When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some help regarding the ever oh' so long question

Centurion

Got a task from a friend of mine who was wondering wheter these watches were authentic or not. I am not a Breitling expert at all, so could any of you guys please help me?

I wouldn't buy that one. Too many South Americans putting vintage dials on eta movements and stuffing them into asian cases (I have an asian blackbird rep and have considered doing this myself)

The quartz is a real model that has never been repped afaik. I wouldn't pay $400 for it.

Breitling put out a lot of junk in the '70s and '80s

I wouldn't buy that one. Too many South Americans putting vintage dials on eta movements and stuffing them into asian cases (I have an asian blackbird rep and have considered doing this myself)

Good point. Looks gen to me but the pics are so bad that its hard to make a positive conclusion. I cant even tell if the subdials have hands on them.

They both look Gen to me. Used to have a similar auto.

That auto btw, is probably in need of expensive service by now if the owner is getting rid of it. It's obviously been someone's "go to" watch of choice for a LONG time. Notice how nasty the band and the back of the case/pushers/crown are. This watch was loved, hopefully not to death. But, experience says, if they are too lazy to properly clean it to present it for sale, they aren't likely to have ever sent it in for service in the last 10-15 years like they should have.

Well, I definitely would like to see a pic of your Asian Blackbird then..............

Edited by Rolexman

Well, I definitely would like to see a pic of your Asian Blackbird then..............

Mines not perfect (i.e. the caseback engraving - but people don't check "vintage" Breitlings with the same scrutiny as current models)

BUT - it is about 38-39mm

it does have the correct 20 mm lugs

it does have the "bowl" shaped screw in caseback

it is the correct "cigar" shape

profile looks right on, pushers look to be in the right place

MLNA0111.jpg

MLNA0112.jpg

MLNA0113.jpg

Mlna0114.jpg

MLNA0115.jpg

MLNA0116.jpg

MLNA0117.jpg

MLNA0119.jpg

It probably is gen. But if someone posted pics of a later model of that quality (i.e. fuzzy pics, no paperwork, serial not visible) it would be shot down in a sec. I'm just saying from those pics, there's no way to ascertain that the watch is actually genuine (you can't even tell if the subdials have hands) People just assume that since there's no known rep that it's gen, but this stuff does get repped outside of Asia.

I blew up the pic and cleaned it 'til I could see the model number - B13048 - which is correct for this watch, so it's probably real.