When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Are the 2 Least Expensive PAM Rep?

NotASolder

What Are the 2 Least Expensive PAM Reps?

So, The title says it all.

I know there are price lists, but there are also fora-special sales and limited time posted special deals that one man may miss. (For example I missed the generally praised $75 shipped 'Trevor' PAM on a sister site.)

Please point me toward the LOWEST PRICED PAM reps. And of course, please nitpick on faults and/or general quality of construction of those vs. the $400 PAM reps.

Oh, BTW Great forum!!!

:)

BUDGET CLIFF NOTES. FOR THE CHEAP AND LAZY...

*Paul/Wo Mart's $99 shipped PAM, has bee found to look like a $99 PAM.

*Silix 027 with working Power Reserve is looking good at $96 shipped.

Remember YMMV.

Edited by NotASolder

Mr. Smith,

That's the point. There are a lot of sub $100 options, with no reference guide to such low priced reps. Sometimes PAM rep buyers seem to push aside the lower cost reps...

BTW, THAT HAS TO BE THE BEST AVATAR EVER.

Pirate,

I thought the $75 Trevor's were long gone???

Edited by NotASolder

I certainly feel those $300-$700 PAM reps are a much WORSE VALUE than Gen Pams.

The Pam rep is to my engineering student eye, a much less complex piece than say, a Noobmariner with it's movable bezel with inset and multi link bracelet with screws.

Still a $110 Noob Sub is considered close to State of the Art while I feel $100 Pam reps are not even worth talking about for some forumites.

It's true that the least expensive rep is the one where the total cosr is lower. In my case I'm just a fan of the look and CAN live without 1 to 1 'L Swiss' markings.

What I DO WANT, and fellow forumites in-hand experience could help me with, is quality of construction, fit and finish. Or as I read in one of the pinned reviews 'Judge it as a Watch' not as a Rep.

I know lume will be next to non-existant with unmodded Pams.

I know strap MAY suck sour frogs behind.

I know there may be no AR.

I WANT the movement to be a reliable/inexpensive Asian with Incabloc.

I WANT to be able to SLOWLY upgrade as a hobbie LATER on that low priced piece.

I WANT a crown guard lever that fits snugly.

IN SHORT I want PAM rep thats a Good WATCH First, for EDC.

BTW, I've been in the 'rep'; boards since 2004. Just came back from a 'short' vacation.

Gracias for your help... :)

Totally agree that the PAMs aren't complex and with the commonality of parts there's no excuse for not doing better. Take the 44mm handwinds - the cases are fine but the crowns and crownguards are not. Just 2 components and Jimmy Fu and Palpatine have shown that good CGs and crowns are entirely 'do-able'. Why can't our dealers sort this out. It must be a damn sight easier than repping the IWC Aquatimer's internal bezel or repping the GST or Inge's bracelet, both of which have been done to perfection.

Come on, raise your game.

Ok, Silix seems to have ONE of the two lowest priced reps .

I can't be the only cheapskate PAM rep stalking forumite.

I bet someone must have bought one, don't be shy admit it.

Please post your pics, comments, mini review or pride/displeasure with your low priced PAM here.

Pretty please with sugar on top :)

Please post your pics, comments, mini review or pride/displeasure with your low priced PAM here.

No. :p

Seriously, you are asking a lot when a brief look over the entire Panerai area would answer a lot of your questions! Try from July to August. BAM, in that time alone you have two of my posts commenting on how awful the two cheapo PAMs I bought from Paul/Wo-Mart were. U$99 shipped. What did I expect? Well, I got crap, is what I got.

To any newbie, ANY, I would say, go with Andrew's PAM 111h. Still at the old price I paid for $158 (not including shipping):

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...;products_id=94

Real sapphire crystal. Nice sized crown. Good font dial. Half-way decent lume. He even includes a rubber strap deployant for free, if asked, and not those leather monstrosities Paul sent me (in fairness, all rep straps are nasty, save Davidsen's).

This is the second time today I've mentioned Andrew, one privately, and I have to tell you, IMHO, he's the best. Full stop.

Silix' 027 @ 80 USD is a bang. I got two of them.

Good:

- Reliable Asian 21J movement, with seconds, date, and working PR at a ridicolous price.

- Excellent dial, at the level of the 2892-A2 027 (about 650 USD).

Bad:

- Incorrect caseback -- and hard to replace too, as it does not fit 99% of other reps.

- Substantially no lume (fixable).

- Bad datewheel font (fixable).

- Poor cyclops (fixable).

- Glass crystal (fixable).

Summary:

If you are not looking for a super-rep, this is very likely one of the most convenient PAM reps you can get.

If you consider that even the $650 027 needs mods on lume, datewheel and cyclops, you can get the whole picture.

Silix' 027 @ 80 USD is a bang. I got two of them.

Thanks, Sssurfer! For both of us. I'll get one too. :)

Now, do we have a sticky for people who ask these types of questions? Pugwash, why don't you write a Sticky about which cheap PAMs are out there or best bang for buck, etc.?

I just pointed out your Navitimer review to someone, since I must get around 5 PMs like this per week, and that was 100x better than anything I could do. You're da man! And yes, I am humping your leg a bit.

I have to agree with vicky, Andrew has the best budget PAMs...I got my 005 for $120 or so and its the best IMO, the 21j version...People have said that I got the latest provision (like the 13th version or something) with the better crown guard and thicker crown...Heres mine

PA070178_2.jpg

Edited by UB7

Hey guys stop looking at me funny !-)

It's not like I asked, What is The best Panerai !!!

:)

(Thanks for the responses, sssurfer you have 2228 posts, those are the last 4 digits of my cell phone.)

Thanks to you guys who posted your real life mini reviews :thumbup:

I WILL go back to read those August posts. Seems I always make it just a little too late for this kind of offers!

'Someone' *cough*u know who u r *cough* should write a Low Priced PAM Guide.

Keep the comments going...pleeeeease.

vbarret, see that was not that hard :) your comments are certainly welcomed (BTW is that your hand in yor avatar?, whats the watch?).

Edited by NotASolder

Thanks, Sssurfer! For both of us. I'll get one too. :)
You are always welcome, dear Vicky. I bet you won't get disappointed. If you, like me (mmmmh... if you like me... no, out of topic)... I meant, if you, like me, like to change your watch almost every day, you are going to find the PR reserve indicator as the most useful complication. You will always be aware when your watch needs a good winding.

sssurfer you have 2228 posts, those are the last 4 digits of my cell phone
Cool.

As we all are gay, I suppose this is a new approach technique? B)

vbarret ... is that your hand in yor avatar?, whats the watch?
'is that your hand in your avatar'?

'whats the watch'???

Silix 027 WITHOUT a hint of PR or date looks good at around $80.

http://www.watchsilix.com/product.asp?id=1088

I am looking at the other two $80 oferings WITH PR (working?) Silix 056 and 057.

The one with sub seconds at 9 o'clock looks ok. I don't like to look at a twitchy second's hand, I can't imagine what a 21K BPH second hand looks with that sized dial on the one with center seconds. It also looks too busy and I would hazard to guess has more things to get right.

sssurfer (without a hint of gheyness) may I ask which Silix 027 are you looking at? :)

...and to assert an air of manliness (in my best Rocky Balboa voice) 'Hey Vickeee whats UP! ' Unless Vbarret happens to be a man with very feminine hands, in which case, please disregard.

BTW,

pug, ub7 when I said Low Priced I meant LOWWWW, what would be your choice in sub $100 PAMs?

Edited by NotASolder

The 'is that your hand?' line was supposed to be THE approach line...
LOL :lol:

But, in this case, please stay on queue. :gun:

Silix 027 WITHOUT a hint of PR or date looks good at around $80.

http://www.watchsilix.com/product.asp?id=1088

I am looking at the other two $80 oferings WITH PR (working?) Silix 056 and 057.

sssurfer (without a hint of gheyness) may I ask which Silix 027 are you looking at? :)

I was telling about the model on Silixprime, not that on Silixwatch (Silixprime is Silix's site for better reps, while Silixwatch is their site for cheaper reps).

Here is the link:

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1486

...and to assert an air of manliness (in my best Rocky Balboa voice) 'Hey Vickeee whats UP! ' Unless Vbarret happens to be a man with very feminine hands, in which case, please disregard.

Not another gay thread, have mercy! ;)

You called? If you want advice, you can't have come to a finer gentleman than Sssurfer. I would follow his counsel slavishly. Never bought a PAM from Silix, sticking only to his Rolexes, so my input would be minimal alas.

You guys and gals have been great.

Just one more thing :)

sssurfer, Do you recommend the PAM 027 aka Silix 056 -to which you linked- over the Silix 057 (the other $80 PAM ion that site) just because you liked it more or is there something terribly wrong with the Silix 057?

How smooth does the sweep look with that big center seconds hand?

Won't the sub seconds 057 be 'truer' on the wrist?

Why is the water so hard in my neighborhood?

Why do taxes keep increasing at the state level?

When will I stop asking question and just buy the darned thing?

Just one more thing :)

sssurfer, Do you recommend the PAM 027 aka Silix 056 -to which you linked- over the Silix 057 (the other $80 PAM ion that site) just because you liked it more or is there something terribly wrong with the Silix 057?

Those actually are 6 more things, but as you got replies from vbarret too then I am in good mood and I will do my best to address your questions.

Do you recommend the PAM 027 aka Silix 056 -to which you linked- over the Silix 057 (the other $80 PAM ion that site) just because you liked it more or is there something terribly wrong with the Silix 057?

???

My link was to Silix' PANS057. Wasn't it?

Silix' PANS056 is a rep of PAM 090. It is a great watch too, its movement is even better than the 027. Silix just placed it at 80 USD so recently that I missed it. Both PANS056 and PANS057 are great choices, pick the one that you like most.

Just be warned that the 090 has a better cyclops (so it just needs datewheel replacing, no cyclops replacing), but the gen 090 is AR coated while the 090 is not. The gen 027 is not AR coated exatly like the rep 027.

Good question for a newbie, you will became an asset to the forum IMO.

To answer your question, the Asian 21J center seconds hand sweeps in a quite decently smooth fashion. Not at the level of a 2892-A2, obviously, but there is a 570 USD difference in the end. An RWGer, and 90% of Paneristi, would tell it instantaneously anyway.

Sorry unable to understand. Please elaborate.

More data needed. From what height did you try to plunge in it? What race are you? What job is yours?

Because useful vs unuseful population ratio keeps lowering. It is a well know issue about the western emisphere, and it makes for one of the main reasons for the eastern emisphere rising. In a global village like the current world, at least.

Most likely, when we (I) will stop giving you silly answers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close this up.

I faked left, then went right. I got a stock 177H from bk (the modder) $120 shipped.

At the end of the first day of ownership, I must say I'm pleased. It does have the slightly sunken CG pin and low cannon pin, but fit and finish seems nice, tigh CG lever, much better lume than what I was expecting (this from someone who EDC a Seiko Monster for the last 4 years) and since I expected a crappy leather strap, I ordered it with the rubber one with a nice signed buckle.

Already bought a BOB strap from the 'bay. Light bordeaux, no taper. German based strap sellers, I wonder if its any good for $14...

Thanks to all who contributed. I await that 'Guide to Entry Level PAM'S' sticky. :)

Edited by NotASolder

Andrews 128.00 pam is his best seller and probably one of the better ones out there for the price.

BTW....your name, not a solder? does that mean you refrain from any welding acitivity or that you are not likely to bring together

two entities..... Here is the def of solder, I had to see...

Solder,

1. any of various alloys fused and applied to the joint between metal objects to unite them without heating the objects to the melting point.

2. anything that joins or unites: the solder of their common cause.