When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

World Series Panerai?

Victoria

WOW! I just saw this on Risti, and was blown away. How come we in South Florida didn't know about this, or was it just me -- speaking to my Florida neighbours? ;)

paneraimarlinsgl8.jpg

A special 2003 World Series Panerai watch with "Teal" markers (the Florida Marlins' predominant uniform colour): a PAM 206 - G Series. One of only 50 made!

The post on the forum mentioned that Josh Beckett, our "old" ace who basically closed down the Yankees TWICE on that memorable World Series run, and who now is a Boston Red Sox pitcher, was seen wearing it post-game today.

(Is this possible? I presume he wasn't pitching because you're not supposed to wear ANYTHING which might distract the batter's attention)

Here is Josh wearing it on Leno:

joshpamlenotm6.jpg

Apparently, Phillipe Bonay and Angelo Bonati created this special Florida Marlins Panerai edition, basically a revamped PAM 104.

I can't believe one of our players is apparently selling it, can it be? I guess even ballplayers fall on hard times...

Anyway, thought I'd share this cool commemorative PAM with RWG. And may I just say...GO RED SOX NATION!!

If I'd had to venture a guess, the organization kept some for themselves and this is a result of having some "overstock", if you can call it that. Even though a team has 40 on its' roster, 25 (being the active players) really only deserve the watch, being that they played in the World Series themselves, the managers, and of course, the GM himself.

Knowing them and their budget, heck, maybe they decided to unload some PAMs to bring in a player.

And speaking of micro-sized Special Editions, coming in an even smaller production run was the PAM 247 and 248:

"For the first twenty years of activity, 1986-2006, of Francesco Ferretti, the famous collector and authorized dealer in Montecatini Terme (Tuscany), the Officine Panerai of Milan have realized two limited serials, Limited Edition 2006, of 20 units each, based on the Radiomir (Base), Pam 210 and on the Luminor Marina, Pam 111, both based from the historic collection, as follows:

- Pam 247, Radiomir (Base), OP 6674 45mm polished steel case, hand-wound movement OP X cal., 300 m and black -sandwich- dial.

Leather strap, ardillon buckle and covered case-back, alls pesonalized with the written 1986-2006 and the logo of Ferretti (a pyramid) engraved."

1675Ferrettidial.jpg

1675Ferrettiback.jpg

1675Ferrettifibbie.jpg

1675FerrettibackR.jpg

Even the strap and buckle is marked as well:

1675CintFFb.jpg

Thanks for the heads up and the pics, Victoria!

I wonder why on the 'risti reference page site they state the 206 as F-series only... :g:

Curiuosly, the 206 is not even mentioned on my official Special Editions Panerai catalogue.

They have come up for sale before. I have seen at least two others for sale over the last year. I am friendly with a couple of sports team owners in the Tri State area and from what I know when it comes to rings and watches they make many extras. All players, administrative folks, management, owners and relatives are often offered them. Compared to the cost of a championship ring these watches are a rounding error.

Have to admit, not my cup of tea... I don't like the sub-dial distinction for the second sweep, nor that it has a date window... Other than that, nice watch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

For the memoribilia aspect, I think it's worth 10K. Otherwise, yes, agreed not worth it.

You know...tastes are funny.

I always disliked PAMs with date-wheels.

(Have only the busted PAM 199 with one, other than the PAM Lion Purdey and 076, which aren't "seen" since they are covered)

I always disliked PAMs with blue-dials. Not sure why. Maybe I thought them too masculine.

I always disliked PAMs with GMT functions.

More and more I prefer base PAMs without second hands.

And I always disliked PAMs which looked "busy" because of all these details.

...so guess which Panerai watch has TOTALLY captivated me since I saw it on a Risti member?

pam228rk7.jpg

:wub: :wub:

If anyone knows where I can find a good rep of the limited Firenze edition, PAM 228, please post it. I'm in love. I even have the Tootall Moroccan Sunset strap already!!

EDIT: Hang on guys. Let me post this last bit on a separate thread. :)

I have actually seen one and handled one in person, and it did not belong to a sports guy (he's a dentist). It's a very standard 104 style auto, with a pretty cool engraving on the back. I can't remember how many were made -- the number was engraved on the back -- but I think it was at least 50. There was a story of how he came by it, but I can't remember all the details. He got it from the original run, not as a resale. I think he's a pretty well-respected collector, he also had a 195 with his name on it, so I think he was contacted about it.

For the memoribilia aspect, I think it's worth 10K. Otherwise, yes, agreed not worth it.

You know...tastes are funny.

I always disliked PAMs with date-wheels.

(Have only the busted PAM 199 with one, other than the PAM Lion Purdey and 076, which aren't "seen" since they are covered)

I always disliked PAMs with blue-dials. Not sure why. Maybe I thought them too masculine.

I always disliked PAMs with GMT functions.

More and more I prefer base PAMs without second hands.

And I always disliked PAMs which looked "busy" because of all these details.

...so guess which Panerai watch has TOTALLY captivated me since I saw it on a Risti member?

pam228rk7.jpg

:wub: :wub:

If anyone knows where I can find a good rep of the limited Firenze edition, PAM 228, please post it. I'm in love. I even have the Tootall Moroccan Sunset strap already!!

EDIT: Hang on guys. Let me post this last bit on a separate thread. :)

I know what you mean there, and quite agree about those features you don't normally like, but, I also have to agree and say that that is a really nice watch :thumbsupsmileyanim: Would I wear one myself? Probably not at the moment, but maybe in 10-20 years when I'm living in Marseille writing my memoirs :D

I don't like the sub-dial distinction for the second sweep

Curiously enough, the second subdial was chosen by OP as it was adding to fast readability of the watch.

With a second subdial you always know where the second hand approximately is, i.e. where to look for it.

On the contrary, a central second hand might be momentarily superimposed to the minute hand or the marks, and you might loose precious seconds before locating it and reading it.

One can feel the PAM look ugly, childish, or even ridicolous, but all details have a reason to be that way.

Until the Richemont-Vendome era, at least. :angry:

Curiously enough, the second subdial was chosen by OP as it was adding to fast readability of the watch.

With a second subdial you always know where the second hand approximately is, i.e. where to look for it.

On the contrary, a central second hand might be momentarily superimposed to the minute hand or the marks, and you might loose precious seconds before locating it and reading it.

One can feel the PAM look ugly, childish, or even ridicolous, but all details have a reason to be that way.

Until the Richemont-Vendome era, at least. :angry:

Oh I don't doubt it aids the visibility, as it gives the eye something to 'latch onto' rather than just 'looking for the sweeping hand', I just feel that the distinction of the extra dial creates an effect more like on a chronograph, which personally, I find cluttering. As for the date feature, while I admit they are useful, and, having been so used to having one on my watches, I caught myself looking to check the date on my 111h a few times, but, from a purely lazy point of view, I don't like having to manually re-set the date each month (when the watch is worn constantly) and, from an aesthetic point of view, find that the date window itself can 'disrupt' the dial, as it makes it asymetrical (something I have a borderling OCD issue with) It's a bit like the date window on the HBBs: Stuck in a place that looks like a design 'afterthought' rather than an intentional placement. Of course, as mentioned above, for all those things I would normally dislike on a watch, the one V showed, I think looks absolutely fantastic. The exception that proves the rule, one might say :)