When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Few new pics of my old sub

bruce79

The dial is gen too, I was lucky enough to score it from a fellow member a while back. ^_^

Would that happen to be the one that was listed at TRC? It was a long time ago but as I recall, it was gone before I could type "I'll take it". :lol:

I've been fortunate to collect a couple of T-dials (both WG no-dates) but no luck for the 16610. Part of the fun of this hobby is the hunt for OEM parts.

Would that happen to be the one that was listed at TRC? It was a long time ago but as I recall, it was gone before I could type "I'll take it". :lol:

I've been fortunate to collect a couple of T-dials (both WG no-dates) but no luck for the 16610. Part of the fun of this hobby is the hunt for OEM parts.

Probably so, I think z80 was the seller. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I don't think I even had a sub at the time. It's one of those things, very fortunate. Same with the tw classic sub I got shortly after. There were some great deals floating around here about a year or two ago when the forums weren't as big as they are now. When you could still find a used tw for $150 sitting. With the member count what it is and the excitement surrounding some of these watches, now the good stuff usually goes within minutes. But yes, the hunt is much of the fun. This sub was such a challenge to put together and there was so much trial and error. I can say that I owe much of the credit to The Zigmeister, he spent many hours on this sub and I know it gave him a headache. But the end result is a one of a kind to me and is something I'll keep for a long time.

thewightstuff, darn terrific 16800. B) Another relatively limited production rollie that's rapidly becoming quite a collectible.

If memory serves me correctly, this one took the place of your 5513. I don't see these offered anywhere in the numbers of the 5513.

Is that the original insert? I ask as the dial and hands haven't developed the patina of the Tritium dot.

Congrats!

As I understand it, first was the matte dial 16800 like you have there, wight. 7 to 8 million serial #'s. Then 2-3 years later, the gloss dial with the white gold surrounds replaced it. Yesterday, I saw a 16800A on ebay- not sure what the significance/difference was. Then the 168000 came out around 1987 with the 904L steel, quickly followed by the 16610 around 1988 or so.

Here's the 16800A- Says a different kinda steel also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not sure about the 30 jewels though- 3035 is 27 jewels and 3135 is 31.

Here's a 16800- later w/ WG surrournds:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-ROLEX-STAINLESS-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's the 168000- the final version w/ the 3035 and 914L steel, I believe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Submariner-16800...1QQcmdZViewItem

aligoat,

i cant get the ebay links to work but you could well be right.

i thought that the gloss dial game in sans WG surrounds and these didnt make an appearance until the steel change and model rev to 168000 but since i have almost negligable interest in the gloss dials (stretching to the sapphire was almost too far for me haha) it could be that im mistaken.

service dials for the 16800 are WG, just as they are for the 5513 which probably means a period both where WG was used and certainly that WG will now be in many 16800s even if not when new.

maybe the WG caught the 16800A only before they dropped the A in favour of an extra 0.

jetson,

yeah it replaced the 5513. im still unsure if i did the right thing though the 16800 isnt too common and picking up market wise thats for sure. i just saw one go for 7.5k. i was loving the date mag at first, the whole reason i changed out but im now seeing the draw of the non date in a more acute fashion. (good job i kept the 5512 i guess)

im not feeling the sapphire crystal either, its too flashy and smudges easily but i am getting used to it.

its 100% original. i see alot with much darker inserts. i guess maybe they arent as hermetically sealed as the dial and hands. the dial and hands are cream but show up white in the pics sadly. the matte is lovely but the sapphire doesnt show it off as plexi does.

What a hassle when ebay links don't work!

The 16800A is item # 160164423408- still cheap

The 16800 from Beckertime is # 160167433345

The 168000 from Watchesetconline is # 130160945735

Becker Time and Watches Etc Online are reputable, don't know the other guy

I don't know when the 5513 went to WG surrounds, but I'd figure the 16800 dial did so at about the same time- mid 80's.

Like you, my preference is the matte dial 16800, but the price is going up daily!

That's why I'd love to build a rep- I already have the dial

Buying a later 16800 and swapping in the early dial just doesn't do it for me

Guys,

Thanks for the lesson.

"The 16800A is item # 160164423408- still cheap", that seems a real good deal.

Anf the hours markers seems "aged"...much more than the two others.

Does the 16800 carry more "yellowish" hour markers ? Or is it just the photo ?

Cheers

Stephane

i think its actually ref 168000 technically. from memory the transitional 16800 didnt see WG on the surrounds though it did get a gloss dial at the end before the change from 316L to 904L case material and WG markers along with the new reference 168000.

i need to get out more haha

16800-1.jpg

do you shave your arms? :huh:

just shows the difference a dial makes huh, as if anyone into older rollies needed to be told just now.

mattes are picking up pace and fast being the last of the pieces vintage will look at. i know of a few that have sold, minus papers for the $7.5k mark in the last few weeks and yet with the gloss dial and WG you struggle to shift them at all and theres no significant collectibility. its like the WG and gloss 5513. no one really wants them and the only people picking them up are those wanting a cheap rolex or those on the fringes of the vintage world that cant get onto the wheel with the regular models. even though theres tritium and patina just like everything else, that shift to gloss and WG moves the models significantly across the fence that surrounds the vintage models.

dealers and collectors wont touch anything above 8.5m with a matte either assuming its been retrofitted too.

it will be interesting to see if money overrides this in the future. with the rise and rise of vintage will the dealers create a shift in this perception to allow them to cash in on these models too. my own feeling is this may just be a stretch too much but who knows. tudors have risen, sharply in some cases and these arent even real rollies. i wouldnt like to have shelled out the prices being paid for these just now when the dust settles thats for sure.

Edited by thewightstuff