floppy lever.

Your solution was not correct for my situation. The issue wasnt the hole, but the fact that the opening for the CG pin was too wide. Tightening the pin would not keep it from wobbling so, no amount of silicone or wire insulation would fix the lever, in my case anyway. Pressure was needed to "pinch" the sides of the crown guard closer togetherby a fraction, and then the lever was tight. I also ruined the crown guard by using a pair of plyers with teeth on it, even though I taped them up pretty good, they still left a mark so I traded one small problem for another larger one. However, the solution worked perfectly and the pin no longer wiggles so, in the future, anyone trying this should be careful to use plenty of protection on the guard before applying pressure.

The wire insulation is similar to the Jimmy Fu setup, but I have found a childs (girls) toy / craft material which is very good. This is fine, coloured, plastic tubing that girls twist and plait to make wristbands and key fobs etc. I don't know what it is called but ask any 10 or 12 year old and they should be able to point you in the right direction. It's finer than most readily available electrical wire insulation and just the correct size. Just steal some off your neighbours kid.

Your solution was not correct for my situation. The issue wasnt the hole, but the fact that the opening for the CG pin was too wide. Tightening the pin would not keep it from wobbling so, no amount of silicone or wire insulation would fix the lever, in my case anyway. Pressure was needed to "pinch" the sides of the crown guard closer togetherby a fraction, and then the lever was tight. I also ruined the crown guard by using a pair of plyers with teeth on it, even though I taped them up pretty good, they still left a mark so I traded one small problem for another larger one. However, the solution worked perfectly and the pin no longer wiggles so, in the future, anyone trying this should be careful to use plenty of protection on the guard before applying pressure.

And:

"Thanks for all your help, Sssurfer."

I'm not Miss Manners. But a nice thank you wouldn't have gone amiss, Beever, whatever the solution.

And:

"Thanks for all your help, Sssurfer."

I'm not Miss Manners. But a nice thank you wouldn't have gone amiss, Beever, whatever the solution.

No no no Victoria.

Sssurfer failed to completly understand the problem and took a stab at one possible fix. When helping someone you must account for any and all possiblites of what is wrong. Analyze the problem and come up with the solutions.

Then list in order every single possible repair.

I was actually disapointed Sssurfer failed in this case, and I hope when I go to him with a problem that he actually takes the time to ensure my complete satisfaction. It is clear that Sssurfer did not want to spend the time to adequately find a solution. His failure is monumental. There is no defence.

I was actually disapointed Sssurfer failed in this case, and I hope when I go to him with a problem that he actually takes the time to ensure my complete satisfaction. It is clear that Sssurfer did not want to spend the time to adequately find a solution. His failure is monumental. There is no defence.

:lol:

George, it's getting so that I have to put on the Secret RWG Decoder Ring to read your posts. Since only one person can possess it at a time, I fear dire consequences when others read them!

:p

Btw, maybe -- just maybe -- I could have figured a solution should beever had not used the word "pin" as a synonim of "lever"...

Actually, I got what he was meaning only after his second post here.

And then it was too late to prevent me from my monumental failure. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I just wonder why I spent my time to post this just not to even getting a "fuck you" reply...

Hey sssurfer, please don't feel unappreciated, there are plenty of lurkers out there who appreciate the info greatly. On behalf of all of us: Thank you! :good: