When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For those with an addiction to your Lume.

Guest watchbuff

Guest watchbuff

Hey

I have noticed alot of "chat" about the Lume on their gens, high end reps, etc. The watch i found the most bang for the buck in lowlight is this:

Tritium H3

I know it's far from the Traser and Luminox, etc models. It's a quartz ( i hear hearts stopping!!!) But it is sturdy, comfortable, not understated but not overstated. Chronograph's would have been a nice touch but for the bargain basement price I got my new Night warrior for of $45.00 shipped, it was a good deal for something I "had to have".

We use tritium in our night sights of our firearms as well as alot of other applications that just make it "better" I open my drawer and I always notive my cheapo night arrior glowing steady and cool. Keeping the best time of all it's high ends neighbors in the watch box. I also have a Casio Pro Trek that lightts the indiglo with a twist of your wrist that has functions galore (alt Bar, Compass among a few) It should hgave been the last "practical" watch i would erver buy, but I guess that's where this goes from a hobby to a passion...then eventually a sickness.

Just something i thought about, figured I would share. :mellow:

I was thinking about using some of that gun sight paint. Is it actually tritium or just some sort of luminous paint? They have bright green and orange. I might order some green for the sights on my cz75 9mm and see how it looks...

Guest watchbuff

It's actual tritium. It is stored in the tube and it is obviously radioactive. I would not mess with it. Im not sure if it will last or have the same luminous properties in ambient air.

I use Trijicon sights on my 9mm Sig 226, 10 + years and still glowing.

On a side note, tritium is used in wepons grade form to accelerate nuclear fission. I.e.- Nuclear weapons can become thermonuclear, by using tritium in the matrix to "up" the yield.

Don't ask how I know this.

thanx for the link....ive been looking for one of the traser models they have. sadly seems like the price on the watch you featured went up :( $79 semolians now.

btw did you see the yellow gen omega speedy they have in the used section?

Edited by lumpy

I was thinking about using some of that gun sight paint. Is it actually tritium or just some sort of luminous paint?

Gun sight paint is just luminous paint. It has to be exposed to light before it will glow.

The tritium night sights have glass vials filled with tritium gas that will glow for several years.

Guest watchbuff

Nice watches, the whole train theme "Im not so into but for Lume addicts, it's a great fix. I am trying to get prices for these but no luck so far.

Tnhe Uzi and Nightwarrior are great intro-practical dependable beaters that have the Lume a low light operator needs on the cheap.

Cheers

Ok in the land of firearm sights, there are both tritium and luminous paint types. Meprolight and Trijicon both have tritium powered sights.

if you break the glass vial you won't get any glow. The vials have a coating (I forget right now, but it's some type of phosphor) and that coating is what get the tritium gas to glow. No coating, no glowing. I'd be real wary about messing with radioactive material (here in the US at least) and be real real sure about the laws.