When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Taking the back off of a PAM

DinoTrainer

Buy the caseback tool from Angus. He sells them at a GREAT price and you'll have no risk of damaging your caseback or the crystal. While a big wad of duct tape will remove your caseback, I find it tricky to re-install it securely with that same sticky wad of tape. The aluminum tool from Angus is much easier to use. Best $50 you'll spend if you like playing around with various casebacks and movement mods like I do.

I tried it last night. And I was surprised how easily it came off. I'm trying to make my PAM 111 6497 that I posted about a few days ago more accurate my moving the regulator arm one notch at a time. It's about 4-6 per day fast... so I don't know if it'll help at all. Vaccum said he would help me out.

Buy the caseback tool from Angus. He sells them at a GREAT price and you'll have no risk of damaging your caseback or the crystal. While a big wad of duct tape will remove your caseback, I find it tricky to re-install it securely with that same sticky wad of tape. The aluminum tool from Angus is much easier to use. Best $50 you'll spend if you like playing around with various casebacks and movement mods like I do.

I second that - I bought both sizes (44 & 47) and its one of the best investments if you plan on opening/closing a PAM caseback yourself. I also found that new watches (coming from CN) rarely come with a tightened caseback. With these tools you can do the job without putting one single scratch on your baby.

I second that - I bought both sizes (44 & 47) and its one of the best investments if you plan on opening/closing a PAM caseback yourself. I also found that new watches (coming from CN) rarely come with a tightened caseback. With these tools you can do the job without putting one single scratch on your baby.

I'll look into one. As I said before, I don't have the most "elfish" of hands, so hopefully I wont need to do much repair work myself. Vaccume has offered to help me out, so once it's fixed I don't ever want to open it up again.

It's about 4-6 per day fast... so I don't know if it'll help at all. Vaccum said he would help me out.

It came running 4 to 6 minutes a DAY fast. Wow!

And 50 bucks for a caseback openner. Double Wow! I'm sure it's one of those nice machined one-piece Al ones but still, for a $100 PAM like I will likely get, seems a bit high.

The caseback wrench from Angus has to be the most important instrument in my tool box.

Do yourself a favour and buy both of them. That way you will save on shipping.

Cheers

T

Edited by TWP

I've had good results with a set of ordinary kitchen rubber gloves... :)

I have also discovered that dishwashing gloves does a great job. It might seem silly but I was washing dishes and I thought to myself that man, these are damn grippy. Whalla!! I tried it, and it worked!!! Just put on the glove, and using your palm, apply light pressure and just unscrew. Once a little loosened, use your index and middle finger to unscrew completely.

I have also discovered that dishwashing gloves does a great job. It might seem silly but I was washing dishes and I thought to myself that man, these are damn grippy. Whalla!! I tried it, and it worked!!! Just put on the glove, and using your palm, apply light pressure and just unscrew. Once a little loosened, use your index and middle finger to unscrew completely.

Ditto. They work wonders :D

And if palm pressure isn't enough, both thumbs forcing in oposite directions should be enough to open it :)