When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

produce my own pilot watch - need your opinions

t

i am planing to build my own pilot watch. I have the first offer from factory and it is a BIG MONEY projekt. It will be a limited edition of 200-300 pieces first...

i need you opinions. I am not sure about the case and the dial + hands

watch will be with:

sapphire double side AR coating

mineral glass caseback

black enamel dial

superluminova

150 pieces with this movement ETA Unitas 6497-1 (other 50 with higher decorated or hand made movements):

storeartikel080.jpg

factory told me best is to build it in 46mm diameter and 24mm lugs size. But i am thinking about 44mm and 22mm lugs size. 46mm is way to big and 44mm could use from all people... and 44mm is big enough for all? 24mm lugs size is nice for thicker 24mm straps. But pilot watches have all 46-47mm diameter and only 22mm lugs size?

thickness should be 12-13mm. 14-15mm is to big for this movement... you will see a big place on thru caseback (who saw the new thick Steinh*rt case knows what i mean)

also thinking about the dial design. Should i use IWC 5002 design (like Steinh*rt do) or IWC 5004 design?

hands in black or blue?

with my logo and name on dial... or a dial without branding like 30

I have one 47mm 'Big Pilot' style watch and I agree that it's too big to wear comfortably so the smaller size would probably be more usable. I also think that an unbranded dial would be preferable and I'd prefer the 5004 style. I'm looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.

I have one 47mm 'Big Pilot' style watch and I agree that it's too big to wear comfortably so the smaller size would probably be more usable. I also think that an unbranded dial would be preferable and I'd prefer the 5004 style. I'm looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.

I'd like a 5002 design. Being able to fit a 24 mm strap would be great and would distinguish it somewhat from all the other pilots out there.

-bosk

i am planing to build my own pilot watch. I have the first offer from factory and it is a BIG MONEY projekt. It will be a limited edition of 200-300 pieces first...

i need you opinions. I am not sure about the case and the dial + hands

watch will be with:

sapphire double side AR coating

mineral glass caseback

black enamel dial

superluminova

150 pieces with this movement ETA Unitas 6497-1 (other 50 with higher decorated or hand made movements):

storeartikel080.jpg

factory told me best is to build it in 46mm diameter and 24mm lugs size. But i am thinking about 44mm and 22mm lugs size. 46mm is way to big and 44mm could use from all people... and 44mm is big enough for all? 24mm lugs size is nice for thicker 24mm straps. But pilot watches have all 46-47mm diameter and only 22mm lugs size?

thickness should be 12-13mm. 14-15mm is to big for this movement... you will see a big place on thru caseback (who saw the new thick Steinh*rt case knows what i mean)

also thinking about the dial design. Should i use IWC 5002 design (like Steinh*rt do) or IWC 5004 design?

hands in black or blue?

with my logo and name on dial... or a dial without branding like 30

my biggest problem is the lug size

all pilot watches (46-47mm) use 22mm lugs... but i am interested in 24mm lugs? 24/22mm straps are very nice...

but it is good for a pilot watch? Will a 44-45mm pilot watch looks good with 24mm lugs? Maybe it is to big and 22mm lugs look better?

Will a 44-45mm pilot watch looks good with 24mm lugs? Maybe it is to big and 22mm lugs look better?

IMO, but i am perhaps not completly partial cause i've just ordered a Steinhart, is that 22mm is part of the pilot watch.

If you go for a 44mm case and a 24mm lug, you don't have, always IMO, the pilot look but the PAM look or Omega Railmaster look.

For me the noticeable difference between case and strap is important.

All my best for your project tourby ;)

Is there any way to test this out and see what a 44mm with 24 mm lugs would look like? It is an interesting idea but until it's actually in your hands,,,it might be hard to know. Another really important variable is the height. I had the first run of the Azimuth 47 mm and also the older 47 mm steinhart pilot and both were wide but not much height, maybe 10 at most so even if it was a big watch it was slim. A thicker 44mm (say 12mm in height) with 24mm lugs might actually look very unique but I would want to test it out with a prototype first. I agree with Golfman, it might start looking like a panerai and loose the classic pilots look. On the other hand, it could look like a totally unique pilot watch which others might start to copy. Also, as far as the height goes, the curvature of the lugs can influence what it looks like,,,I've seen some really thick watches but the lugs put the strap up high so it didn't look thick.

Have you every seen watches with two sets of lug holes drilled, so you could use either a 22mm or a 24? The lugs curve out a little so the 24mm fits at the very end while the 22mm is closer to the case. I think Hamilton or swiss army uses this,,seems like an interesting idea, but never got to personally try it out. Good luck on the project,,,can't wait to see what you come up with.

Please show pics as it comes together. I actually am in favor of the 46mm size with the same size lugs as the big pilot. You are then offering an alternative to the Big Pilot which sells for $10,000. The 42 and 44mm IWC's pilots sell for $3-5k and I suspect your watch will be high quality but you will be looking for $1,500 or more for a Unitas based watch. At 1/3rd to 1/2 the price of a known branded gen that is a tough sale. At 20% or less I would guess you will be more successful. My 2 cents. :)

Is there any way to test this out and see what a 44mm with 24 mm lugs would look like?

One would hope that our Photoshop gurus, could "build" this in an instant! I'm sure our Chinese cousins, have the software and ability to do this very thing. (cept they have a spelling prob!)

Tourby, I for one would have a huge interest!

Whilst what you are considering, may be a "plain dial"... ie , unbranded, this concept has much merit, IMHO.

Maybe also consider the Limited Edition, 1/250....249/250, concept. Yeh it requires individuallity..... and that's exactly what this may become! Engrave a piece no. on each unit!

Oh, what justice here.... the replica gurus strike back.... better than the gen :p

Offshore

ok update

44- 45mm and 22mm lugs... i think this is the best version. But it is not the last word... all is possible.

limited edition 001/200... 199/200... first 50pieces will be with special movements (20 swan neck, 20 skleton, 10 hand engraved)... other 150pieces with ETA Unitas 6497-1 decorated.

thickness should be 13mm... this is thick enough... 14-15mm thickness is to much for this movement and a big hole inside of case... on thru caseback looks bad.

the engraving of 001/200... 199/200... should be on caseback or on side of case? Or on lugs?

any more opinions please...

IMO

limited edition

unbranded dial 5004

22mm lugs

blue hands

strap on deployment

good choice

but no blue hands... i prefer black hands. Blue hands look nice on classic watches... but not blue + luminova

I once had a similar project and it was a huge success until the watches did not turn out as expested and shipping was lacking ;)

This must be a new definition of the word success. :D

44mm with 22mm straps would be my recommendation. Either unbranded or simple branded dial.

This must be a new definition of the word success. :D

44mm with 22mm straps would be my recommendation. Either unbranded or simple branded dial.

thank you Pug

your help is welcome ;)

i am planing 44-46mm... so go for 45mm?... and yes 22mm lugs

i am planing 44-46mm... so go for 45mm?... and yes 22mm lugs

I think 45mm would be excellent. 22mm is really necessary as most pilot straps will be 21mm/22mm, if memory serves me. :D

I'm very interested in this project. Good luck!

ps. put me down for No 23. :Jumpy:

I think 45mm would be excellent. 22mm is really necessary as most pilot straps will be 21mm/22mm, if memory serves me. :D

I'm very interested in this project. Good luck!

ps. put me down for No 23. :Jumpy:

number 23?

Beckham or Air Jordan :D