When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How can I un-stick the crown on ETA 45mm UPO?

itreeman

The crown on my UPO is stuck in, I cannot pull it out. How can I fix this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited to add a little history, to be more specific:

I had previously removed the movement because when I received the watch there was an hour marker that had fallen off the dial and was floating around in the watch. I successfully removed the movement and re-attached the marker. Then when I put it all back together I inserted the crown/stem very carefully but I guess I must have forced something because now I could only set the date in the innermost position but I could not pop it out to the 1st or second position. I could only unscrew the crown and set the date in the unscrewed position. Based on a little research I figured it was the keyless works. Am I wrong? What else could it be?

Nope...Still have not figured this out yet. I did open the watch up and if I press the release I can remove the crown but if I re-insert it, the crown gets stuck again?? Any ideas on how I can fix this? I am thinking about just buying a new movement.

Nope, no relation to the blingster. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I am working on trying to fix this myself. So far I have pulled the movement out and removed the hands. I will remove the dial next. Can anyone tell me what I need to look for and how to fix the keyless works??

Thanks

If you pulled the movement out of the case, this means that the crown is not stuck anymore...so I don't understand why you are taking the rest of the watch apart.

How did the crown get stuck in the first place? Had you done any work to the watch prior to it sticking? Did it work fine and all of a sudden jam up? Why do you think the keyless works is the problem and not the crown itself?

By "stuck" does this mean you can't wind, set the date, or change the time on the watch? If you could do these functions, your keyless works are working just fine and the problem is not in there.

If you couldn't get the crown to work with the movement in the case, now that you have removed it from the case, did you reinstall the crown and stem into the movement and test the keyless works functions before tearing more of the watch apart? That would be the next step. If the keyless works fine with the movement out of the case, then your problem is not the keyless works...

Successful troubleshooting means describing in detail what the problem is, and approaching the fix in a logical manner. As someone already said, if your crown was stuck, the first question from anyone would been "Have you unscrewed the crown..."

RG

Thanks for the reply. I had previously removed the movement because when I received the watch there was an hour marker that had fallen off the dial and was floating around in the watch. I successfully removed the movement and re-attached the marker. Then when I put it all back together I inserted the crown/stem very carefully but I guess I must have forced something because now I could only set the date in the innermost position but I could not pop it out to the 1st or second position. I could only unscrew the crown and set the date in the unscrewed position. Based on a little research I figured it was the keyless works. Am I wrong? What else could it be?

I am having the same problem with the movement outside of the case too. The crown/stem cannot come out and only the date can be set.

Thank You for any further info.

If you pulled the movement out of the case, this means that the crown is not stuck anymore...so I don't understand why you are taking the rest of the watch apart.

How did the crown get stuck in the first place? Had you done any work to the watch prior to it sticking? Did it work fine and all of a sudden jam up? Why do you think the keyless works is the problem and not the crown itself?

By "stuck" does this mean you can't wind, set the date, or change the time on the watch? If you could do these functions, your keyless works are working just fine and the problem is not in there.

If you couldn't get the crown to work with the movement in the case, now that you have removed it from the case, did you reinstall the crown and stem into the movement and test the keyless works functions before tearing more of the watch apart? That would be the next step. If the keyless works fine with the movement out of the case, then your problem is not the keyless works...

Successful troubleshooting means describing in detail what the problem is, and approaching the fix in a logical manner. As someone already said, if your crown was stuck, the first question from anyone would been "Have you unscrewed the crown..."

RG

When you removed the stem from the movement you used something other than a wide flat blade screw driver to push the release button, as a result its pushed too far into the movement and become jammed in place. To fix this requires stripping the keyless works from the front of the movement (under the dial) and re-assembling everything. Its fairly straight forward if you have some basic watch making experience but a tricky job if you've never taken anything this small apart before.

Good luck!

I used a wide flat screwdriver so I'm not sure but I don't think I pushed it in too far. I can still push down on the release and the stem will come out. Just once I insert it, it will not go to first or second position.

When you removed the stem from the movement you used something other than a wide flat blade screw driver to push the release button, as a result its pushed too far into the movement and become jammed in place. To fix this requires stripping the keyless works from the front of the movement (under the dial) and re-assembling everything. Its fairly straight forward if you have some basic watch making experience but a tricky job if you've never taken anything this small apart before.

Good luck!

I used a wide flat screwdriver so I'm not sure but I don't think I pushed it in too far. I can still push down on the release and the stem will come out. Just once I insert it, it will not go to first or second position.

Understood on how the watch got this way, this makes it clear as to what the problem is.

The biggest problem with the ETA 2824/36 models and the keyless works, is when the stem is installed the clutch gear snaps out of the lever, it's not so much when removed (like in your case, where you used the correct tool and the pusher is still locking the stem).

That is the good news, the bad news is that you have to take the keyless works apart to fix the problem.

You can get the ETA datasheets at www.eta.ch which will help with the assembly procedures. The problem is one I see a lot, and that I end up having as well.

The clutch gear has been pushed out of place past the clutch lever, and the only way to fix it, is to take it apart, and put it back together where it should be. Not terribly difficult, but the keyless works is quite complex, includes the hacking lever, and a lot of parts that have to fit together a certain way, etc... If you haven't done this before, honestly it's very unlikely that you will have success in getting this sorted out.

It's much too complex for me to run through in a post since a lot of the dial side has to come apart to get at the problem.

RG

Thanks again for your input. Ok, so I definetly think this is out of my league. I guess the dial had to come off any way so no harm there really. I think what I will do is just order a new movement (I found a brand new one for $75.00). Any other sources for this movement? Will the dial/hands/datewheel from my current movement transer over to the new movement without any modifications?

Thanks again! ;)