When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR coating-please find the right color

k2222

Dear All,

it is possible to make genuine, double or single coating for Panerai, with yellow??? or maybe sephia tint, i'am not into Panerai watches but i can make any color of tint, and level of antyreflective You like. The problem is that i don't have any samples of this color, i'am not even sure if this sephia tint is correct, so if You like this idea post Your opinions here and pics of gen. Panerai crystals. This is not sign up for Panerai run thats just an idea. Please tell me what You think about it. Thank You Jakub

Pics found on a net

post-2322-1191270925_thumb.jpg

post-2322-1191270986_thumb.jpg

post-2322-1191271000_thumb.jpg

The problem is that panerai is very inconsistent about AR coating - some are blue, some are light yellow, some are green (seriously). I say stick with the blue type tint, no one will really notice or care, and the blue has the advantage of making the crystal look more like sapphire.

J, maybe your guys could provide a sample set showing the range/or a selection of colours available?

As subzero said above, incostintency across different Panerai models is the problem, some almost colourless AR, some bold blue/purple, some yellowish etc.

Personally, I like a nice subtle bright blue tint, suits almost all types, from domed Fiddy-like crystals to 44mm Luminors. Very much like your first run.

p.s. package on it's way ;)

post-115-1191277425_thumb.pngpost-115-1191277435_thumb.jpg

I just wish to share my experience as a devoted PAM fan.

In a recent past I got two crystals single-side AR coated, and my conclusion was:

Since now I'll go for double-side AR coating only.

Yes, even if it is inaccurate on PAMs.

The difference in effect between single-side and double-side AR coat is overwhelming. With single-side AR, forget to see the incredible apparent missing the crystal that we can see on double-side AR pics. Just, you get single reflections instead of double reflections. To me, that completely frustrates any good of (and need for) AR.

The only real benefit from single-side AR is that it cuts out reflections from the dial -- i.e., from date and cyclops.

BTW, it's months now that I am hunting for any official reference about the genuine AR coat on PAM being on the inside only, and I never found any single one. I own all official Panerai catalogues since 2002, and they always spell 'Anti-reflective coating' only. All pictures of gens on the net look as they are double-sided AR coated.

I am beginning to believe that this assumed thing of PAM single-side AR is just an urban legend.

Anyone got any evidence?

I just wish to share my experience as a complete PAM fan.

In a recent past I got two crystals single-side AR coated, and my conclusion was:

The difference in effect between single-side and double-side AR coat is overwhelming. With single-side AR, forget to see the incredible apparent missing the crystal that we can see on double-side AR pics. Just, you get single reflections instead of double reflections. To me, that completely frustrates any good of (and need for) AR.

The only real benefit from single-side AR is that it cuts out reflections from the dial -- i.e., from date and cyclops.

BTW, it's months now that I am hunting for any official reference about the genuine AR coat on PAM being on the inside only, and I never found any single one. I own all official Panerai catalogues since 2002, and they always spell 'Anti-reflective coating" only. All pictures of gens on the net look as they are double-sided AR coated.

I am beginning to believe that this assumed thing of PAM single-side AR is just an urban legend.

Anyone got any evidence?

I do agree to with SSS. Since I saw the double AR on the SFSO and CD I think it's completely wrong just to have a single sided AR. And I could almost put my money that gen PAMs have DOUBLE AR.

But.... I'm just an ignorant who has only help gens but never worn one, hence I couldn't tell for sure.

main-14.php.jpg
Hmm, I can't really make out a colour in this underexposed shot. Any clues? The pic poseted earlier in the thread of the 192 shows almost colourless tint AR. Reason I'm curious is that my 192 is one I definitely want AR coating on. I'm thinking accurate or not blue would be nice to match the blue hands. Anyone also know what colour the gen 187 has? Purple-blue?

Maybe for simplicity's sake, there just needs to be two colours available here - sepia/gold for vintage/retro/1950-based models, and blue for Luminors/Subs.

Whatever, this single vs. double AR argument definitely needs more opinions before proceeding with a PAM AR run though, as I can see ssurfer's point.

I do agree to with SSS. Since I saw the double AR on the SFSO and CD I think it's completely wrong just to have a single sided AR. And I could almost put my money that gen PAMs have DOUBLE AR.

I'll take that bet, and take your money. Go to a Panerai boutique sometime and see for yourself. Single AR on all PAMs I've seen with AR. Flav's 111I - single AR. It's just the PAM way (unfortunately).

Also, I agree with the other poster on the inconsistency of hue on PAMs... There could be a number of reasons for this, so it's not really worth speculating. But, as I've always said, and will continue to say... It's not the precise hue of the AR that matters. It's the quality of the coating and the degree to which it does what it's supposed to do.... inhibit reflections! A blue tinted crystal that doesn't reduce reflections like the gen watch isn't interesting to me. A true genuine AR coating will make your crystal disappear, and yes, in some lighting conditions show a slight tint.

So please be wary of companies who are providing specific colors for AR. The color of AR is merely a result of a chemical reaction between the coating itself and the substrate to which it is applied - and should not be due to some sort of artificial dye injected by the coater. Genuine watches with AR do not have dyes!!!

I'll take that bet, and take your money. Go to a Panerai boutique sometime and see for yourself. Single AR on all PAMs I've seen with AR. Flav's 111I - single AR. It's just the PAM way (unfortunately).

Also, I agree with the other poster on the inconsistency of hue on PAMs... There could be a number of reasons for this, so it's not really worth speculating. But, as I've always said, and will continue to say... It's not the precise hue of the AR that matters. It's the quality of the coating and the degree to which it does what it's supposed to do.... inhibit reflections! A blue tinted crystal that doesn't reduce reflections like the gen watch isn't interesting to me. A true genuine AR coating will make your crystal disappear, and yes, in some lighting conditions show a slight tint.

So please be wary of companies who are providing specific colors for AR. The color of AR is merely a result of a chemical reaction between the coating itself and the substrate to which it is applied - and should not be due to some sort of artificial dye injected by the coater. Genuine watches with AR do not have dyes!!!

totally agree, fan of the correct AR on each watch rather than a bling bling look for a pam,

after all anyone who has no knowledge on replicas/watches will be amazed just by the word panerai on your dial, even if you AR is purple with little elephants :lol:

the trained eye will catch the fake AR within 5 seconds... and everyone who knows and will try to take a closer look will find out its a rep,

its the degree of accuracy to the gen that matters (personal opinion)

I just wish to share my experience as a devoted PAM fan.

BTW, it's months now that I am hunting for any official reference about the genuine AR coat on PAM being on the inside only, and I never found any single one. I own all official Panerai catalogues since 2002, and they always spell 'Anti-reflective coating' only. All pictures of gens on the net look as they are double-sided AR coated.

Anyone got any evidence?

SS,

I have one gen PAM with single sided AR coating and multiple gens (from other manufacturers) with double AR coatings. I also live near a large Panerai authorized dealer. As far as I can see, the AR on Panerais is either single sided or none at all, depending on model. I suggest you visit an authorized dealer to confirm this, if you live near one or happen to be in a city with one while on vacation.

I agree that the quality of AR on watches can vary tremendously. For example, I'm not even sure that the AR on the asian Chopard GTXL's is even AR at all. And the double AR on the BCE's is not of high quality- whereas the AR on the Cousteau Diver is very nice.

Personally, the idea of a quality double AR coating on a fiddy crystal (davidsen's) is tantalizing to me, regardless of it's fidelity to the original. I know I would be in a small minority having that perspective, but I am as much about the quality of the appearance of the watch itself, as I am in maintaining strict similarity to the 'original'.

chieftang & lysys -

thanks for your insights about gen PAM AR coat!

Anyway, I am still going to go for 2-side AR coating only. As I said, I prefer perfect readability rather than perfect accuracy. That someone might spot my watch as a rep is no big issue to me.

I also think that if someone is in knowledge that PAMs are 1-side AR coated, then he will also be able to spot a rep independently from any AR...

I agree that the quality of AR on watches can vary tremendously. For example, I'm not even sure that the AR on the asian Chopard GTXL's is even AR at all. And the double AR on the BCE's is not of high quality- whereas the AR on the Cousteau Diver is very nice.

Personally, the idea of a quality double AR coating on a fiddy crystal (davidsen's) is tantalizing to me, regardless of it's fidelity to the original. I know I would be in a small minority having that perspective, but I am as much about the quality of the appearance of the watch itself, as I am in maintaining strict similarity to the 'original'.

I have done double AR on a few Fiddy crystals, and the results were very good.... Double AR is fantastic on PAMs, accurate or not.