When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problems with my UPO

ed11

Hi all,

*Pics included now* - some observations and some queries on my very first rep!

1) The movements inside are mostly silver, instead of gold as shown in Trusty

2) The crown does not sit that "flush" with the watch (i.e. because the crown is ever so slightly domed)

3) The engraving of the 2824 is not the same as the one shown in Trusty's Also, it seems to be engraved 2842 instead! (have to validate and see again as the engraving is really, really small)

4) When I adjust the time, the second hand sometimes moves (ticks) a little on the spot

5) The second hand stopped on me once! And with a move of my hand it started moving again.

6) The omega logo is ever so slightly lower (just like the 42mm logo)

Am very weary of this purchase, please all, advise!

:wounded1:

Edited by ed11

Without pics its hard to comment. I'll wait until you post some.

Hi Andrew,

How about the following:

4) When I adjust the time, the second hand sometimes moves (ticks) a little on the spot

5) The second hand stopped on me once! And with a move of my hand it started moving again.

Also, i realised that sometimes, it goes faster (like now, it is 10 seconds faster) and sometimes slower (e.g. 5 secs behind)... do i have a faulty watch? *sighs*

any cause for concern?

Edited by ed11

I don't believe that Ruby has the true Ultimate Planet Ocean.

Josh and Andrew are the recommended suppliers for this.

She told me that hers is the UPO as well.

And i quote thru our emails

"yes, it is swiss eta 2824-2 automatic, super AR coating. i think you can see my movement picture and AR color picture on the web. it is the same as the other dealer who said it is UPO."

Anyways, i just want to ensure that i have a swiss eta movement - my intention of spending more on my first rep is to get a good 1, not a movement gaining 10+ secs now when i adjusted the time < 1/2 hr ago!

:angry:

She told me that hers is the UPO as well.

And i quote thru our emails

"yes, it is swiss eta 2824-2 automatic, super AR coating. i think you can see my movement picture and AR color picture on the web. it is the same as the other dealer who said it is UPO."

Anyways, i just want to ensure that i have a swiss eta movement - my intention of spending more on my first rep is to get a good 1, not a movement gaining 10+ secs now when i adjusted the time < 1/2 hr ago!

:angry:

It's gaining +10 in less than half an hour?? Send it back right now. Don't bother taking it into a jewellers to be regulated, that kind of gain, when taken over a 24 hour period is huge. It shouldn't gain +10 in a day, so it certainly should not be + 10 in 30 minutes...

Sorry to say it, but it sounds like you've been sent a lemon :(

Edited by TeeJay

As andreww said, pictures are critical. Especially of that movement.

Aside from the nitpicking, does it look like a kick-ass watch? B)

its does look and feel great, less the logo being slightly lower and the crown not flushed.

i wish i could give you guys some pics, prob is tt my cam is nt with me atm. damn.

It's gaining +10 in less than half an hour?? Send it back right now. Don't bother taking it into a jewellers to be regulated, that kind of gain, when taken over a 24 hour period is huge. It shouldn't gain +10 in a day, so it certainly should not be + 10 in 30 minutes...

Sorry to say it, but it sounds like you've been sent a lemon :(

now i realise when the error occurs, whenever i wear it and make adrupt movements it goes faster. Also, when i take it and swirl around (gently) it goes slightly faster afterwards (e.g. few secs gain)

i noticed once when it stopped moving all together.

this sucks guys. am depressed. :(

now i realise when the error occurs, whenever i wear it and make adrupt movements it goes faster. Also, when i take it and swirl around (gently) it goes slightly faster afterwards (e.g. few secs gain)

i noticed once when it stopped moving all together.

this sucks guys. am depressed. :(

That definitely doesn't sound good. Could be the hands slipping, could be cogs slipping, I really don't know enough about movements to diagnose the problem, but I can tell you that it shouldn't be behaving in the way it is... A jeweller could probably fix it (or install a new movement) but why pay them to do it, when the dealer sent you something that's clearly faulty? Ship it back to the dealer and ask for an exchange or refund. You'll likely have to pay the shipping to return it, but better the cost of that than a repair bill which could be at least twice the shipping costs... Best of luck getting the situation resolved :)

That definitely doesn't sound good. Could be the hands slipping, could be cogs slipping, I really don't know enough about movements to diagnose the problem, but I can tell you that it shouldn't be behaving in the way it is... A jeweller could probably fix it (or install a new movement) but why pay them to do it, when the dealer sent you something that's clearly faulty? Ship it back to the dealer and ask for an exchange or refund. You'll likely have to pay the shipping to return it, but better the cost of that than a repair bill which could be at least twice the shipping costs... Best of luck getting the situation resolved :)

thanks for the advice teejay. im really thankful for having found this forum with supportive and helpful folks :)

thanks for the advice teejay. im really thankful for having found this forum with supportive and helpful folks :)

No problem at all, I'm always happy to help. A few months back I ordered a Panerai 111h from my usual dealer, and it had a problem where the power reserve was non-existant, and despite keeping perfect time, it would stop after an hour or so. I emailed them and asked if I could exchange it for a different model, they agreed, so I shipped it back, and received the replacement watch (I'd chosen an Omega Aqua Terra for my dad) To be honest, it wasn't a flaw that the dealer could have seen while inspecting the watch so I didn't hold it against them, and, they resolved the issue in a single email, no quibbling or argument at all. I've since customized the Aqua Terra and gave it to my dad for his birthday a few weeks back, and actually ordered another 111h from the dealer. This one hasn't had any problem at all with the power reserve, and has hardly left my wrist (other than winding and photos) since it arrived :) I'm sure you'll be able to work something out with your dealer and come to a mutually satisfactory resolution :)

Guest carlsbadrolex

Well, I guess since you are the owner of the watch its important that YOU believe it is a UPO. But you asked for opinions, and I gave mine. I have a UPO that is definately a UPO, and the movement is different, the fonts on the dial are different, the markers are different, the engraving on the bracelet is different, and I dont see the serial number on the case... Besides all that, YEAH... Its definately a UPO!