When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First post--new watch!

davidbir

Hi people, After a year of lurking on this forum I finally purchased a watch from one of the people mentioned here--Ruby. I am thrilled! I ordered a Navitimer TT with bracelet and Ruby told me that the factory was out of stock of bracelets, would a leather strap do? Since I had been unable to decide between a strap and a bracelet this made the decision for me. After paying by paypal the watch turned up, without complication, and I am very happy with it. I have a couple of questions for the experts: Are the real Breitling straps worth getting-this strap seems ok but I have nothing to compare it to. Also, I have heard of a watchmaker in Canada who will service these watches-I may have seen him mentioned on this site or another-can anyone point me at him?

The watch is very attractive-I am not someone who normally wears bracelets, gold chains or any of that stuff but this is very classy. I had considered getting a Breitling Bentley, I own a 1935 Bently car, but those watches are just too big for me. The Navitimer is thick, I hadn't realised how thick, but it is a work of art. I am thinking that I should get a ETA 7750 movement lined up in case this one quits.

Now I am going to stick my neck out. I paid $235 for this watch-looks like a good deal. I paid a similiar price for a Seiko chronograph last year. My question is: Given that the cost of labour in China is so low and that the manufacturer does not have to cover the design and development costs of this watch (To a point), is this not a high price to pay for a replica? As I said, I am happy with the watch but as a friend said after I told him the price, "You could have got a real watch for that much".

post-4182-1191898276_thumb.jpg

not a bad price at all...if it the 28k high beat 7750 mvmt. the cost of a genuine croc leather will run you around $400....is it worth it to me?...absolutely not. the rep straps for breitling are of great quality...in my opinion. the biggest flaw for most of the older breitling reps is the lack of Ar (anti-reflective coating). if you never owned a watch that had AR this probably wont bother you, but i know atleast for me.... once i bought a watch with AR....i now need my reps to have it. all-in-all you gotta good rep at a good price.

Hello!

I woud contact ruby to see what she could do about a replacement. Two weeks is within a reasonable time period for the watch mov't to just be DOA or so to speak, probably had something wrong with it from the moment that you recieved it. I know all the dealers I work with would have no problem replacing the watch or at least giving a STEEP discount.

Phillip

Well, the thing just quit!! :huh: Two weeks or so after I got it--I guess you better put me down for one of those ETA7750 movements. Who do I get to install it in Canada? And can they do AR? Thanks for any suggestions.

The master himself, The Zigmeisterzumba, is in Canada. But I read in his .sig he's not taking new jobs until Jan. '08, with appointments being taken in December.

PM him for more info. Sorry about your Breit. :(

Sorry to hear about the dead Navi!

Hoping I don't suffer the same fate - I've got my first two reps (Breitlings) on order from Andrew (TrustyTime):

- Blk/Graphite Ultimate BCE Asian

- Black Stick Marker "New Style"/3-6-9 Navi

Order placed about a week ago.

Trying to restrain from ordering some more already! They can't get here fast enough.

I have ordered a ETA7750 from Joe here on the Forum. I like the watch so much and intend keeping it, and wearing it.

Interestingly, none of my friends figured out it was a replica. I could, just, get away with the real thing but I would feel dumb spending that amount of money. And yes, I told my friends it was a rep. Most of them are professional men but some wear reps anyway :o

I am very involved in classic and vintage cars and there is a thriving industry in replicas with those-there have long been the fg bodied Cobras of course, but you can also get a perfect, aluminium bodied replica that is built in an old Mig factory in Poland-The only way to tell the difference is that the rep is better made! The problems occur when a rep is passed off as genuine--sounds familiar doesn't it?

I have ordered a ETA7750 from Joe here on the Forum.

Hi David,

Do you mean Joe from RWG...this forum?

Or do you mean Joe, from another forum?

The reason I ask is that Joe is banned here, and seem to be a scamer.

The other reason I'm asking is that you are in Canada...

Ziggy is in Canada, and so far, no one complains about his work while lots of people complain about that Joe work.

Please, be prudent.

Your watch is not dead...it only needs a good watchsmith.

Cheers

Stephane

Sorry to hear about the dead Navi!

Hoping I don't suffer the same fate - I've got my first two reps (Breitlings) on order from Andrew (TrustyTime):

- Blk/Graphite Ultimate BCE Asian

- Black Stick Marker "New Style"/3-6-9 Navi

Order placed about a week ago.

Trying to restrain from ordering some more already! They can't get here fast enough.

Andrew has always come through for me. Good quality and GREAT communication.

WISS

Hi David,

Do you mean Joe from RWG...this forum?

Or do you mean Joe, from another forum?

The reason I ask is that Joe is banned here, and seem to be a scamer.

The other reason I'm asking is that you are in Canada...

The Zigmeister is in Canada, and so far, no one complains about his work while lots of people complain about that Joe work.

Please, be prudent.

Your watch is not dead...it only needs a good watchsmith.

Cheers

Stephane

I mean Joe who is advertising ETA 7750 movements for $275 on this forum. The one with the really nice avatar ;)

Am I right i thinking that ALL the Navitimers are made at the same factory? I just checked the back of mine with a magnifying glass and sure enough, the Meschershmidt (sp?) is spelled out with numbers. Until I read another post on this forum I hadn't noticed that.

If an original dial is available is it worth getting? I saw one sell on ebay for $95 last week. Looking for a response from you experts :D