When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pvded Bell and ross BR03-92

ajoesmith

Well got it back, the case is not black but brownish. But it actually looks really good, once assembled.

The PVD is really resistant. I tried using a 3M sponge to take some of it off in the inside of the case, after rubbing very hard for a good, 2/3 mins (no jokes please), nothing. Its a very hard and durable coating!

I will be doing this again to try and get a more blacker finish.

Enjoy the pics.

CIMG2185.jpg

CIMG2184.jpg

CIMG2183.jpg

CIMG2182.jpg

CIMG2181.jpg

CIMG2180.jpg

CIMG2179.jpg

CIMG2178.jpg

Dude, I can't thank you enough for taking this on and sharing your experience with everyone. I appreciate it very much!!

I will second that....thanks so much for taking the time, energy, and effort to put this project together.

Its a shame that the cases didn't come out as anticipated...I'm sure once the true NERO PVD shows up...there will be lots of buyers...

My name is already on that list....really hope it turns out better on the next try...

cheers B)

I wonder if a little wax/polish may deepen the color a bit? And also give it a little shine that the genuine has?

Would be easier if it was disassembled, but how about some car wax?

Just my $0.02.

Eventhough its not "jet black" I still think your B&R looks great!

Out of curiosity, what coating does the rep come with? Most dealers seem to imply that its genuine PVD. So I take it the rep does not have a PVD coating? What kind of coating is it? Just black paint?

Thanks.

Here's an excerpt from an email exchange that I had with a representative of a PVD company:

"Something else to consider, we oil most of our guns and knives. This makes the coating black-black, and the oil doesn

I wonder if a little wax/polish may deepen the color a bit? And also give it a little shine that the genuine has?

Would be easier if it was disassembled, but how about some car wax?

Out of curiosity, what coating does the rep come with? Most dealers seem to imply that its genuine PVD. So I take it the rep does not have a PVD coating? What kind of coating is it? Just black paint?

Stay assured it is not black paint.

Considering how closely it resembles the gen (you may have a look at my BR review here) I think it is genuine PVD.

Possibly a thinner PVD, though, to give reason of its lower resistance.

Another possibility is it is black oxide. But black oxiding stainless steel is a hard process involving strong acids and very high temperature, I suppose it is not more economically convenient than PVD. So there would be no reason for the makers to use that black oxide instead of PVD.

Forget about modifying the PVD look by wax or so.

I sympathize with your efforts. Duplicating PVD is one of the most things to do effectively. First you have to find the right blasting process (glass versus other materials). Than you need to know what size of the material and how much pressure and time to blast. That gives you the finish/sheen. Perhaps the most difficult part is identifying what chemical compound to use tiN, tiAln or any of many other chemical compounds. IMHO, the best way to do it is to bring a sample of the gen to someone who can do all the various coatings and let him figure it out. On PAM's you have the benefit of having gen PVD crowns. With the BR it has got to be next to impossible without having a sample of the gen. It does look good as is but I hav no idea what the gen looks like.

Guest watchbuff

I posted thjem before, as soon as Image shack is up and running I will post again. WHat did the PVD cost?

PVD is nice, real durable, but I think your watch needs another "coat" Contrasting against the black strap youcan see the color is off.

I powdercoated my case, cost , about $20.00. It's really rich looking and durable.

OK, I'll bite...Please tell us more.

Did you do it yourself, or have it done? How is the durability? Can threaded surfaces be coated, or do you have to mask them to preserve tolerances.

Remember, the OEM finish on the B&R is "Carbon Powder Coating", and not PVD.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the second case has been coated and the post office treied to deliver it yesterday -Arrrrrggghhhhh

Im going away for a 5 day break in the Whitsunday islands, google it, so i wont be able to get it until about Wednesday of next week.

When i do get it hopefully itll be great!

Ill post pics when i can

Cheers