When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying SFSO - but which colour please?

fivefive

Hey guys,

I need your help urgently, just wondering which colour of SFSO should i go for please?

I am planning to get it from silix, and i want a colour that's the closest to its gen?? i mean is there one colour that is better than the other 2 please?

i've read a few thread on this, and its rather confusing that some have suggested white looks great, while others said if i am getting the ETA version with AR, it is not worth going for white, as AR not necessary on white......???

and then now i just read another user suggested that the blue on rep look much different from the blue on gen??

any idea??

thanks,

five

I don't think you would be disappointed with any of them, Its not that the white does not need AR, its just not as noticable on the white dial.

The blue and black show off the AR more, which is the more accurate of the two I will leave for someone else to say.

I have went for black, the blue looks lovely too though.

To my eye none of them are obviously wrong, they all look great.

There seems to be a lot of people going for the blue rep in ETA, problaby influenced to some degree by By-tor's excellent review.

With the Asian it seems to be white is the most popular, these are both just my opinion and based on nothing more than what I have read.

As for the gen, I've seen fairly even numbers.

The blue color is spot on, as far as I can tell. The wristshot Italiano posted looks exactly like the rep blue... the pic is just very bright.

My pictures of the SFSO have been taken in a studio setup and under fluorescent lighting, so the color might look a bit different in a natural lighting. They're also contrasted a bit.

The rep dial can look very different... even 100% gray, depending of the the angle to take a picture from. I might shoot some outside wrist shots next week for reference, and post to this thread.

Edit: Actually the rep dial might be a bit more "violet". I have to see how the pics turn out in a daylight.

The blue color is spot on, as far as I can tell. The wristshot Italiano posted looks exactly like the rep blue.

My pictures of the SFSO have been taken in a studio setup and under fluorescent lighting, so the color might look a bit different in a natural lighting. They're also contrasted a bit.

The rep dial can look very different... even 100% gray, depending of the the angle to take a picture from. I might shoot some outside wrist shots next week for reference, and post to this thread.

man, now i am confused :huh: , why is he saying "its not the same on the rep....not even close."?? :huh:

i had both white and blue ones. while in a trip in mexico, i met a guy with a gen blue dial one. and the color of the dial was very differnt than mine. so the difference is not just in pictures. when i came back, i sold my blue dial one and now i am keeping my white. its true that the AR is more noticable on dark dials but i love the AR on my white steelfish too. now i am looking to buy another watch with a dark dial and strong AR. because i somehow miss the AR on my blue dial steelfish. so i would say the black dial steelfish would be the one to get if you want it to be closer to gen with strong AR.

i had both white and blue ones. while in a trip in mexico, i met a guy with a gen blue dial one. and the color of the dial was very differnt than mine. so the difference is not just in pictures. when i came back, i sold my blue dial one and now i am keeping my white. its true that the AR is more noticable on dark dials but i love the AR on my white steelfish too. now i am looking to buy another watch with a dark dial and strong AR. because i somehow miss the AR on my blue dial steelfish. so i would say the black dial steelfish would be the one to get if you want it to be closer to gen with strong AR.

now this is getting interesting :o

I looked at Google and Ebay, and found very conflicting "evidence". There are pics where the blue looks almost spot on, like this:

standard.jpg

But it looks lighter and more "cyan" in other pics. Maybe there's a difference between the production runs again... just like the seconds hand and bracelet?

Or perhaps the rep dial is indeed darker and more violet? I have never taken daylight shots of the SFSO... I'll snap some tomorrow or day after (if I have time).

in mexico i had my watch side by side with the gen blue dial. it was the same watch with same bracelet and same second hand. but the color was really different. and the AR was more noticable on mine, maybe because it was a darker blue. with the rep blue steelfish, when you move your wrist, the color seems to change alot, but never comes as light as the gen. with the gen, the color seems to stay the same in every angle.

@italiano: You're probably right. The gen looks lighter and less colorful, but it's not that much different (just imho). Found this old wristshot, which is straight out of the camera (just cropped).

First rep, then gen.

IMG_5234.jpgstandard.jpg

Blue dials have been traditionally very difficult to replicate properly. It looks like the SFSO is no exception then. Would love to see the actual gen vs. rep comparison though.

so guys, should i go for the white or the black dial please? :D thankssssss

You're going to let us decide?

Accuracy-wise, they're all you'd need, so it's a matter of taste. I got white because I have lots of black-faced watches. Black is probably better with rubber or steel and white is probably better with leather.

It's all opinion.

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass if the color shade of the blue is a bit different. Blue is usually the only option for me on sports watches. :)

Same thing with the Aquaracer. Even if the black and white versions are probably more accurate, they don't do anything for me. I think the best suggestion (for the guy who asked) is that you buy what you like the most. The chances that someone calls you out because of the lighter/darker shade of blue on your watch are about 1:100000. I bet I won't live long enough to meet someone other who owns this exact same Breitling model... at least in my neck of woods.