When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

French, look away!

Victoria

HAHA wow! Dont you learn that in uhm.. grade 1?

Ahh, you had grade 12 for a moment! Whew, I was gonna say -- what school did you go to? :lol:

Yep, by grade 3/3rd grade, you should know the moon orbits the earth. HOWEVER, and this is funny, if you see the comments, there are some who point out that the French verbs "graviter" and "obiter" might've thrown this guy and the audience off. REALLY now. ;)

Ahh, you had grade 12 for a moment! Whew, I was gonna say -- what school did you go to? :lol:

Yep, by grade 3/3rd grade, you should know the moon orbits the earth. HOWEVER, and this is funny, if you see the comments, there are some who point out that the French verbs "graviter" and "obiter" might've thrown this guy and the audience off. REALLY now. ;)

I studied in both the American and the French education systems. Several degrees in both. For all the gold in the world, I will never allow a kid I care for to study in the American education system. At least before the university.

When I took Physics 101 in college in the US, I had already covered the discussed topics between the age of 12 to 17-18 in France. electricity, mechanics, optics, geology, chemistry, Relativity, geography, WORLD history, geopolitics,economics, Philosophy, Literature, etc... were not optional. By the time I turned 15, I was already familiar 2 foreign languages. again, not optional.

Thats why I know a little bit about the economics of Brazil or the historical past of china, Russia or the middle east. No multiple guess tests either. It was all either essay type tests or problems in maths or physics. you miss the first answer and your whole problem is wrong, you might still get points for reasoning.

If I remember well, School was roughly from 8 to 5 with wednesday afternoon off.

About 3.5 hours of maths, 5 hours of english, 1.5 hours of physics, 1.5 hours of natural sciences, 1.5 hours of technological sciences, 3 hours of PE (some schools :5), 1 hour of music, 1 hour of arts, 3 hours of history/ geography. 3 hours of german or spanish or japanese or italian, 4 hours of French.

Thats a pretty busy schedule. and after shcool, most schools required us to study 2 hours every night.

Several of my American friends, who are nevertheless smart and had good results in school, don't know anything about the cold war for example.

I didn t go to high school in the usa, only college. Therefore I can only judge from I heard, saw in college. My first experience was in a community college, then a public university followed by a private university. I didn t see much of a difference.

I am certainly not saying that everybody in France is a Nobel Prize of Physics (who is French this year BTW), as shown by the somber idiot in youtube.

I am not saying that the French education system is perfect either. I am just saying that if I had the choice, I ll send my kids to a French (or European) middle/high school rather than to an American counterpart.

Edited by saviboy

I am not saying that the French education system is perfect either. I am just saying that if I had the choice, I ll send my kids to a French (or European) middle/high school rather than to an American counterpart.

I see that the Americans and Germans who replied in the threads to which THIS was a reply exhibited more grace and a sense of comedy about themselves than you did.

Though I suppose the real moral of the story of these types of threads is that the stupid, inelegant, or incredible behaviour of the few is not a condemnation of the many, or the full story.

To think such a thing is to be a bigot.

Ah, french people ....

We are capable of the best like the worth ^_^

Anyway, i think that if we search in the american version of this game, we should find some delicious tv moment :p

I remember a friend of mine who studied a MBA, half in France on the other half in USA. He told me that some american students asked him if in France people have the tap water (not sure of the translation) or the electricity ......

Ah, french people ....

We are capable of the best like the worth ^_^

Anyway, i think that if we search in the american version of this game, we should find some delicious tv moment :p

I remember a friend of mine who studied a MBA, half in France on the other half in USA. He told me that some american students asked him if in France people have the tap water (not sure of the translation) or the electricity ......

Thanks Golfman, but this is the pick on Frenchies thread, not pick on Yanks thread. Please go there ---> :)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=56763&hl=

I see that the Americans and Germans who replied in the threads to which THIS was a reply exhibited more grace and a sense of comedy about themselves than you did.

Though I suppose the real moral of the story of these types of threads is that the stupid, inelegant, or incredible behaviour of the few is not a condemnation of the many, or the full story.

To think such a thing is to be a bigot

I was expecting such a reaction. I am really sorry if I offended you in any ways (though you clearly don't mind implying that I am stupid inelegant bigot: bellicosity, even when expressed eloquently is still bellicosity).I thought I was careful enough with the choice of my words to reflect my objectivity.

Thanks Golfman, but this is the pick on Frenchies thread, not pick on Yanks thread. Please go there ---> :)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=56763&hl=

Oups ......

You are right vbarrett !!!!

I have began to read the new post (after few days off) and then read this one before the first one ....

Ah, french people .... always talking faster than they think... ;)

I was expecting such a reaction. I am really sorry if I offended you in any ways (though you clearly don't mind implying that I am stupid inelegant bigot: bellicosity, even when expressed eloquently is still bellicosity).I thought I was careful enough with the choice of my words to reflect my objectivity.

The broadside is aimed at all people who feel this way, not necessarily at you, Saviboy.

That doesn't help your feeling that I disrespected you, of course, but may I just say that making sweeping commentaries about a whole people you met at community college was hardly "objective" either.

Your treatise response was touchy, instead of laughing at your own, in a situation as funny as the one posted by Apey.

In fact, it reminded me of Bernard-Henri L

The broadside is aimed at all people who feel this way, not necessarily at you, Saviboy.

That doesn't help your feeling that I disrespected you, of course, but may I just say that making sweeping commentaries about a whole people you met at community college was hardly "objective" either.

Your treatise response was touchy, instead of laughing at your own, in a situation as funny as the one posted by Apey.

In fact, it reminded me of Bernard-Henri L

Vbarret, just like President Sarko did it with President Bush, I would like to bury the hatchet.

Additionnaly, we might run into each other in Miami as I believe you are a south floridian local.

BTW, I buried the hatchet in Bal Harbour Shops. If you see a girl covered in soil, and wearing a Fiddy, wave.

BTW, I buried the hatchet in Bal Harbour Shops. If you see a girl covered in soil, and wearing a Fiddy, wave.

covered in soil?. is that a metaphor I am not grasping because I speak the language of Moliere and not Shakespeare's ?

I live in aventura btw

Edited by saviboy

covered in soil?. is that a metaphor I am not grasping because I speak the language of Moliere and not Shakespeare's ?

I live in aventura btw

that is too bad, because that was funny.. i am still rolling.