When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New IWC SS with double AR coating coming soon?

gunnars

Hi all you IWC people. Im a newbie here, and have recently discovered IWC! I want to buy a simple IWC rep, like an SS, and I have heard from Jay at Silix that a new IWC SS with double AR coating coming soon? Anyone care to confirm this? And supposedly, its a "1:1 rep". Can you please tell me what is the practical use of AR coats, and what a 1:1 rep means? Where lies the quality difference?

Thanks for all info... ;)

Will

I got an email from Silix last night and he said he has the latest IWC Ingy SS with double AR. I don't see it on his site yet but he said it has a 2824 movement.

@ gunnars 1:1 means the case is an exact 1 to 1 replica of the real thing. They basically have to get the gen version then reverse engineer it. Most if not all 1:1 reps easily take gen parts.

Hi all you IWC people. Im a newbie here, and have recently discovered IWC! I want to buy a simple IWC rep, like an SS, and I have heard from Jay at Silix that a new IWC SS with double AR coating coming soon? Anyone care to confirm this? And supposedly, its a "1:1 rep". Can you please tell me what is the practical use of AR coats, and what a 1:1 rep means? Where lies the quality difference?

Thanks for all info... ;)

Will

Uhm... what model are you refering to? Aquatimer? Ingenieur? Pilot Mark XV?

There are a lot of stainless steel models, which might come out, soon.

(I think we're waiting for the slevin about 6 month now?)

Uhm... what model are you refering to? Aquatimer? Ingenieur? Pilot Mark XV?

There are a lot of stainless steel models, which might come out, soon.

(I think we're waiting for the slevin about 6 month now?)

Thanks for all the generous input. And I apologize for my imprecise info. I meant; the IWC0016A - Ingeniuer Automatic SS White - Swiss ETA 2824-2.

But what about the double AR? As the now model arrives, I imagine the previous will be sold cheaper? Why should I care about the double layer of AR? Isnt is just a gimmick or does is have a practical meaning in real "watchlife"? I know the basic concept of Anti reflex coating, from binocular optics, but fail to see the relevance here, and thus reveal my ignorance :-)

I appreciate any input on this ----- :-))

Gunnars

I previously bought a Rolex Datejust and now I regret it, sadly. I should much prefere an IWC!

This is from Andrew's site, Trusty Time. We're talking about Silix-Prime, a different dealer. I don't know if Andrew has any plans to offer an IWC with double AR.

I understand the difference between the dealers. I only referred to the TT as a referance number for the IWC watch. Jay assured me yesterday that he will sell the new model. Personally, I will not deal with Andrew at TT. Very arrogant type.

Will

But what about the double AR? As the now model arrives, I imagine the previous will be sold cheaper? Why should I care about the double layer of AR? Isnt is just a gimmick or does is have a practical meaning in real "watchlife"? I know the basic concept of Anti reflex coating, from binocular optics, but fail to see the relevance here, and thus reveal my ignorance :-)

>snip<

I previously bought a Rolex Datejust and now I regret it, sadly. I should much prefere an IWC!

Double AR means anti-reflective coating on boath sides of the crystal.

Should you care? Depends on your priorities. Most would agree that the double AR makes the most difference if the dial you choose is a dark colour. On a white-faced dial, the double AR is less noticeable. If you are wondering if it's a gimmick or not...pop into an Authorized Dealer (AD) and take a look at the real watches. You will see that on watches with double AR (IWC, Breitling, etc...not Rolex), the crystal can seem to disappear as there is not reflection at all for the most part (except at certain angles where you will get varying shades of subtle blue reflection). It's a pretty distinguishing feature.

For most of the "public", if they don't see a gen and a rep side by side (the gen with double AR and the rep without), they will not notice the difference...just like they will not notice the difference on a slow beat vs high beat movement, or quartz vs. mechanical movement for all that matters. :(

BUT...for the WIS public (pretty much most of the horo-geeks on these forums), they can use lack of double AR to spot a rep on someone's wrist on the far side of a football stadium.

You have to decide where your priorities are. Generally, on a popular watch there will likely be an Asian version with mineral crystal and no AR, and an ETA version with double AR saphire. The price premium for the latter can be up to double (or more in the case of genuine Swiss ETA 7750 movements).

Do you want "close enough" to genuine appearance, or do you need "as close as possible"?

Hey...and don't knock the Rollie DJ...it's a classic to which I have a gen of. :)

I too have a nice Rollie, all gold but it's a DD with a gen dial. Very dressy and you would have to open it to spot it as a rep unless you can tell based on the hands which most people cannot.

Yup...DJs and DDs are much more of an understated rep compared with an all gold Navitimer or Bentley...and in all gold, they pack much more >umph<...

But we digress...this thread is about the IWCs...hah hah...

Ah!... thanks, you are both informative and funny, a rare and delightful combination :-) I shall certainly wait for the double AR.

About Rollies... I agree. The DD is a beautiful design. I guess my concern is more with the intuitive scepticism of the public towards Rolex as a brand.... Perhaps my reservations reveal an deeper insecurity? And what about my wish to be admired for a luxurious work of art, when I know the truth is that my watch is an (relatively) inexpensive copy? Is this a patological need that will lead me to schizoprenia or simply an innocent pastime? Im not at all certain :-)

Anyroad, thanks a lot for your time and comments to enlighten me: I like it around here!

Will :p

I quote:

Perhaps my reservations reveal an deeper insecurity? And what about my wish to be admired for a luxurious work of art, when I know the truth is ...

In that case...skip the watch...grab some Rogaine...a Suzanne Summer's Thighmaster and a Richard Simmon's Sweatin' to the Oldie's video (yup...video...we're talking mechanical watches here...no digital DVD crap here)