When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why replace a stock MBW DRSD movement with a "slow beat" movement?

earnout

Ofrei has them here for $70.

The 2846 Day wheel is held onto the center pinion by a small circlip. Just use a small screwdriver to prise off the circlip and the Day ring can be lifted off.

repaustria -- The 'swishing' sound of the ETA comes from the auto-winding module.....if you remove the module, the sound goes away & the movement sounds like a Rolex when manually wound. How are you removing the 'swishing' sound without removing the auto-winding module?

The only ETA i have that makes a swishing sound when winding is one with a gummed up winding modual, no swishing on a working on, but then again i am deaf!

you guys are all lucky bastards!!!! I hate you all. ;) I got my 1680 from George, which has a 2824 in it! and cannot be swapped. I got the news that it is 2824 after all the mods have been made, and after I have bought my 2846. Then The Zigmeister informed me that mine is one of the rare ones (which he has not seen before) that was outfitted with a 2824. so is it really true that this can't be done? I am sure that The Zigmeister is right on this, but I feel so sad that I come so far with all the modding, then get stopped there, and have to stick with the fast beat one. any other idea on how to address this? and no, I do not have enough money for a 1575, as Randy was trying to talk me into it......any ideas? anyone?

you guys are all lucky bastards!!!! I hate you all. ;) I got my 1680 from George, which has a 2824 in it! and cannot be swapped. I got the news that it is 2824 after all the mods have been made, and after I have bought my 2846. Then The Zigmeister informed me that mine is one of the rare ones (which he has not seen before) that was outfitted with a 2824. so is it really true that this can't be done? I am sure that The Zigmeister is right on this, but I feel so sad that I come so far with all the modding, then get stopped there, and have to stick with the fast beat one. any other idea on how to address this? and no, I do not have enough money for a 1575, as Randy was trying to talk me into it......any ideas? anyone?

I'm guessing the reason that The Zigmeister is saying it can't be done is your case was machined for the 2824-2 movement. This movement is thinner than the 2846. It is the main plate that is thicker and prevents the stem from lining up with the tube.

There is only one option for you. You will basically have to get The Zigmeister to swap the main plates on the movements. You will then end up with a slow beat 2824-2 and a high beat 2846. This will solve your problem. And while he is add it, he can leave the balance stop lever intact so you will have a hacking slow beat 2824-2!

Or, the other option if you don't have a 2846 to sacrifice, is you could just get The Zigmeister to order you a complete balance for a 2846 and drop it in the 2824-2. You will just have to make sure the shock assembly and balance c ock match, as well as a few other parts may need to be compared.

Not a cheap option as you are probably looking at the cost of the 2846, plus the cost of labour on the teardown and rebuild of two movements. Or if you are lucky, just a straight swap on the complete balance. That will only cost you about $30 for the parts, plus The Zigmeister's labour.

Undertand the 2846 has no hacking, does the c.1570 also has no hacking function?

The 1570 hacks. In the photo below, I believe, is the lever that is responsible for the 'hack' when the stem is pulled out.

I think it was the 1560 that did not hack, and possibly a few of the early 1570. Experts, please chime in.

rolexo.jpg

ETA2846 is not a hacking movement as the hacking lever is missing. So you cannot mimic the c.1570 even though the beat rate is close at 21600.

Honestly I can't really see the difference of the sweeping second movement between 2836 and 2846 from my naked eyes, I actually have both on hand side by side for comparison, perhaps it may be better off to stick with the 2836-2 in view of the built quality as well the presence of hacking function over the 2846.

I doubt the dealers know very much. As I got my 2846 ex ETA factory and it doesn't hack, so it is not likely the CN factories will take the pain to dissemble the movements and put in the hacking lever to get this function working. Simply too much work and manpower is needed. They won't care if the watch hacks or not hack, what the heck does this concern them.

Sorry guys, I agree that the beat difference is negligible on viewing unless you are looking for it and are concentrating on discerning it. Besides, there is lots more than simply oscilation frequency that goes into the smoothness of a second hand. I'm willing to bet a neglected 28.8K ETA beats less smoothly than a freshly serviced 19K Rolex movement.

Sorry guys, I agree that the beat difference is negligible on viewing unless you are looking for it and are concentrating on discerning it. Besides, there is lots more than simply oscilation frequency that goes into the smoothness of a second hand. I'm willing to bet a neglected 28.8K ETA beats less smoothly than a freshly serviced 19K Rolex movement.

That is true, you really have to be looking to notice. I have a friend that whenever I show him a watch, the first thing he does is stare at the sweep for a few seconds. Don't ask me why he does this, but he is not really a watch guy, but that is the first thing he does. He does notice a difference in some of my watches though. Even the 28.8 movements have variance in sweep between models. I have a 2836-2 in a gen watch I have, and it does not sweep that smooth. a few 2824-2's that I've looked at are different as well, the franken Date I built my wife with the 12892 movement sweeps as smooth as glass, yet another 12892 that I have is choppy like my 2836-2, and yet another is fairly smooth. I attached a sweep second hand to my 2846 and it is nice and choppy! Comparing the 2846 next to the franken date, there is a definate difference, but if each was stand alone, I really doubt the average person would even notice.