When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions on what new gen to buy

teddy boy

I'm thinking about buying a new gen. My last purchase was a gen Omega SMP, black with James Bond Bracelet. I'm thinking about buying either a Breitling Superocean in blue. I can get that for about $1500 online with the rubber strap or around $1900 with the bracelet. Is the bracelet worth $400 over the strap?

The other option would be the Omega Planet Ocean which I can buy online for around $2200. If I go with the Planet Ocean, I'd buy the orange bezel to distinguish from my SMP. Any opinions?

Finally, does anyone know anything about sellers like Alan Furman, Prestige Time etc. who sell gens online at discounted price? Thanks in advance.

I'd go with the PO, check jomashop.com as I am not familiar with the others you listed.

That's a good site. I have another, but let me search for it first.

In the meantime, here are two similar threads on this very topic, Teddy Boy. It seems the general consensus was an Omega SMP. That would be mine too, if you didn't have it already.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=93894

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=306106

EDIT: Found the site which my mother used for a few gen purchases this year.

Jacobtime.com

For example:

Tag Heuer Aquaracer Automatic Chronograph Mens Watch CAF2112.BA0809

Retail Price: $2,495.00

Save 25% $623.75

Jacobtime.com Price: $1,871.25

http://www.jacobtime.com/osc/product_info....roducts_id=2106

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Mens Watch 2909.50.91

Retail Price: $3,200.00

Save 33% $1,056.00

Jacobtime.com Price: $2,144.00

http://www.jacobtime.com/osc/product_info....roducts_id=3283

Both over your asking price, but at least it's a good reference. :)

That's a good site. I have another, but let me search for it first.

In the meantime, here are two similar threads on this very topic, Teddy Boy. It seems the general consensus was an Omega SMP. That would be mine too, if you didn't have it already.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=93894

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=306106

EDIT: Found the site which my mother used for a few gen purchases this year.

Jacobtime.com

For example:

Tag Heuer Aquaracer Automatic Chronograph Mens Watch CAF2112.BA0809

Retail Price: $2,495.00

Save 25% $623.75

Jacobtime.com Price: $1,871.25

http://www.jacobtime.com/osc/product_info....roducts_id=2106

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Mens Watch 2909.50.91

Retail Price: $3,200.00

Save 33% $1,056.00

Jacobtime.com Price: $2,144.00

http://www.jacobtime.com/osc/product_info....roducts_id=3283

Both over your asking price, but at least it's a good reference. :)

Stephane, Thanks for your input. Actually the PO is in the price range that I'm expecting. That your mother used the site is a good recommendation. I'm going to savor this decision for a while and then pull the trigger. I might also look at a new constellation (although I have an old one with a 561 movement) and consider that as something very different from my SMP. Thanks again.

Stephane, Thanks for your input. Actually the PO is in the price range that I'm expecting. That your mother used the site is a good recommendation. I'm going to savor this decision for a while and then pull the trigger. I might also look at a new constellation (although I have an old one with a 561 movement) and consider that as something very different from my SMP. Thanks again.

The Railmaster looked very nice too, and within your price range.

BTW, I am not Stephane -- that's a Belgian guy, I'm a British girl named Victoria. :)

The Railmaster looked very nice too, and within your price range.

BTW, I am not Stephane -- that's a Belgian guy, I'm a British girl named Victoria. :)

Victoria, sorry for the mistake, I'm not very good at details. I've been to your country and look forward to when I can return.

Thanks for the additional information to you and everyone who posted in my thread.

Victoria, sorry for the mistake, I'm not very good at details. I've been to your country and look forward to when I can return.

Thanks for the additional information to you and everyone who posted in my thread.

She lives in the southern U.S. now which if you think about it is like a whole other country. B)

She lives in the southern U.S. now which if you think about it is like a whole other country. B)

I live in southern U.S. and agree that it is like a whole other country. Funny that you should use that phrase, Forrest Gump said something to that effect when he said he was going to Vietnam. We went to England three times when my stepdaugher was there and I always said, "it's a whole other country."

I live in southern U.S. and agree that it is like a whole other country. Funny that you should use that phrase, Forrest Gump said something to that effect when he said he was going to Vietnam. We went to England three times when my stepdaugher was there and I always said, "it's a whole other country."

Hi Teddy Boy,

Not to go off topic, but my wife and I are moving to NC within the next couple months. I say Edenton, she says Wilmington. What do you think?

And yes, I would also prefer the PO which looks MUCH better in the flesh than in photos. Simplistic, yet elegant.

I'm thinking about buying a new gen. My last purchase was a gen Omega SMP, black with James Bond Bracelet. I'm thinking about buying either a Breitling Superocean in blue. I can get that for about $1500 online with the rubber strap or around $1900 with the bracelet. Is the bracelet worth $400 over the strap?

The other option would be the Omega Planet Ocean which I can buy online for around $2200. If I go with the Planet Ocean, I'd buy the orange bezel to distinguish from my SMP. Any opinions?

Finally, does anyone know anything about sellers like Alan Furman, Prestige Time etc. who sell gens online at discounted price? Thanks in advance.

Out of the watches you mentioned, I would go with the Planet Ocean. I cannot tell you what value a bracelet may or may not have over a strap; that is a personal decision. I generally prefer steel over hide, because I tend to wear more sports clothes than suits and I equate hide with formality. It is also much easier to clean steel (in an ultrasonic) than hide.

Alan Furman is an established and reliable watch seller. They have a quite posh storefront in addition to their online shop, but I do not know what, if any, discount they would offer. Never dealt with Prestige Time.

How kind, Teddy Boy. I can tell there's a certain sympathy already, without you mentioning it, by your nickname. ;)

David Yurman was an interesting suggestion, and one I had never thought of giving you (my mum is a big fan of his jewelry). If we're going that way, check out Technomarines too.

I think you should get a Patek Philippe.

Gosh I love them so much. How about a vintage model? Nothing too fancy... great investment though, always.

Are there Patek's out there that don't cost an arm and a leg?

What would y'all think about an Omega Aqua Terra?

So far as the Edenton vs. Wilmington question, I don't really know either area very well. I live in the Charlotte area and it's nice here although growing too fast.

Are there Patek's out there that don't cost an arm and a leg?

What would y'all think about an Omega Aqua Terra?

So far as the Edenton vs. Wilmington question, I don't really know either area very well. I live in the Charlotte area and it's nice here although growing too fast.

I've narrowed things down to an IWC Mark XVI and an Omega Railmaster. The biggest positive of the IWC is the name, it uses the ETA 2892-A, with some extra detail and finishing. The Railmaster uses the co-axial movement. I'm torn because I already own an Omega SMP and several older Omegas. I don't have an IWC. However, the movement in the Railmaster is better. Opinions would be welcome and helpful.