When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building The Perfect Sub

Hello everyone,

I am on the quest for the perfect Sub. For that purpose I had acquire a Genuine Dial thanks to Chris, I am in the process of buying Genuine Crown and Tube.

Now my question is. Does a Genuine movement will fit a 1680 MBW?

Can someone tell me where to get the movement; I looked on eBay almost everyday for the past two or three week. I found some, but the sellers did not look reliable to me.

Thanks

Saabin fitted a genuine movement into his MBW DRSD. That's probably easier fit due to thicker case? Strange that gen movement doesn't fit into 1680 with the exact 1:1 case and everything. :blink:

My dear By-Tor,

In my earlier life as a machinist, I learned to read engineering specifications and I acquired a certain feel for how bits and pieces might be persuaded to fit together.

Please bear in mind that not is all as it may appear: although a case may look "1:1" on the outside, to use the current jargon, it may very well be far from accurate on the inside.

It is so with many things in life, but I digress.

I believe the problem may lie with the relief given to the underside of the rehaut in the 1680 case. I have heard rumors elsewhere that one may simply machine away the underside of the rehaut ledge to create the correct clearances.

But that may just be the gin and tonic talking. Bottoms up!

:winkiss:

cib, a possibility may be Tudor Sub. The case as I understand it, is the same used on the 1680 with the exception being the serial numbers & case back printing. I suspect one can find a very nice vintage Tudor in minty condition for less than the price of the gen 1680 case.

I found such a piece with an OEM trip lock crown/tube for a reasonable price. I hope I don't decide to mess with but it is sure tempting. :) With your newly acquired 1680 dial, a Tudor would be one killer piece and would be 100% Rollie.

Jet

Please bear in mind that not is all as it may appear: although a case may look "1:1" on the outside, to use the current jargon, it may very well be far from accurate on the inside.

Indeed. The case may hold true proportions on the exterior, but the manufacturer is going to do everything they can to make fitting an ETA 2836 inside as easy as possible for 'mass' production pieces.

So we can call it a Rollie-Tudor, I found a 1680 caseback on ebay I am pretty sure that it will fit the tudor case.

Actually I was thinking on buying a tudor, I do not really want to spend 5k in a 1680, I'd rather take a vacation with my family.

Somebody is selling this on ebay, I believe is a mini sub not sure, http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Tudor-Prince-Sub...1QQcmdZViewItem

Besides I am not Colleting watches I just want to have a rolex that looks very good.

Close as can be to Gen.

Regardss

Edited by cib0rgman

cib, a possibility may be Tudor Sub. The case as I understand it, is the same used on the 1680 with the exception being the serial numbers & case back printing. I suspect one can find a very nice vintage Tudor in minty condition for less than the price of the gen 1680 case.

I found such a piece with an OEM trip lock crown/tube for a reasonable price. I hope I don't decide to mess with but it is sure tempting. :) With your newly acquired 1680 dial, a Tudor would be one killer piece and would be 100% Rollie.

Jet

Sorry Jet,

the Tudor Sub don't have the same dimensions....

I have a Tudor Sub,Glass dimension is a little bit smaller than on a Rolex Sub.

Also the Bezel has a smaller diameter.Gen Submariner Inserts doesn`t fit a Tudor...

So a Tudorcase is not the right choice for it.

Rg Tribal