When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch winders on the bay

UB7

My old watch winder just broke down so I ran a search on ebay and there seems to be a bunch of great options...I just dont understand how they are so cheap? This 8 winder + 4 holder which normally retails for close to 900$ has buy-it-now for 70 bucks - i dont understand? Are they cheap asian knockoff watch winders or are they the same quality products that retail for close to a grand? Would love to hear from some people who have bought these winders on ebay, any input would be greatly appreciated! I got this one for 50 bucks, I dont think it gets any better than that...

ww8_4_walnut-a.jpg

That stinks lanakai, indeed its a great price im sure you can find another seller than will ship to you...Just wondering how genuine these are? Ive seen them retailing for 800 bucks, are these winders knockoffs?

My old watch winder just broke down so I ran a search on ebay and there seems to be a bunch of great options...I just dont understand how they are so cheap? This 8 winder + 4 holder which normally retails for close to 900$ has buy-it-now for 70 bucks - i dont understand? Are they cheap asian knockoff watch winders or are they the same quality products that retail for close to a grand? Would love to hear from some people who have bought these winders on ebay, any input would be greatly appreciated! I got this one for 50 bucks, I dont think it gets any better than that...

ww8_4_walnut-a.jpg

- I've bought a lot of these winders. one or two didn't work at all and had to be exchanged.

The case is pretty nice ; the platform with the moving discs is cheap but functional ; most importantly the motors do work and at 5 months, all the ones that worked at the beginning, still work, but not in first rate style. They're noisy and often get hung up by the position the case is in requiring one to move it.

Another problem is the rotation of the disc brings the watch into contact with the plexiglass window scratching the plexi and depositing a white powder on the casing or crystal of the offending watch. In general, with a lot of care, the whole thing can be made functional and worth the price - but just barely in my opinion.

If the retail winders weren't so over priced, these wouldn't hold up.

Interesting info mendota, thanks a bunch...I dont like the fact that the watches will rub against the plexi but I guess you can just leave the top open if thats the case...As long as it works for 6months to a year ill get my 50 bucks worth :D

I don't understand why a winder would cost more than a quality automatic watch - paying over $300 (or even 900!) for a winder doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just practical though, I don't see why you should spend so much money on a box for your watches, even if it does wind. Watches were made to be enjoyed on the wrist, and when not on the wrist any cheap winder/box should do.

Just my 0.02, I'd rather have a few more reps, or a gen, for the price of a fancy winder.

its just a box with some $2 electric motors.. there isnt much to them really.. i dont see why one should cost more than $100. If i was better at wood working i would make one myself.

Shipping to Canada costs more than the winder itself. $65 for shipping on a $49 item LOL