When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO crown will not screw down

Eric L.

I recall that transplanting the gen crown and tube has already been attempted by a member here. The rep tube is pressed into the case (no threads), and the gen tube is threaded. Problem is that the gen tube is smaller than the hole in the case, so you have to glue the tube in to the case. The member that did this previously never posted pics of how the transplant worked out however.

The gen PO tube is press fitted as is the gen SMP tube. The main problem will be that the hole in the case being the wrong diameter, I was fortunate when doing my SMP tube/crown swap as it was quite a tight fit but I added some adhesive to be sure. Looking forward to hearing how close the PO is before I rip out the rep tube :rolleyes:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bazz... sorry for the confusion, still kinda new to all these. So the stem we are referring to is the ETA part, and the crown and tube the gen Omega parts?

No worries Ed, the stem is an ETA part which screws onto the rep/gen Omega crown, also be aware that when doing any crown/tube swap to gen you will need to order both the crown and the tube as gen to rep parts will rarely be compatible.

The gen PO tube is press fitted as is the gen SMP tube. The main problem will be that the hole in the case being the wrong diameter, I was fortunate when doing my SMP tube/crown swap as it was quite a tight fit but I added some adhesive to be sure. Looking forward to hearing how close the PO is before I rip out the rep tube :rolleyes:

the gen tube i have is threaded, whatever though, should be easy enough to fill in the hole of the case with a good epoxy filler then neatly drill it it out enough so that the gen tube will thread in nicely, works on my russian bike carby's so why not my genuine chinese omega?

Hold up... sorry the SMP tube was press fitted but looking at the PO tube it is threaded to the case as andreww said sorry.

the gen tube i have is threaded, whatever though, should be easy enough to fill in the hole of the case with a good epoxy filler then neatly drill it it out enough so that the gen tube will thread in nicely, works on my russian bike carby's so why not my genuine chinese omega?

If you do this I would be keen on seeing how it goes :)

To those who have purchased genuine tubes, can you post the diameter (of the portion that inserts into the case)?

It would be great to know the diameter for the SMP tube (push fit, unthreaded), and for the threaded PO tube. Thanks much.

I have an ETA UPO so I now don't feel so paranoid about it screwing up on me.

Hate to be the barer of bad news...but my ETA version has the same problem. I believe the problem may be the timing of the purchase when these first came out. Min is also about 10 months old and lasted about 6 months before it stripped.

Good luck though...

FYI, Trusty time reply me on a question, and the problem concern only the 45mm PO, not the 42mm PO.

Trusty's comment was not correct. My 42mm PO had the same problem with the crown/tube stripping, and it had to be returned to the dealer for repair.

So any updates on which gen parts fit and which don't for the 45mm UPO ETA?

I'm off to pick up a stem extender tomorrow so I can at least use the watch again temporarily. I told my watch repair guy the issue and he refused to work on the watch, so I'm off buying parts and trying it myself.

I also have a 45.5 PO that has the same stripped tube that is being discussed here. I ordered a new tube from Ofrei and as others have pointed out it is a threaded tube. However, unlike others, I have found that the hole in the case is slightly smaller than the threaded case tube. The Omega tube measures about 2mm. If I am able to determine the correct tap to use, it should be simple to drill and tap the case for the gen tube. If anyone knows the correct size tap or can obtain that information, it would be most beneficial if you would pass it along.

Edited by jdavis

...However, unlike others, I have found that the hole in the case is slightly smaller than the threaded case tube. The Omega tube measures about 2mm.

Wow, 2mm is really small. Are you sure of that measurement? Is there any chance that you could post a picture of the tube?

Just measured my one and the threaded side is 2.4mm

That is about right, Bazz. I don't have a cailper to get exact but I would imagine that the hole in the case is closer to 2mm.

Simonsev, do you think that your contact at Cousins could get the information about the proper size tap need to thread the case hole?

Edited by jdavis

That is about right, Bazz. I don't have a cailper to get exact but I would imagine that the hole in the case is closer to 2mm.

Simonsev, do you think that your contact at Cousins could get the information about the proper size tap need to thread the case hole?

Hi guys,

Have been busy with work, will try the cousins guy but will probably have more luck with my friendly watch guy, what i was going to do was find a bolt or 2 of the same dimensions and use these as a dodgy tap (look in cheap alarm clocks, carby parts suppliers or even old electrical gear has similar sized bolts) Heat treat them, file the tip of the bolt to a reasonably long taper and they work quite well, at least on other stuff i have tried them on. I should have thought of this and ordered a handful of tubes, they are about $4 from cousins as opposed to $30 for the crown. Will hopefully get a look into the project this weekend, work permitting, have emailed cousins so will keep details posted.

Hi guys,

Have been busy with work, will try the cousins guy but will probably have more luck with my friendly watch guy, what i was going to do was find a bolt or 2 of the same dimensions and use these as a dodgy tap (look in cheap alarm clocks, carby parts suppliers or even old electrical gear has similar sized bolts) Heat treat them, file the tip of the bolt to a reasonably long taper and they work quite well, at least on other stuff i have tried them on. I should have thought of this and ordered a handful of tubes, they are about $4 from cousins as opposed to $30 for the crown. Will hopefully get a look into the project this weekend, work permitting, have emailed cousins so will keep details posted.

Also if someone in the US can contact Watch Material, they seem to have a good stock of parts...................

So I guess no updates yet on possible repair options for a non screw down UPO. I managed to get mine working again with a crown extender, but the crown still sticks out somewhat due to the spring inside pushing it out. There had been some suggestions to somehow "eliminate the action of the spring in the crown" but so far no details on how that can be achieved. In the end, if the stripped crown is inevitable on UPO's, I think it seriously decreases its value as a good rep. My dealer (EL) has been no help, having disappeared from the forums for several months now and not replying to PMs.

I just diassembled my UPO and have found that the case tube hole is slightly larger than the Omega 090SST1232 case tube. It is close enough that I have applied some Gorilla Glue to the tube and clamped it to the case. Gorilla Glue expands as it cures and appears to have formed a solid bond. I hope that this will provide a permanent solution but, time will tell. I am sure that a good epoxy glue would work as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...