When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Maurice Lacroix watch advice

Devedander

So a friend/coworker of mine is in a money pinch and he is trying to pawn off stuff to get some quick $$$

He has a watch that he wants to unload, not really my thing but if he is offering a good deal I wouldn't be against putting some money into it to help him out as long as I am coming up too.

Story is he found this watch in Tahoe a few years ago in a lake... obviously it's suffered some wear and tear (partly from being in the lake) but other than water damage to the strap looks ok. He had it serviced and it seems to run pretty well (only saw it for a few minutes).

It's got nice blue hands and the date snaps exactly at 12 and the day function is in German.

What would be a reasonable price to offer in the situation (ie he needs cash and understands he needs to take a hit on it's value, essentially he is looking at me like a pawnshop) assuming I get it verified it's all original parts?

Thanks for any advice!

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0487.jpg

DSCN0488.jpg

DSCN0489.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0491.jpg

Edited by Devedander

What you have is an earlier generation of the Pontos Day Date. I wou say it's around 20 years old and a nice refinishing would do it some good. What you won't have, however, is it fetching high dollars.

There is a similar one selling on chrono24:

http://www.chrono24.com/web/es/hersteller/...lastshowpage=10

but their's is SS and refinished to look like new.

I'd say sell for $400-$500 and it would sell quick.

Sorry to say so but with the wear on the case and probable waterdamage i'd say 200-250 USD max. It will need some attention before a dealer can sell it again, needs a new strap... and unfortuantely MLC devaluates fast. New these watches sell for around 500 euro (= 650 USD).

Frankly, with the dial staining, which indicates some water ingress, I would think that to be optimistic.

If it was on fleabay, I would think it would struggle to go over $200, but that is just my opinion, and I am a noted tight a*se!

Damn, I should've posted yesterday, because that was my exact estimate -- pawning this will fetch you or your buddy about U$200, tops.

The marque is an excellent one, but they're looking at condition, and frankly, it's a 3 out of 10.

Servicing and polishing it will make it sell faster. Whether you would get enough to cover those costs depends on the demand.

It would be worth about 40% of retail, $250, if it had a new OEM strap. I think offering him $200 is doing him a huge favor. If you don't want it, and he's willing to sell as is for $175, I'm in.