When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Make A Photo Without Optic Zoom

MAHLER

I still have no idea what you did... Gamma this... Saturation that... Being a newb to Photoshop, all this stuff is like a foreign language to me. I played around with some of the stuff, but have no clue as to what to do.

Ok, first step was Noise Ninja. Get rid of the camera noise. Then, it's all a matter of balancing the colour and light.

You are balencing your white balence much better. Notice the 'pinkness' or warmth that the top photo has. This could be a camera setting or the 'color' of the light that is imparted to the overal picture. It overlays everything. But the second picture has this removed. Whites are much better whites and when that happens, everything is represented better.

Good job.

Usil

Yes, definitely getting better.

The red tone appears because you probably have set your camera to "sunlight" or "auto". Try setting it to "fluorescent light" or whatever option you have in your camera.

Photoshop can also help. Again the saturation have been reduced from both of these pics. Added black from selective color -> black and reduced red and magenta from white. Also sharpening the pics just a bit helps <Filter -> sharpen -> unsharp mask (0.2)> but it's a taste thing.

Darker:

84148-29747.jpg

Medium:

84148-29748.jpg

Artsy flashlight:

84148-29749.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

Also sharpening the pics just a bit helps <Filter -> sharpen -> unsharp mask (0.2)> but it's a taste thing.

Sharpening on a picture already plagued by noise enhances the noise as it picks out the edges of each grain. If you feel you need to use unsharp, you need to de-noise first.

Artsy flashlight:

You know how I feel about that filter ... :D

Great discussion. Shame it's not easily findable by title. :Jumpy:

Sharpening on a picture already plagued by noise enhances the noise as it picks out the edges of each grain. If you feel you need to use unsharp, you need to de-noise first.

True, raw "sharpen" increases the noise but using the unsharp mask (in lowest effective setting 0.2) works as a "soft" alternative... after setting the autolevels. It also helps to bring up the white text "edges" on black dial for example. It depends on the picture but it usually improves the visual quality although it lessens the resolution.

Another factor to "noisiness" is that people save over compressed picture format (i.e JPG) over and over again... For most images there is _always_ some degradation from a lossless format like PNG or BMP to JPG, no matter how high you set the quality. But in practice, at the highest setting the degradation is not visible, if you only do it once (and use highest (10) quality). JPEG is mostly a problem when you open and save, open and save, etc., repeatedly. Much bigger factor than increasing picture sharpness once.

Edited by By-Tor

I'll see your "finishing touch" and raise you a "noise ninja". ;)

A lot of time that a patch I doesn't... this plug-in has made me curious.... I believe really that I download the trial and patch it.... I.D.A. where are you? today we works...

Great discussion. Shame it's not easily findable by title. :Jumpy:

You suggest an addition to the title and I will satisfy you.....

Edited by MAHLER