When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SFSO crown problems?

P4GTR

Mine is an Asian model. The crown does screw in but does not disengage from the winding movement, and continues to wind the movement whilst screwing back in. Not tight so much, but not as it should be.

My ETA version winds the movement while screwing down the crown as well.

I also used some WD40 carefully on the threads... Then scew/unscrew and apply more wd40, you will see just how dirty it is inside once the oil begins to drip.

I recommend using something that isn't spray though like in a bottle with a fine tip. If you have no choice just be carefull as to not get any inside the case.

I did notice a bit of a difference after cleaning the threads with a q-tip with a drop of baby oil on it. I think im going to put a drop or two of WD40 on a Q-tip and really give the threads a good once over again.

So no one can report any stripped steelfish it seems. Good. Thats definately something SF owners will be happy to see.

My ETA version winds the movement while screwing down the crown as well.

There are only three crown position on the ETA as well as the Asian 21j (DG-2813) movements. The first is the winding position, the second is the date set, and the third is the hour/minute set. At no time do the gears disengage completely even when the crown is screwed in so, your movement is working exactly as designed. Winding as you screw in the crown is nothing to be concerned about. In fact, many owners regularly manually wind their watches slowly 20 or so revolutions to build up the power reserve.

Cleaning and lubricating the threads on the crown and tube is a good idea and should help with the baulking crown tightening. Using a Q-tip is wise as spraying oil directly onto the tube and crown may allow some flow into the movement which could cause more serious problems.

• 2 weeks later...
There are only three crown position on the ETA as well as the Asian 21j (DG-2813) movements. The first is the winding position, the second is the date set, and the third is the hour/minute set. At no time do the gears disengage completely even when the crown is screwed in so, your movement is working exactly as designed. Winding as you screw in the crown is nothing to be concerned about. In fact, many owners regularly manually wind their watches slowly 20 or so revolutions to build up the power reserve.

Cleaning and lubricating the threads on the crown and tube is a good idea and should help with the baulking crown tightening. Using a Q-tip is wise as spraying oil directly onto the tube and crown may allow some flow into the movement which could cause more serious problems.

Thank you JD, excellent advice from a WIS man. :D