When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silix vintage subs

biffa

I got quite excited by these. However, upon coser inspection, I noticed the listed 38mm cases and unusual bezel. These appear to be case size and bezel from one of the older Milgauss models, just with an incorrect submariner face/hands slapped in I think? Can't say I've ever seen a sub like these new silix ones....

A few pics I found for reference

http://www.bjsonline.com/watches/gallery/i...s_6541_and_6543

Cheers

Edited by watchmad

Certainly a better bezel insert would help, and perhaps a larger crown- the current one is 6mm. But the nice thing about these vintage reps is that no one knows anything about them. You could take this watch and "age" it and probably never be called out. It's just an old sub you got from Gramps!

Yes, change the insert and it would look pretty good, I assume a standard sub insert would fit fine. And I must admit, I do like the red writing and also the markers on the 'ROLS170' model, makes for a distintive face. I guess if you didn't change the insert it would be even more distintive, but maybe a bit silly?! However, I'm not quite sure it's nice enough to make me buy this instead of the 5517 military sub on nato strap Silix has though! Wouldn't need to change the insert 'from the box' as it were on that too. Hmm...decisions!

Oh - something else popped into my mind - maybe from these we'll see a half decent rep of the Milgauss referred to above at some point too since they've got the basis?

Edited by watchmad

Here it is from Jay at Silix with only the leather strap added after I got it. The bezel and the rest are pretty good, all considered:

post-180-1190852126_thumb.jpg

Here is the gen 5510 from 1958, the rarest of all military subs:

post-180-1190851838_thumb.jpg

We are pretty close for a first attempt. There are obvious flaws (crown, etc.) but overall, I like it very much and Jay can source it in ETA. Just be very clear which bezel, movement, etc. that you want.

Carl

post-180-1190851776_thumb.jpg

Certainly a better bezel insert would help, and perhaps a larger crown- the current one is 6mm. But the nice thing about these vintage reps is that no one knows anything about them. You could take this watch and "age" it and probably never be called out. It's just an old sub you got from Gramps!

These new models also appear to be a different case, flat sides not curved like the first batch of Bond re-releases. I think the bezel is a step closer too, the insert is another story but easy to address.

Perhaps this is a version 2, I noticed none of those "re-release" models are on the website anymore :g:

I know what you mean, I picked this up with the intention of cannibalising it for another project. But like naming a chicken :animal_rooster: as if it were a pet, rather than the 'guest of honour' at Sunday lunch, she sat there in my watchbox, looking sad and forlorn. Like a sucker, I allowed myself to slowly get emotionally involved, and when the time came, I just couldn't bear to bring down the axe. A bit of work and a T19 on the way, and I will take her out for show now and again.