When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Amusing Encounter

LastDiplomat

I spotted a Yacht-Master at a flea market last week. I don't know enough about Rollies to be sure, but I'm fairly certain it was a rep and likely an Asian one. The same dealer had two black Subs and a few vintage watches which were likely genuine (they appeared to be from the '50s or '60s, mostly brands I'd never heard of). He wasn't only selling watches, but had a hodge-podge of items. Almost like a curiosity shop. Old coins, old photos, old books, etc.

When I asked the dealer how much the Yacht-Master was (it was the blue dial model), he told me $60. I must have looked surprised (this was a flea market after all and the watch was clearly well used) and he told me, "It's an antique." Which I've come to learn is flea market speak for "overpriced." I didn't have the nerve to ask, "A fake antique?" But what are the tell-tale signs of a fake Yacht-Master? The crown guards, perhaps? I'd like to double-check and know that I'm not passing up the real thing or an ETA for $60, but I'd also like to bone up on my replica-spotting skills.

Edited by deaconx

Ohhhhh..dunno about that KB! You have seen shots of some of the quality Rx I have on my $10 rack at my flea market stall.... and a lot are still there! :p

I actually had a guy pick up a quartz Rx which I had on the $7 rack, last weekend, and ask me if it was "real"

As if anyone would be selling a gen for $7.00 ( when they were a watch repairer, and purportedly knew something about watches!)

My answer was "Yep, straight from Rx China! :lol: "

Offshore

its a pretty rare occurance that a flee market guy is gunna screw up and sell a gen rolex for $60. Im sure he inspected it pretty closely before he put the price tag on it. You;d prob be better off buying an asian noob Yachty for $100 new from a collector here on the forum

Lonnie