When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega on the moon!

jmt

I just saw the Omega Seamaster (I think) that Jim Lovel wore in space in person. Really impressive to me just to think that a mechanical watch works so well without in weightlessness. Never been much of an Omega guy, but that really struck me. Amazing. Maybe I gotta go for an Omega next!

Anyone know of any vintage reps around...loved the look of that 1960's chrono...

Just lok at all the pretty "moon pictures" most have orientation cross hairs behind objects.... Not to mention multiple sources of light....No crater under lunar landing module that has a very obvious rocket under it to reduce it's speed when apreaching lunar surface. Oh yeah how every picture of the landing module or the austronauts seem to always be well lit to show off the america flag.

And if you want to get scientific, the radiation levels when travelling soo far away from earth will kill a man even with todays technology.

But it is a nice watch B)

Guest herculesmeister

whether they went or not...what i don't understand is that in the 60's it takes less then a decade, remember JFK's promise to put a man on the moon when some 45 years later Bush promises that within 30 years we'll go back to the moon.

If there's one thing that really makes my blood boil, it's people claiming we never went to the moon. There is no way to make yourself look more stupid than ignoring every piece of evidence (including home tests if you have a laser) that we landed on the moon.

Of all the conspiracies to believe in, the one of the moon landing being a hoax is the only one that actively tries to make us (as a race) look less impressive than we are. It's the one that denies our adventurous spirit and throws us back to being lying apes instead of heroic pioneers. What is it that makes us want to deny our dreams and hopes?

We landed on the [censored]ing moon, we took photos and we came back. We did it on gumption, can-do attitude and balls and we did it armed with merely with men in lab-coats wielding slide rules and clip boards, and that makes us mighty. The men that went up there did so at the risk of death, just to push the boundaries and climb towards greatness.

Would you rather believe we're timid shitevoles, scrabbling round pretending we went to the moon? If so, I pity you.

whether they went or not...what i don't understand is that in the 60's it takes less then a decade, remember JFK's promise to put a man on the moon when some 45 years later Bush promises that within 30 years we'll go back to the moon.

That's because when JFK said it, it was a bold challenge and had an unlimited budget as it was a huge part of the cold war. Safety of the astronauts was pretty much a secondary concern and they knew it. When Bush said it'd take 30 years, he meant that with a very limited budget, increased safety requirements and no real need to go, they'd get round to it. I mean, we've been; why push hard just to go again?

Guest herculesmeister
That's because when JFK said it, it was a bold challenge and had an unlimited budget as it was a huge part of the cold war. Safety of the astronauts was pretty much a secondary concern and they knew it. When Bush said it'd take 30 years, he meant that with a very limited budget, increased safety requirements and no real need to go, they'd get round to it. I mean, we've been; why push hard just to go again?

Fair enough. Guess it also plays part that these moon missions are to serve as a 'springboard' to a possible mars program.

(spelling edit)

Edited by herculesmeister

Fair enough. Guess it also plays part that these moon missions are to serve as a 'springboard' to a possible mars program.

... and that they most likely want to bring the equipment back, unlike back in the 60s and 70s where they threw money away on disposable rockets, landers, etc.

If there's one thing that really makes my blood boil, it's people claiming we never went to the moon. There is no way to make yourself look more stupid than ignoring every piece of evidence (including home tests if you have a laser) that we landed on the moon.

Of all the conspiracies to believe in, the one of the moon landing being a hoax is the only one that actively tries to make us (as a race) look less impressive than we are. It's the one that denies our adventurous spirit and throws us back to being lying apes instead of heroic pioneers. What is it that makes us want to deny our dreams and hopes?

We landed on the [censored]ing moon, we took photos and we came back. We did it on gumption, can-do attitude and balls and we did it armed with merely with men in lab-coats wielding slide rules and clip boards, and that makes us mighty. The men that went up there did so at the risk of death, just to push the boundaries and climb towards greatness.

Would you rather believe we're timid shitevoles, scrabbling round pretending we went to the moon? If so, I pity you.

I'm sorry Pug, didn't mean to offend you. I just find it hard to believe that they (the original mission) really went to the moon. If they did more power to them I say. I'm not saying no one ever went to the moon, but they sure seemed anxious to get there before the Russians. Space exploration should a MANKIND event, not one nation trying to outdo the other. If our planet is ever visited by another species it tells us one thing....they are more advanced then we are.

I just find it hard to believe that they (the original mission) really went to the moon.

So, the fact they put a mirror there you can shine a laser at and get a reflection back on earth is ... what exactly? An astronomer's conspiracy? Amateurs the world over tracked the moon landing with telescopes and radios. They either had to land on the moon or fly a TV transmitter up to the moon on a robotic mission with pre-timed video and space robots at the wheel. Honestly, which is more likely.

Don't let your own ignorance of the technology and the event prejudice you against its having happened. ;)

For instance, the TV signals were received at Parkes Observatory in Australia meaning it'd be a hoax involving the US and Australia, involving both amateur and professional astronomers and scientists in several countries. How on earth could they keep a lid on something this widespread and important if it were a hoax?

Space exploration should a MANKIND event, not one nation trying to outdo the other.

If it takes competition to push us to do the impossible, then I say bring it on. Yes, it should be a mankind thing, but that's not going to happen. If China want a race to Mars, I'm all for it. Whatever it takes to get us out of the [censored]ing cave.

Edit: Parkes Observatory story during Apollo 11: http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_event...troduction.html

Exactly Pug, I feel conspiracy theories (read the first website I posted to see the answers to the nay-sayers) really negate the achievements that happened in the sixties (I watched the Apollo 11 landing when I was 3 months old because my parents wanted me to see a bit of history). It wasn't just the US's mission (in fact a significant proportion of the scientists at NASA were British, amongst other nationalities) - millions if not billions of people around the world had an investment in that mission - it was humankind literally reaching for the stars.

I may be mistaken but I don't think Jim Lovell ever landed on the moon. He was on Apollo 8 and Apollo 13 which was aborted during the mission.

Actually none of these watches ever "landed" on the moon. It was a pretty convincing movie set though....

You're right... I got over excited in the title. Notice the post just said "in space..." Don't really know if an Omega actually was on the moon, but micro-gravity for sure.. ;)

So, the fact they put a mirror there you can shine a laser at and get a reflection back on earth is ... what exactly? An astronomer's conspiracy? Amateurs the world over tracked the moon landing with telescopes and radios. They either had to land on the moon or fly a TV transmitter up to the moon on a robotic mission with pre-timed video and space robots at the wheel. Honestly, which is more likely.

Don't let your own ignorance of the technology and the event prejudice you against its having happened. ;)

For instance, the TV signals were received at Parkes Observatory in Australia meaning it'd be a hoax involving the US and Australia, involving both amateur and professional astronomers and scientists in several countries. How on earth could they keep a lid on something this widespread and important if it were a hoax?

If it takes competition to push us to do the impossible, then I say bring it on. Yes, it should be a mankind thing, but that's not going to happen. If China want a race to Mars, I'm all for it. Whatever it takes to get us out of the [censored]ing cave.

Edit: Parkes Observatory story during Apollo 11: http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_event...troduction.html

AND... Pug's absolutely right. This whole micro-thread :) is absolutely silly beyond belief. We landed on the moon. Jeez. Move on. Let's talk about the mob and JFK for a while... ;)

Hello? Did I completely misread people in this thread? I thought Lord Rasta and others were genuinely being funny. Of course we went to the moon.

...God, I hate conspiracy theories.