When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ziggy's Relume Of Pam187 (just Got It Back In Today...)

Quarks

Just received my much awaited 187 which was sent for service and a relume job a while ago. This is the 2nd 187 I got from Ken (Yes I am nuts). Anyways when I first got it, I was a bit disappointed with the workmanship. The first problem lies with the font. The 'automatic chrono' wording on the 6 o'clock subdial looks crappy because the 'c' of the 'chrono' word was not printed properly and looked like half a 'c' rather than a full curved 'c'.

Secondly, the skeleton hands on the watch were dirty. There were fingerprints on it and it was sooo visible. I was about to send my first 187 to Rob but then decided to send this one in first. I requested the hands to be cleaned or polished, basically whatever it takes to remove those fugly looking stuff on the hands. And with regards to the font, I wasn't sure if Rob could do anything about the font so I did not put the request in.

Third, playing with the chronos, the movement of the chrono hand looks VERY inconsistent. Something had to be done - servicing. With these problems, I asked Rob for help to get the watch serviced as well as giving it a relume job - only on the markers.

It has been a few weeks and today, I finally got the watch back. Much to my surprise, the 'C' font was corrected! Did Rob rectify it for me? I have no idea, he must have! Thanks Rob, it looks amazing... absolutely perfect. :) And the relume. I am amazed. Totally dumbfounded. It looks exactly like the gen. Well, words does not do justice. So I'll let the comparison pics do the talking....

Guess which one is gen and which is a rep..... ;) ( I apologise for the poor comparison of pics)

53336-35915.jpg53336-35916.jpg

53336-35917.jpg53336-35918.jpg

53336-35919.jpg53336-35920.jpg

53336-35919.jpg53336-35922.jpg

53336-35923.jpg

Once you have finally differentiate which is the rep (date function is a dead-giveaway if you haven't noticed), you can see that on the rep, the illume has a 3D effect compared to when I first got from Ken which was basically a sticker-like illume. The 3D effect of the illume is exactly the same for the gen, maybe just 1mm thinner in width. Nevertheless, I am very very happy with what Rob has done. Plus, the 'C' on the 'Chrono' wording is rectified! Much kudos to you Rob! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by Quarks

@dadog13: Here are the pics of the illume.

@V: Veni, get one already! :angry:

REP (left) vs GEN (right)

Rep (large pic)

53381-35902.jpg

53381-35903.jpg53381-35904.jpg

53381-35905.jpg53381-35906.jpg

Damn Rob's super illume outshines the tritium! SHOCKING! :wounded1:

I placed the gen under the light longer than the rep and still got trashed by the rep's super illume.... disappointing. *slams head on keyboard*

Quarks-

You are my hero. Out of your mind but still my hero. :lol: By the way, who was nice enough to lend you their gen? :lol:

Ziggy-

Unbelievable job. After I beg you for a slot in you're busy schedule mine will be on its way shortly thereafter. It is currently on loan :whistling: but as soon as I get it back... :)

Hmmm. That might have been a worth while project . . . must investigate further . . .

Wont work, the date wheels on a 7750 (Asian is a 7750 modified to be a 7753...) is smaller than the datewheel on a 7753. So you can't replace the asian with a ETA 7753...

@quarks

Glad you like the results, on the "c" lettering, I can't remember doing anything to it, so maybe dirt was on it and I removed it when I cleaned the dial???

Funny on the lume comparison, every once in a while I get comments back that the lume doesnt' perform very good and they think it's no good... The comment is that the lume is not visible as bright green glowing -in some cases people expect it to glow bright green in direct sunlight.......sigh...

The Super lume is designed to work in the dark, if you can see the watch - you have no need of lume to tell the time...however, this Super Lume works amazing in the dark. I have all the watches lined up each week on a dresser in my room, waiting to get shipped home. If I get up at night to use the bathroom, I can see the glow of the watches as they sit there in the darkness...it's so amazing...if you understand the limitations and reasons for the Super Lume, I think it performs very well...

Thanks for the kind words, appreciated.

This was one of the longest turn times, only due to the fact I was gone for 10 days on business... and even then, total time was about 4 weeks, not bad from Australia to Canada and return... and considering the movement type and work done...

RG

@quarks

Glad you like the results, on the "c" lettering, I can't remember doing anything to it, so maybe dirt was on it and I removed it when I cleaned the dial???

Funny on the lume comparison, every once in a while I get comments back that the lume doesnt' perform very good and they think it's no good... The comment is that the lume is not visible as bright green glowing -in some cases people expect it to glow bright green in direct sunlight.......sigh...

The Super lume is designed to work in the dark, if you can see the watch - you have no need of lume to tell the time...however, this Super Lume works amazing in the dark. I have all the watches lined up each week on a dresser in my room, waiting to get shipped home. If I get up at night to use the bathroom, I can see the glow of the watches as they sit there in the darkness...it's so amazing...if you understand the limitations and reasons for the Super Lume, I think it performs very well...

Thanks for the kind words, appreciated.

This was one of the longest turn times, only due to the fact I was gone for 10 days on business... and even then, total time was about 4 weeks, not bad from Australia to Canada and return... and considering the movement type and work done...

RG

Rob, you have done a wonderful, wonderful job. I can gaze at this watch for hours and hours.... (yes I have no life :lol: ) I can't express how close to the gen this super illume is in terms of workmanship. Furthermore, the glare of the super illume outshines the tritium! It is amazing indeed. Thanks once again! Kindly check your email Rob. Cheers. :thumbsupsmileyanim: