When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Marina Militare Vintage Pam

collector21

I am seriously considering a Marina Militare Vintage PAM. The thing has one period-accurate drawback: the "crystal" is made of plastic. What do you think of this model? It is supposed to have a genuine Swiss movement, and the respectable dealer who would sell it to me insists that it is a gen-Swiss. Do any of you gentlemen own the watch in question? If so, how good are the movement and the lume? Is the crystal a delicate pain in the a--. Also, does the Rolex logo-etched crown on the non-CG model screw down, or does it merely click into place like any "normal" watch crown? Any comments on the Marina Militare will be most appreciated.

Edited by collector21

That's a beauty, CG--thanks for showing it to me! The model that I'm considering has applied lume, rather than the vintage sandwich dial. What movement does your watch hold?

I like my MM. I would like a better crystal and I will get one some day. However, these are vintage - thus you do not want a bright lume as that would not be vintage.

here is mine.... These photos are before I distressed the case.

54015-35763.jpg

54015-35764.jpg

54015-35765.jpg

I really like the vintage panerai that have come out and have two. I don't care for the russian movements and the plastic "crystal". I have three or four of these russian movements and they seem to hold up but probably not as good as the 6497s. My one vintage is pretty unpredictable, it will keep good time, then not. And you can't just slip in a 6497 because the hands and dial feet are different. And the idea of using plastic is silly, I already have serious scratches on both. And, it just bugs me having plastic on my watch. However, I can't find any vintages that at least use mineral.

I like my MM. I would like a better crystal and I will get one some day. However, these are vintage - thus you do not want a bright lume as that would not be vintage.

here is mine.... These photos are before I distressed the case.

That is a great piece. Do any of our dealers carry it now? I will order one tomorrow if they do.

Lefty

The MM has a plastic crystal becasue that's what the gen has (don't you know your Panerai history!!!). The fault with the rep crystal is that the gen is a solid 6mm thick whereas the rep is a double dome. Yes the Rolex winding crown does screw down and the Moljina movt is a reliable and accurate workhorse if serviced, and incidentally (how many times have I said this) is a copy of the old Rolex/Cortebert movt that powered these originally - so it's perfect for this rep. Had mine a while now and running fine.

The MM has a plastic crystal becasue that's what the gen has (don't you know your Panerai history!!!). The fault with the rep crystal is that the gen is a solid 6mm thick whereas the rep is a double dome. Yes the Rolex winding crown does screw down and the Moljina movt is a reliable and accurate workhorse if serviced, and incidentally (how many times have I said this) is a copy of the old Rolex/Cortebert movt that powered these originally - so it's perfect for this rep. Had mine a while now and running fine.

I guess if it was 6mm thick I wouldn't care if it was plastic. And, that is a good point, I shouldn't really judge the russian movements because I've never had a single one serviced, ever.

Say, Finepics-Master-of-the-Lume, when you say that the crystal in these watches is a "double dome", what does that mean? Are there two hesalite crystals back to back? Oh, and by the way, Paul carries a version with the Asian automatic (whatever that might be), which has a mineral crystal, while Angus has the two-and-a-half times more costly model with the plastic crystal in question, and a Swiss 6497, which he is convinced is actually Swiss. FYI, my British brother....

I won a vintage pam on the PT raffle and i love it it was my first pam and although the crystal is plastic as was the original i still try and where it regulary, yes it does pick up scratches but why have it and not where it. The movement keeps good time but bear in mind it is only 4 weeks old. It has a screw down rolxx crown and feels a good solidpeice.

Now waiting on a 217, pam fever

Andy :Jumpy:

Say, Finepics-Master-of-the-Lume, when you say that the crystal in these watches is a "double dome", what does that mean? Are there two hesalite crystals back to back? Oh, and by the way, Paul carries a version with the Asian automatic (whatever that might be), which has a mineral crystal, while Angus has the two-and-a-half times more costly model with the plastic crystal in question, and a Swiss 6497, which he is convinced is actually Swiss. FYI, my British brother....

Double dome means that it is like a normal crystal - domed on outside and domed on inside. The version that Paul has with auto is a fantasy watch anyway so would not touch it. The version Angus has is ETA powered (and suprisingly they are Swiss!!), but I would choose the Moljina powered version because it is almost exactly like the old Rolex movt - and that is what I have.

Strap size is 26mm and the length would be 130/85 as it is designed to go around a sleeve.

6mm or 6000mm.......won't stop it from scratching.....plastic originals scratched just the same....reason for the 6mm thickness was for pressure resistance...!

TTK is correct, but from what I understand, it is not too difficult to polish out scratches from a plastic crystal.

Finepics is correct about the movement. The original Panerai watches had Rolex (pocketwatch?) movements.

The Russians copied this movement way back when and that's what's used in the reps.

The Zigmeister said in his review and in his experience with them that they can be rusty but once serviced properly should be fine. Do a search in The ZigmeisterZone for the proper review and make up your own mind. :group:

About scratches. This are vintage watches - they should have scratches. If they don't they look silly.

I agree and can live with the scratches on the vintages, however, if you tap the plastic if feels like a toy. If they are going to do plastic, at least make it 3mm thick. My vintage feels like .5 mm thick, like I could break it by pushing on it.

Double dome means that it is like a normal crystal - domed on outside and domed on inside. The version that Paul has with auto is a fantasy watch anyway so would not touch it. The version Angus has is ETA powered (and suprisingly they are Swiss!!), but I would choose the Moljina powered version because it is almost exactly like the old Rolex movt - and that is what I have.

Strap size is 26mm and the length would be 130/85 as it is designed to go around a sleeve.

Much appreciated information, Finepics--thank you!