When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I spot a fake Portuguese 3714?

mrnixon

I have a little bit of an odd questions. I used to hang a the Panerai department before but have now mainly moved more towards genuine watches although I still come in here to check up the latest news. I am planning to buy a gen Portuguese ref 3714-01. As usual when buying from someone I dont know I have to be very careful, and then I realized that the real experts to ask are of course you guys here who are discussing reps. So my question is if there is any easy way of spotting the difference between a gen and a rep?

I have never attached pictures before but I will do an attempt to do so of the watch I have in mind.

Most grateful for any comments.

post-3835-1192201115_thumb.jpg

^^^^ That Portuguese is a replica.

The original has 3 ticks between the seconds markers. (not four as this replica) (the 3 ticks is there to represent the 3 ticks per second that the second hand is doing (per second 21.6kVPH)

The original has the numbers embossed on the dial. If you look at a close photo of the replica, they are glued on, where as the original has them "punched" from the inside..

The original has true blue steel hands.. Not painted blue or coated blue. They are made of steel and put under fire, making them turn blue. They look black when there is no reflection on them.

Search for imperfections on the hands too.. A typical sign in this replica

If you look at the "6", it is slightly different in the original..

The dial of the original has a bit more sparkle and shine to it.

There are slight differences in the back, but you have enough data already.. Let's not disclose everything to the scamers :)

Good luck

The back of the gen is brushed. The "11" and the "1" markers on the reps are all slighly crooked. As mentioned, the six is slightly cut out on the gen. And, of course, the gen doesn't have a 1000 rpm free spinning rotor.

Geo

Many thanks for your reply. So you are 100% sure that the watch on the scan above is a replica? whoooooooo I got really worked up about this so I really appreciate your support. It is a seller who is rather well known at my regular watch forum.

I add another picture. And thanks again for your comments. It can save me 4500 usd so it is highly appreciated.

post-3835-1192203225_thumb.jpg

I hope I can help you in making a better decision and hope some experts will chime in soon on this pic..

Look at the chrono seconds hand. See some anomalies of the blue in the lower end of it?See a big flake of the blue paint around the middle of it.. Approximately at the height of the running seconds..

Then the numbers on the dial, they look to sit square on the dial. In the original, they are emerging from the dial.

Ask for a pic of the back and a profile. Not almost profile.. Full profile..

Have a look here

hxxp://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=879713&mid=2950717&rid=0&rev=&reveal=

hxxp://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=879713&mid=2954514&rid=0&rev=&reveal=

hxxp://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=879713&mid=2950677&rid=0&rev=&reveal=

Look at the blue'd steel, and the three ticks..

Then look here how the numbers are emerging from the dial

hxxp://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=879713&mid=2950433&rid=0&rev=&reveal=

You are making a good choice on buying an original of this watch. I bought the rep and then had an authentic dial (from ebay) put on it. They fit perfectly (so even the dial is not a giveaway). The caseback is also easily brushed with steel wool (or sandpaper). The only true way to tell is winding the crown. There is a huge difference in the feel of the movements. I ended up buying the rattrapante version of the watch.

Regards.

post-446-1192205272_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to thank you guys, and in particular Geo. I am very very grateful for informing me about this. If it wasnt for your comments, i would have lost ove 4500 usd. It was going to be my 40th birthday present from my wife so buying a fake and loosing all that money would have been absolutely horrible.

Many thanks!

Many thanks!

Happy to be of some help and happy birthday for your Lady.

If you need have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

:)

FR

G

PS:

One Q though - doesn't the gen have a 7750 also - modified by IWC. It should beat at 28.8K bph, so the four ticks make sense - or did IWC regulate the movement down to 21.6K BPH?

You are right repaustria. It is a 28.8kvph, so this is why the original has 3 ticks between the second markers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, my first post so go easy on me...

I have this exact replica and really like it as it is very close to the original. I hadn't noticed the 3 ticks, just the crown detail is deifferent. Anyway, my problem is it is now 7 months old and keeps stopping intermittantly. It also loses a minute a day or so. The stopping is becoming much worse, it wasn't cheap so I don't really want to throw it. It also ticks really loudly. What's my opitions, should I try a get it serviced, if so can anyone recommend anywhere in the NW (UK). Cheers in advance.

Man, you guys are damn good! :1a:

mrnixon, a buddy recently bought a slightly used blue gen $4K. The IWC was only for moths old and perfect in every way. You might keep your eyes peeled on TZ or perhaps post a wanted add.

This is one awesome watch!

Added: You can purchase new for $4750 from a reputable dealer (not authorized). Perhaps something to consider.

http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/iwc1.html

Thanks for the advice. You're right. If I can get a new for 4750, it might be more attractive than a 2nd hand for around 4. I have never heard of this dealer, Alan Furman, is he wellknown and with a good reputation?

Man, you guys are damn good! :1a:

mrnixon, a buddy recently bought a slightly used blue gen $4K. The IWC was only for moths old and perfect in every way. You might keep your eyes peeled on TZ or perhaps post a wanted add.

This is one awesome watch!

Added: You can purchase new for $4750 from a reputable dealer (not authorized). Perhaps something to consider.

http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/iwc1.html

Thanks for the advice. You're right. If I can get a new for 4750, it might be more attractive than a 2nd hand for around 4. I have never heard of this dealer, Alan Furman, is he wellknown and with a good reputation?

Alan Furmans are an established discount jewelry/watch emporium. My mother has bought from them. I would say, research, but yes.