When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen UPO bezel on UPO

Mr.RadioActive

I searched this but couldn't find the answer. I'm modding a UPO hands/dial/crystal, and wanted to replace the bezel. Does anyone know if the gen bezel will fit the 45mm UPO? The bezel on the UPO is not horrible, except for the pearl, but it doesnt line up right. Has anyone replaced the bezel with gen? Of course parts are coming from Ofrei. Any help would be apprecaited!

LOL, that is prob why one of the hands, and the crystal is on B.O.for the last few weeks. I'd imagine hes more then happy with all the orders!

If the gen insert fits the UPO bezel I'd go that route, one way or another either Ive got to order the entire bezel, or just the gen insert. The UPO bezel seems to be nice, but the insert doesnt line up. Nobodys ever changed the rep bezel with gen, or the rep insert with gen?

$280 for the UPO, $600 for the upgrades. Im not concerned about the "just buy a gen" posts. (NOT DIRECTED @ YOU CABLE GUY!!!!!) I own alot of very high end gen watches, and this is a project Im doing is more for education then anything else. Alot of the mods will help guys know what works on the UPO and what doesn't. One of the modders is working with me. Im not concerned about the cost too much. If its over $1000 so be it. The gen is $2300, and Its not like Im doing it to ever sell it. I like the gen watch, but not so much to buy one. This project will benefit more people then myself.

If the gen insert fits the UPO bezel I'd go that route, one way or another either Ive got to order the entire bezel, or just the gen insert.

Genuine insert will not fit the rep. If you have a search for Pugwash's tut on how to remove and reglue the insert you will understand why. The gen insert is a cast aluminium piece with enough depth to allow the pearl to be pushed into it. The gen bezel has a very deep recess to allow the insert to fit.

The rep insert is stamped from a flat piece of metal with a hole in it for the pearl to stick through and is much thinner. The rep bezel is thicker as the pearl is sunk into it, and it only has a shallow recess for the insert.

I've never tried it, but I reckon the entire bezel/insert/pearl assemblies should be interchangeable between gen and rep having looked at pictures of their undersides and the click-spring. Who's willing to buy and try?!

Personally I'm not as I don't see the point - the uPO bezel and pearl is one of the most convincing looking pieces of watch replication I have seen (even if it is assembled differently from gen).

While I agree the bezel/insert are good, the insert is by far not great. The insert doesnt line up.

is there any problem in changing UPO dial to gen? and if anyone could tell how much (approximately) is a gen UPO dial from ofrei ?

Thanks

is there any problem in changing UPO dial to gen? and if anyone could tell how much (approximately) is a gen UPO dial from ofrei ?

Thanks

From memory I think its a couple of hundred dollars, It gets kind of silly doesn't it.

My new mantra is live with the flaws or buy the gen. :D

From memory I think its a couple of hundred dollars, It gets kind of silly doesn't it.

My new mantra is live with the flaws or buy the gen. :D

I do agree with you, if the cost of the original is not that expensive. In this case the PO is not a watch thats super expensive. Around the 2000 to 2500 Euros mark... If you end up spending over a 1000 euros on the watch and mods, you might as well save up some extra cash for a few months and go for the gen... For watches that range from 4000 to 50000 Euros or over, modding seems to make more sense.

But of course there is nothing like a good relume! Thats def worth it in my opinion! :)

Regards Viennawatch

• 2 weeks later...
the uPO bezel and pearl is one of the most convincing looking pieces of watch replication I have seen (even if it is assembled differently from gen).

I happen to think the pearl assembly is the weakest thing on a UPO. It's not centered in the triangle, the glass is always shoddily inserted and is usually lobsided and sloping, and the lume is the wrong colour. It is usually the first thing you will get called on.

I'm with r11co here, I'm not knocking you all (each to their own) but I think you're all certifiable pedants when it comes to the UPO :blink:

And I don't buy this 'education' defence. Where's the fun in spending hundreds ordering the part from Ofrei and hoping it fits??? Unless of course the 'fun' is in dealing with a rude and grumpy man with a severe personality disorder? :lol: That's a world of difference from hunting down rare vintage Rolex parts, matching serial years with features, discussing the far-from-organised methodologies practised by Rolex thirty years ago. Same with Pams, modifying vintage Angelus and Cortebert movements, dial colours etc. That's the fun for me.

Look, the UPO is one of the most perfect reps out there. I've had mine for a year now, sporting gen rubber, insert lines up perfectly in relation to bezel teeth, pearl nigh on perfect in appearance and alignment, and I've just had the crystal AR'd - now looks gen. The only thing that differentiaties it from the gen is the Omega logo on dial. Do I care? Nope. If you're really that bothered and that's your attitude (phone up a guy, quote a number, place an order) then for god's sake you may as well just order in the gen watch!!!

Remember, passion is a positive obsession, whereas obsession is a negative passion :whistling:

I'm with r11co here, I'm not knocking you all (each to their own) but I think you're all certifiable pedants when it comes to the UPO :blink:

And I don't buy this 'education' defence. Where's the fun in spending hundreds ordering the part from Ofrei and hoping it fits??? Unless of course the 'fun' is in dealing with a rude and grumpy man with a severe personality disorder? :lol: That's a world of difference from hunting down rare vintage Rolex parts, matching serial years with features, discussing the far-from-organised methodologies practised by Rolex thirty years ago. Same with Pams, modifying vintage Angelus and Cortebert movements, dial colours etc. That's the fun for me.

Look, the UPO is one of the most perfect reps out there. I've had mine for a year now, sporting gen rubber, insert lines up perfectly in relation to bezel teeth, pearl nigh on perfect in appearance and alignment, and I've just had the crystal AR'd - now looks gen. The only thing that differentiaties it from the gen is the Omega logo on dial. Do I care? Nope. If you're really that bothered and that's your attitude (phone up a guy, quote a number, place an order) then for god's sake you may as well just order in the gen watch!!!

Remember, passion is a positive obsession, whereas obsession is a negative passion :whistling:

Couldn't've said it better myself :thumbsupsmileyanim:

People, let's not forget, that at the end of the day, a rep is a rep, and will never be gen (unless every single component was swapped, and then it would be a different watch...

Also, the genuine Omega is not, never has, and never will, be/been called a UPO. It is the Planet Ocean Big Size. 2900.50.91

That is what you want to ask for parts for. Ask for parts for a "You Pee Oh" at an AD, and they're either going to give some strange looks, laugh, or, as Doc said with Ofrei, probably get you yelled at :p It's like not so long ago a collector got rather annoyed by someone calling their watch a "Noobmariner", as the watch was just an entry level Rolex, and the Noobmariner is only sold by this one dealer, and their comments could have given a negative impression of their product, which was not the actual subject of the person's topic anyway... This is the same with the UPO. It is just a term attached to a specific factory release by certain collectors. In terms of asking for the 'real thing' (or parts for it) Planet Ocean Big Size. 2900.50.91 is what you want to be asking for :)

Edited by TeeJay

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with r11co here, I'm not knocking you all (each to their own) but I think you're all certifiable pedants when it comes to the UPO :

I've had mine for a year now, sporting gen rubber, and I've just had the crystal AR'd - now looks gen.

We are all certifiable including you Doc! :rolleyes: A strap here, A crystal there, there is no difference in your analogy to modify antique or a modern watch. Your opinion is a contradiction in flavors. A thick crust pizza would be horrible with extra cheeze but one of those good old fashioned thin crusts would really benifit. Cmon! :mellow:

It is an obsession fauxchizzle on your dizzle. ;) If someone wants to go all out on 22's for his Faux/Jeep Hummer I say let him and I would encourage it. Why, because it is facinating and educational.

We are all certifiable including you Doc! :rolleyes: A strap here, A crystal there, there is no difference in your analogy to modify antique or a modern watch. Your opinion is a contradiction in flavors. A thick crust pizza would be horrible with extra cheeze but one of those good old fashioned thin crusts would really benifit. Cmon! :mellow:

It is an obsession fauxchizzle on your dizzle. ;) If someone wants to go all out on 22's for his Faux/Jeep Hummer I say let him and I would encourage it. Why, because it is facinating and educational.

You are so so wrong. A few tweaks from standard UPO - a gen rubber strap for

If there was an easy way to sort out the pearl on the UPO I would be interested, only because the glass bit won't sit down into its frame and is sharp / rough to touch. Otherwise, I totally agree that throwing money at a rep doesn't make any sense. However it hasn't stopped me building franken Panerais, using gen parts where available. I suppose having hobbies doesn't make much sense at all.

Hi Doc,

If Radio wants to spend the extra money to satisfy his need to educate himself and others, this is a very valid and selfless act.

...i agree with the "to educate himself" part.

As for the "...and others" i'm really curious to see how many of the thousands RWG members are intended to spend another $600 or more to put some genuine parts on a (good looking already) fake watch.

A poll would enlighten us :D

Edited by spa

As for the "...and others" i'm really curious to see how many of the thousands RWG members are intended to spend another $600 or more to put some genuine parts on a (good looking already) fake watch.

Thanks Spa,

For the record, I see what Doc is saying and I completely see the point of view with the cash amount funneled toward a rep. I was just trying to show that whether it be a Polex, Omeega, IWC or any brand, it is still the same obsession at any price. Go Radio Go!

Exactly! Although I can't even see the "educate himself" part unless you mean if the gen parts don't fit, he realises he's a bit of a numpty :D Or to educate himself on some of the more 'interesting' clinical manifestations of personality disorders (i.e. dealing with Bob Frei). Maybe there's some self-interest/common ground with the latter? :whistling:

For the record, I see what Doc is saying and I completely see the point of view with the cash amount funneled toward a rep. I was just trying to show that whether it be a Polex, Omeega, IWC or any brand, it is still the same obsession at any price.
But you're still missing the vital point ;) The "more money than sense" adage. It's not the amount of money into a modding a rep per se (god knows I've ploughed a lot into some vintage Rollie and Pam projects) but it's the proportionality of investment and perceived improvement. Buying every possible gen part for the UPO is ridiculous IMO because not only are you investing a significant amount of the gen's price (itself insane) you are getting a return of virtually no improvement in cosmetic appearance, the very reason for modding in the first place. There is no naked eye difference between most of the gen and rep parts, the stock UPO is THAT good.

The real question these people should ask themselves (in the mirror talking to themselves in the third person maybe ^_^) is if these things bother them that much, then maybe they should just stick to gens in the first place. It's these same types (you know who you are) that talk about cannibalising a Tudor Sub to make a "perfect" Rolex Sub :blink:

Exactly! Although I can't even see the "educate himself" part unless you mean if the gen parts don't fit, he realises he's a bit of a numpty :D Or to educate himself on some of the more 'interesting' clinical manifestations of personality disorders (i.e. dealing with Bob Frei). Maybe there's some self-interest/common ground with the latter? :whistling:

But you're still missing the vital point ;) The "more money than sense" adage. It's not the amount of money into a modding a rep per se (god knows I've ploughed a lot into some vintage Rollie and Pam projects) but it's the proportionality of investment and perceived improvement. Buying every possible gen part for the UPO is ridiculous IMO because not only are you investing a significant amount of the gen's price (itself insane) you are getting a return of virtually no improvement in cosmetic appearance, the very reason for modding in the first place. There is no naked eye difference between most of the gen and rep parts, the stock UPO is THAT good.

The real question these people should ask themselves (in the mirror talking to themselves in the third person maybe ^_^) is if these things bother them that much, then maybe they should just stick to gens in the first place. It's these same types (you know who you are) that talk about cannibalising a Tudor Sub to make a "perfect" Rolex Sub :blink:

Gottcha Doctor of the black rock. ;)