When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do Reps Get Better With Time?

tmark

As a newbie I was wondering if reps get revised from time to time. Obviously some of the more popular ones-rolex, omega, pam, just keep improving. But what about the others. For example fa jones, as I understand it very accurate front, but ofcourse back is generic. If one waits what is the chance that this will improve? Now perhaps this isn't a fair question as the fa jones back is quite unique. But it seems many reps, even those that are very accurate have flaws, wrong hands, wrong markings on subdial etc. In your experience do the reps improve over time? And I guess a related question. How long do reps stay in production? Bottom line, if I think I like a watch but would like some portion of it to be more accurate, should I buy it now, because it may not be available later or should I just wait for the next model to come out?

As a newbie I was wondering if reps get revised from time to time. Obviously some of the more popular ones-rolex, omega, pam, just keep improving. But what about the others. For example fa jones, as I understand it very accurate front, but ofcourse back is generic. If one waits what is the chance that this will improve? Now perhaps this isn't a fair question as the fa jones back is quite unique. But it seems many reps, even those that are very accurate have flaws, wrong hands, wrong markings on subdial etc. In your experience do the reps improve over time? And I guess a related question. How long do reps stay in production? Bottom line, if I think I like a watch but would like some portion of it to be more accurate, should I buy it now, because it may not be available later or should I just wait for the next model to come out?

Its a hard question to answer.

Demand for a certain rep means that it will hopefully go through several generations (think Omega Planet Ocean)...however if too many people are jumping on the 4th gen then it will take longer for them to bring out the 5th gen (because in the manufacturers eyes there is no need...they are making lots of money).

However if you take for example the Omega 'Bond' SMP, this rep was amazing a while ago...however the factory that made it apparently closed, and so we now have a worse rep on offer.

You must think of it like this...if you can live with the flaws with a certain generation, then just go for it and enjoy it. Otherwise it could be a never-ending search for the 'perfect' rep.

Hope that helps,

Jon

Reps are in a constant state of revision. If you see a rep today with an obvious flaw, stand by, it will be revised.

Reps stay in production so long as there is a market for them.

Life's too short for pitiful reps - the good ones will come along, followed by ever better, although sometimes there are bumos in the road and the next gen is actually inferior to the last.

Bill

although sometimes there are bumos in the road and the next gen is actually inferior to the last.

Indeed. With some revisions come great improvements and corrections to flaws that were present. However, one can most surely count on a number of features that were perfectly fine from prior versions to now be flawed. Apparently the old saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' isn't taken into account when making updates to popular designs ;) Take 2 steps forward, then take 10 steps back...

I find that in certain (many) cases, it almost pays to take several different revisions and combine them into one near perfect example, using the best of the best parts from each watch...

Ubi-

I am with you. Often the new version will have a new flaw and you end up combining pieces of various versions. I am in the process of mounting the innards (horological term) from a 7753 Panda into the case from my old school Asian 7750 196.

You will also find that as time goes by, if so inclined, you will continue to mod the ones you love. My 2892's and 3's went from stock rep lume to regular Luminova to Super Luminova. The crowns went from stock to Lello and will ultimately go to Palp crowns. And once they receive gen hands (in the mail) and the upcoming cyclops and datewheels they will be as close to perfect as possible. The best advice, if not buying $100 reps, is to go with the movement and work from there. :)

Thanks for the insite everyone. How long would you say resonable reps stay on the market? Or do the factories tend to make a batch and when the're gone the're gone. For example seems most have our dealers picked up the FA Jones, the IWC GST TI, and Pam111h asian with correct bridges. Are these going to stay around for 1 month, 6 month 1 year or what? Obviously the Pam's are very popular so I expect continued refining although to my untrained eye they seem pretty spot on. Sorry for the lack of coherent question it's just hard not to want to buy a couple of watches every week!

kruz-

I agree with you on the continuous evolution of modifications and upgrades to favorite pieces. I don't know how many different dials, movements, crystals, bezels I've been through on my favorites, but I'm always looking for improvements where possible (though in many cases it's hard to beat genuine parts! :lol:)

tmark-

It's always difficult to say how long certain versions stay in production. A lot depends on how popular a specific model is. Seems that the mainstream models like the Subs, Seamasters, PAM's, etc are always cycling through evolution, and it's not uncommon to see a lot of overlap with watches of various points of origin and creation, while the more unique pieces like the IWC's, may not see any revisions or updates for a very long time.

We have a few examples how reps ALWAYS seem to get worse when they reach certain point. Omega Seamaster "Bond" and 007 Special Edition being a prime examples (just like Bilbo mentioned). Rolex GMT Master II is another... and Planet Ocean can probably be added to the list as well (eventually)... I seriously doubt they'll ever make better version than the 4th gen. I could be wrong though.

Even the most requested replica watch, modern Rolex Submariner can't be perfected. They simply can't - or don't want to do it (for whatever reason). They have gotten a lot better though. But perfect? Nope, we can always spot the flaws from ANY rep.